Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Help! Trying to run PSX Doom disc on a emulator!

Ok, so i bought PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom from Amazon.com, and of course i completely forgot about the stupid region lock!

So now i am trying to use the ePSXe emulator on my PC to run the game discs. But when i go file and chose run CDROM the screen just turns black and nothing happens!

Can somebody help me with this! I spend like 60 dollars on the games them self's and 40 dollars for the customs. That's a hundred dollars and i WILL NOT give up on this!!!!!!

EDIT: uh! i just chose the wrong CD drive sorry! But now i have another problem!

The game runs like SUPER SUPER SUPER FAST! How can i get it to run at normal speed?

EDIT: Also the sound us fucked up to death, how can i fix that?

fraggle said:

You paid over $100 for two PS1 games? Seriously?

No, once they had been paid for, shipped over to my country, and taxed by the customs, they overall cost was about hundred dollars. It sucks i know, but there was nothing i could do about it.

dutch devil said:

Buy an second hand ps1, there problem solved.

Not as simple as you think, i can't think of anybody who sells Psx 1 consoles, and i sure as hell don't know about anybody who sells Psx 1 consoles that plays something else then in PAL.

Besides on the internet i mean, and i don't feel like spending another 50-60 dollars on buying it and getting it shipped over here only to be taxed yet again by the customs.

Can't you get those games somewhere in your own country, looking for psx related adds in local papers stuff like that.Maybe some local site within your own country that sells second hand stuff.

Or visiting fleamarkets sometimes you run into sellers who sell their old consoles.

I am afraid not, please understand that Iceland is a very small country, only 300.000 people live in it and not even half of that number lives in the capital, Do you know how many stores one of the larges video game selling company in the whole country owns? About 15! yep! 15 stores in the whole country, plus 2 shopping malls and some smaller stores. If i can't find it there (and i have looked all over the place trust me!) then the game/console/whatever simply can't be found. I mean why do you think i bought the two games over Amazon.com in the first place, i even had to buy Doom 3: ROE for my Xbox on Amazon.com since no store i knew was selling it!

And even if i would find someone who is willing to sell his PSX then it would still be console that only plays PAL games.

fraggle said:

You paid over $100 for two PS1 games? Seriously?

Off Amazon.com too? Why don't you take a walk to the local EBGames or something?

JohnnyRancid said:

Off Amazon.com too? Why don't you take a walk to the local EBGames or something?

What's a EBGames? If it is a store or a company then i haven't heard of it, and if it is a store then there are such stores where i live or else i would know.

RightField said:

put an fps cap in the video plugin setup?

Yea i did that, and now framerates are not super fast but still choopy, and the video quality sucks ass!

hardcore_gamer said:

Yea i did that, and now framerates are not super fast but still choopy, and the video quality sucks ass!

I take it you never saw a Playstation before?

hardcore_gamer said:

Is that the same thing as the ePSXe emulator that i am using?

pSX is supposed to be a perfect emulation of the machine (note I've never actually used the emulator, I have no PSX games or PSX).

hardcore_gamer said:

If you want to emulate the PSX, the fps should be 50 for a PAL game or 59 for an NTSC game. Though very few, if any PSX games actually got anywhere near those values in reality because the PSX wasn't up to it. I think many clocked in at around 20-30 fps depending upon how busy things were on screen.

One of the advantages of emulators with fps control is that you can make them play faster or slower than they would on the original console. But in many cases the fps you set would also slow or speed up the audio.

hardcore_gamer said:

Is that the same thing as the ePSXe emulator that i am using?

No. There are a lot of PlayStation emulators out there, but pSX is probably the most accurate. You don't need plug-ins either, just BIOS. But I haven't tried it with PS1 Doom, so I can't tell you if it's compatible.

I play most of my PSX stuff on my PSP these days. Doom/Final Doom work fine on it (as long as you remember to do a raw dump that includes the CDDA tracks).

For what it's worth, it works fine for me in Epsxe either loading my physical PS disc or a .cue file of its image. However it's known not to work with PSX (or at least it doesn't draw the walls).

Run ePSXe version 1.7.0 with Pete's OpenGL 2.9

Cap the framerate at either 60 or 50 (depending on whether it's PAL or NTSC)

Also, I recommend making images of those CDs for playing from the hard drive.

pSX has graphical errors with PSXDoom.

pSX is a good emulator, that plays many games well, but as far as compatibility is concerned, ePSXe is actually superior, even if pSX goes for more accuracy.

hardcore_gamer said:

It's SUPPOSED to run this way. FPS on consoles back when the PSX was popular were either hard to control, or choppy and buggy.

And even if PSX Doom has neither of those problems, what did you expect?! This is a 3D game console from 1995! I'd be surprised to see any fully 3D game on the PSX that can go above 24 FPS. No offense...

Dgon92 said:

And even if PSX Doom has neither of those problems, what did you expect?! This is a 3D game console from 1995! I'd be surprised to see any fully 3D game on the PSX that can go above 24 FPS. No offense...

Um, there are plenty of PSX games that are fully 3D and run above 24FPS. Hell, there are some that run at 60FPS, like Tekken 3, Toshinden 3, Tobal #1, Tobal #2, the Ridge Racer game that came with Ridge Racer R4, etc, etc.

Dgon92 said:

Where did you get the '24' number from? Metal Gear Solid ran at 30.. so I guess you better be surprised already.

Well, I haven't played a lot of playstation games, so it's natural to be inaccurate.

However, I think it's natural for PSX Doom to run at 30 fps. I could be wrong though, I haven't played the game, though I did watch youtube videos of it.

And to the person who's having trouble playing PSX Doom, maybe you need to take a screenshot of the game running on your emulator and post it here, so we can see what the problem is.

I see. Youtube videos can never be used as an accurate representation of the frame rate in a game. More often than not, the frame rate is decreased to make the video smaller.

Well, yeah, I mean, It's hard to tell framerate on Youtube in the first place. But, what am I to talk about framerate about an old game or an online video?

I've heard great things about PSX Doom. Some say it's even better than the PC version.

Dgon92 said:

I've heard great things about PSX Doom. Some say it's even better than the PC version.

Depends on how you want to look at it. PSX Doom's music was very eerie and atmospheric at times, and the colored lighting definitely helped.

The levels were less detailed though, and I recall some enemies (revenant for example) are slowed down. It was a respectable port considering everything.

PSX Hexen however, was terrible. Ran so slow.