Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
madk

Deserted, My first WAD.

Hi there, Doomworld. I recently got into level creation for Doom, and I'm quite happy with the fruits of my labor. It's a level with a desert/Egyptian theme and many surprises. The level is beatable; I beat it on 'Ultra Violence' difficulty with decent ammo left a bit ago, and all I've done since then is fix some enemies and add some extra ammo. Also, I don't play many FPS games, and this is my first week of Doom, so it can't be that impossible.

There's no real backstory behind it, you're just some dude who's exploring an ancient desert temple. With a gun. Yea.

The level aims to flood you with monsters when and where you least expect it. There are several secrets, none of which are required for completion of the level.

I used the FreeDoom WAD textures and graphics because I don't know how to make my own yet.
BTW, if someone can post a link to some sort of tutorial for editing the enemies and graphics aspects of the game, that would be great.

If anyone can beat the level on Nightmare difficulty without saving/reloading once, I will recognize your mad skills and tag you as a mentor =D

I am not aware of any glitches and there are only a couple, very minor texture misalignments that I'm too lazy to figure out how to how to fix. (I just spent an hour trying to get the outdoor desert view at the beginning just right, so I'm kinda tired of doing so many adjustments right now)

Please, let me know what you think. This is my first complete level, third if you count the 2 other levels which I wasn't committed enough to finish.

Download the WAD here: http://rapidshare.com/files/162917101/Deserted.zip

Oh, I should probably mention that It's made to work with Risen3D and I don't know how it'll do with anything else.

I played it in Doom2.wad and it was a bit buggy not showing some textures. It was okay. I found 3/4 secrets including the yellow key and door. I like the atmosphere with the window to outside, but that was where there was one of the visual bugs.

Good for the first map, but it needs more detail. In the outdoors, i've saw a GIANT Hall of Mirrors effect and at the lift there was a HOM too.

Work on your levels and maybe you will be a great mapper.

My other critique might be the longish hallways were slightly tiresome. But as far as linear maps go I liked it. Yeah, I got the HOM in the outside area too.

The poster writes "It's made to work with Risen3D" and nobody takes any notice and tries it in another port.

That said, the map doesn't use any Risen3D specific features. It's a Boom map which takes advantage of the different ways OpenGL ports render compared to software ports.

Here are the problems ...

Lines 522, 371, 515 and 481 need an upper texture.

The reason some users are not getting the flats rendered is because you are using textures for flats. While this does work with Risen3D and (G)Zdoom ( maybe others ? ) it is not correct practice. Textures for walls, Flats for ceilings/floors.

I was surprised that the outside area worked as you intended since it is done incorrectly. That is why all the other ports render a massive HOM here.

I think line 512 would be better as WR instead of W1.

Delete all references to AASTINKY texture and remove sprite 32000.

..... other than that, a good first wad.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I've got some ideas on how to improve.

However, I did not receive any comments on the gameplay and difficulty.

And as for the using textures as flats issue.. I need some tutorial or reference on how to add my own textures and flats as to avoid this in the future while still keeping everything looking nice. Also, is it an issue to use flats for textures?

And how do I find a particular line/sector/vertex in doom builder which has a specific number?

Sorry about all the questions, after all, this is my first week of doom building :P

madk said:

And how do I find a particular line/sector/vertex in doom builder which has a specific number?

Press Edit then Find.

Gameplay was ok, not too hard but u might want to change some textures especially what is supposed to be door textures.
Also most of the rooms looks too much alike.

Alright, thanks much for the advice.

But I'm kinda stumped on what exactly makes a level nonlinear. Some links to example wads would be excellent.

madk said:

Also, is it an issue to use flats for textures?

Depending on which port you use, yes, it can be. See what I said before.

If you want the textures to render in more ports than just zdoom and risen3D, in the folder that has your doombuilder installation look for the file called Risen3D.cfg.

Now scroll down to this ...

// Engine specific features
mixtexturesflats = 1;

and change to this ...

// Engine specific features
mixtexturesflats = 0;

Now you will only see textures for walls and flats for floors/ceilings to avoid confusion.

OR ...

simply load your wad with boom.cfg. That's probably the easiest way.

madk said:

But I'm kinda stumped on what exactly makes a level nonlinear. Some links to example wads would be excellent.

When a level has multiple ways to get to the end. Lets say the level starts out, and there are 3 ways to go. 1 is a hallway, 1 is a red key door, and 1 is a staircase down to a basement, or something. The hallway leads to a comp room, then a warehouse where the red key is located. The staircase to the basement leads to the basement, which leads to a cave, which leads to a duct, which leads to the warehouse with the red key. One thing though, the warehouse has a path leading to somewhere else, which leaves you to choose: Continue through the path, or go back to the red key door?

Sorry if it sounds a bit complicated, but just try to make more than 1 way to reach the goal.

Alright. Using my newfound knowledge, I'm now working on a level with a military base theme. So far it's nonlinear, has much more intricate and varied architecture, and it still mixes up textures and flats because nobody has told me how to put in my own yet >.>

If you want you can send me a copy of your new map that i can playtest for you before its released so i can tell if theres stuff that needs fixing (would have some use of this myself)
I can also edit the level in doom builder for you if theres something you dont know how to do.
I think i have learned most of doom builder by now.