Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jute

Changing map numbers

I've made a few maps that I would like to compile into a single .wad. The problem is that they are all MAP01. How can I change a map's title/number?

One way is to rename the level number markers (the headers before the 10 map lumps) through XWE or the like.

Will that also change all the following lumps, though? I assumed that they would still all be referencing MAP01 erroneously.

No changes are needed, as only the marker defines the particular level slot for each set of 10 map-specific lumps.

If you're using Doom Builder, there's a much easier way. Open your WAD, go to Edit, then Map Options (or press F2). From there, just change the number where it says "Level name:". Press OK, save your WAD, and you're done. Just repeat the same steps for each WAD you want to change.

If you want to put them all in a single .wad file you can use "Save Into" after you renamed your map and it will write the map into the .wad file you specify.

Subatomic said:
If you're using Doom Builder, there's a much easier way. Open your WAD, go to Edit, then Map Options (or press F2). From there, just change the number where it says "Level name:". Press OK, save your WAD, and you're done. Just repeat the same steps for each WAD you want to change.

That works too, but it's not easier as it needs more steps. I guess it might be faster for someone who's been editing in DB but has never used a WAD editing tool yet.

myk said:

That works too, but it's not easier as it needs more steps. I guess it might be faster for someone who's been editing in DB but has never used a WAD editing tool yet.

In my experience, it's at the very least safer (for a beginner) than XWE.