Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chronoplasm

Just Got 3DS MAX!

OK, so I just got Autodesk 3Ds max and I'm starting to learn how to use it. I'm going to use it to make some new sprites for a Doom WAD.

This will be the head of Canos or Hell Hound (haven't quite settled opn a name yet.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/otakucyborg/Canos.png

These guys will be melee based enemies that guard entrances and hunt in packs. There will be a three-headed variant called Cerberus that acts as an alpha-male for the group.

Other monsters I want to make for Doom:

• Cultist (a black-robed human who, like the Pain Elemental, does not attack directly, but instead summons other monsters for you to fight. Cultists are weak and have very little armor, but they are capable of summoning Demons.)
  • Hunter Killer (a cybernetically augmented zombie with a circular saw for an arm. It has a strong melee attack and can shoot its saws with a disc launcher.)
  • Gryllus (these strange creatures look like human heads with a pair of bird legs sticking out from where the ears should be and a reptilian tail for a neck.)

I take it your getting some of your inspiration for this project from Blood? That's what Cerebus/hellhounds and cultists immediately brings to mind.

It'd be cool if you added the Hunter Killer's circular saw launcher as a new weapon for DOOM guy, that way he could pick up ammo from the HK too.

I've actually never played Blood. I'll have to check it out.

The circular saw launcher would need a secondary fire capability for the melee mode. Maybe I could give all of the weapons in the WAD secondary firing capabilities? That should be doable, right?

leileilol said:

it's a shame. Quite a hole in the wallet for something old and very broken.

*edit*

I mean, yar, that be unfortunate.

I'm not gonna lie, they are both pretty hideous. Now I'm no expert on modeling (ask Leileilol about that) but there doesn't appear to be any consistency or progression of form here. It looks like an ugly mess of triangles. But hey, maybe they'll look different finished.

That's generally to be expected when one is new at this sort of thing. Yeah, they suck now, I admit, but the more I work at it the better I will get.
I'll talk to Leileilol. I can use some good constructive criticism. Thanks. :)

it looks like your just tugging on verticies from a primitive to make your objects instead of building your geometry out and sculpting. The face didn't look all that horrible until you showed the back.

It may be true that they don't look so great as models at the moment, but considering they're going to be turned into Doom sprites and those faces will consist of dimensions of maybe 10 or 15 pixels, the models will probably serve their purpose just fine. I wouldn't get too carried away detailing and fine-tuning something that will have such a low-res final render, and any blatant issues could be easier corrected in a graphics editor once rendered.

I'd say lower the brow some more to where it's almost over the eyes, for the sake of making it look more angry, and resemble the sprite more.