Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What is your very first Doom/Doom 2 map/WAD and how good/bad was it?

of were going back to very very first map. then i remember it was when i first discovered doom builder. i dont have it anymore i deleted it but the whole map was one big room. no texture or detail or anything. you just started with a bfg right beside you and on 1 side of the room there were 3 Cyberdemons and 10 barons and on the other side there were 3 SpiderMasterminds and 10 arachnotrons. and there were pillars randomly placed in the big room. it had to be the all time worst desastor attempt of a map in all of doom history

From my memory.

My first map was an large square with an whole bunch of platforms where monsters stood on.The platforms all had different heights, and I used pretty much all doom2 monsters.I used the ROCKRED textures for the walls, I started in one smaller square which contained all weapons/ammo/health.There was an teleporter in that starting room that took me to the large square room with all the monsters.

The map had no doors since I didn't knew how to make those yet, it did have an exit switch somewhere in an small hallway behind one of the platforms.The map was pretty dark but the platforms had light level 255 or something.

Thats about all I can remember of that crappy thing, I don't have it anymore.

The first map for me was when I first started learning WadAuthor. I remember making levels with doors that were 64 units wide because I did not know how to change the grid size. They were mostly very square rooms with large doors, hordes of monsters and only the default textures (yay STARTAN :) ). There were no height variations at all and no special sectors or lines of any kind. The only reason I made levels at that point in time was to play them with my brother. I probably still have them laying around on my HD somewhere but I have so many wads it would be tricky to locate.

I submitted a deathmatch map for Zdaemon after a long time of experimentation and development of smaller 'projects' and it's pretty shitty. I even wanted to extend it into a series but I didn't feel like doing anymore mp maps after the third one.

However I have been working on my first true map, a vanilla SP map that I have been working very little on but I hope to eventually finish it and in the future either make similar singular maps or maybe do one for Doom 3.

I remember my first experience with wad editing. I clearly remember turning most of E1M1 into a wood- themed level, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. Didn't change a single thing, just went around pasting new textures everywhere.

I was kinda lucky with editing, coz my friend who got me into editing was already really, really good with the editors (DEU mostly) and showed me all the tricks without the long learning curve. Heh, anyway, he says to me one time "You should start making your own levels", and I remember looking at him funny and saying something like "Why the hell would I want to do that??" In truth, I was having fun just pasting textures everywhere.

But that all changed later on. Chiefly because of him showing me all his editing tricks, my first ever level actually got used in a deathmatch tournament that was held at a nearby internet/LAN cafe. This would have been mid 96, and all the pc's were still 486's though they did upgrade to 586's and even some pentiums in there later on. Ahhh, good times.

Technically, I done my first map years ago with DeepSea, 2002 I think it was. Boy was it buggy as. Had a cyber, several barons, and some others with good amount of ammo. Got sick of it all. In around 2005, got back into it, and used DoomBuilder, my first real map wasn't bad, blandish though, heh. My first release is the jokewad The Hells Grammar School. It was a very lazy half arsed map (more effort on the ACS scripting) I made considering I had to do it for an assessment task at my school, The Hills Grammar School........ got me top of the class, heh.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15425
Wasn't meant to be hilarious funny, a chuckle or so will do.

So, my first map was just a square, right? And there was this pit in the middle, and no textures on the walls of the pit. It was just an HOM. And I totally put a cyberdemon in the pit.

It was sweet.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14604

this was my first released map and quite shameful one because intended for boom while it worked only in zdoom, oh god lawl, i repeated the same mistake until 1024-4 (directors cut version 3 wasn't releaed to public due unfinished state but who cares, version 2 was best) and xenus 2 (D00ds, 3: apocalypse is in progress, quite well) haha

My first doom 2 wad was pure crap. It basically was the typical "lol skulltag" mappack that you see today. At that point I did not even know what detail was, and because people kept praising it I didn't improve for a while. Although I'd like to think 4 years later I got somewhat better ;)

Here is the wad for those who care, and yes it was 100% serious. http://www.speedyshare.com/709217251.html

Back to '94 for this one...

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14297

The second map is actually my first ever but when I packaged it up I moved it to the second slot because it is bigger than the other one. It may have been modified slightly between the initial release and this version - but any changes would have been minimal.

Actually, for a first map, especially one from when mapping was a new thing for everyone I know it's not brilliant but I'm OK with it. I'm quite proud of the fact that one of the first ever tagged actions I made was a raising staircase because they are pretty tricky to get right. :)

Hi, why would you want to play first made levels? ... My first map was “Das Labor“ version 1. I won’t release it, but here there are some pictures:

To the left there is the automap of my first level ("Das Labor" version 1).
To the right you can see version 2.

It’s better to play “Das Labor“ version 2... I don’t want anybody to play bad maps, because that’s a sin!

EDIT:

;-)

Here is my first finished level.
The Abandoned Mines II.

It was made for FreeDoom map26, so it should see similiar to original "The Abandoned Mines".

My really first maps was rooms with standard textures to see how doors worked, lifts, etc. Also made a room with all the powerups to check them out. Heh, I remember I made a door that made the whole ceiling go down.

The oldest map I still have in my possession is Salamadastron. But it's far from my first map.

My first, technically completed map was a large circular room with a pillar in the middle of it and a really low ceiling (it was probably 128 high). I then made another, rectangular room inside of the larger circle room. Incidentally I had no idea how to make solid walls so I ended up making the 'walls' from midtexturing. Then I threw in a bunch of weapons/ammo/health Map30 style along with some tech pillars and some red torches. Next I threw about 100 Cyberdemons outside of the rectangular 'room' and played the map. I was stumped as to how the rockets were getting inside of my little room...and I don't think the midtextures were displaying right or something...I remember it bugging up or something. Good times.

From there I made three other maps before Salamadastron that were what I would call truly complete. The first was a techbase/cave/hell themed map with some half-baked puzzles and gameplay. The second was a large castle-in-the-sky type map which was actually pretty cool. The third map was a nukage techbase with an annoying maze and really large rooms; though I do remember some pretty cool structures that I made in some parts of the map. The fourth map was Salamadastron. The idea was to make a 5 or 6 map set. But alas, my old computer wasn't very stable and I lost most of my work.

My first map was actually a set of maps...none of them were particularly good (okay, they were shit) but at the time I thought some of them were pretty cool. The first level was called "Halls of the clueless" and featured a whole variety of overpowered enemies which were all facing away from the player along the sides of the rooms and would not do anything unless you fired or got near a wall. It was horribly textured and not all that fun to play.

Level 2 was a long narrow zigzagging walkway about 20,000 feet over a pit of acid. There was a monster spawner. That should sum it up.

Level 3 was short and...just really badly designed. And not finished.

I skipped a bunch for some reason to level 9, which was an uninspired arena-type map, where you were given all the monsters, one type at a time.

Level 10 was a cramped MAP30-style level.

I also did a MAP32 replacement, which was probably the best of the bunch (not to say it was good...because it wasn't.) The only interesting thing was that it had a big hammer and sickle drawn in the middle arena for some reason.

I still have that WAD around, but I can't be bothered to upload it right this minute.

I started around '95 so my map doesn't exist anymore.

It was playable. But ugly as shit.

My first wad, now long gone, was called "Areana 5000" back in 95 or so.

I accidently spelt "Arena" incorrectly. But didn't bother to change it once I realized I had as it was a unique name, if not really very descriptive or good.

Originally it was literally a large open arena with a boss spitter and Romero head on a large ledge at the far end. You couldn't auto aim at the head so you had to travel down a red corridor running around the right side of the arena that had some stairs at the end that took you up to the ledge.

I revised and extended it several times as I learnt how to do more such as doors, triggers, teleporters etc.

Captain Ventris said:

So, my first map was just a square, right? And there was this pit in the middle, and no textures on the walls of the pit. It was just an HOM. And I totally put a cyberdemon in the pit.

It was sweet.

That was my latest map.

ahh, i remember the very first time i ever opened up doom builder so very distinctly. the player started in a 64x64x72 box, on the left side (behind the player) there was a silver DOOR texture (the stock one you see on e1m1 start, can't remember the name) and the walls were metal (the hexagon one), and it went into a large, curved hallway that was banana shaped, rising on the y-axis, but the floor height was lowering and the ceiling height raising, floor and ceiling was floor4_8 (thats the black hexagon one, right?) and walls were still hexagon metal textured. there were torches on both sides and in the middle there was every single weapon and a stockpile of ammo. the hallway led to a legion of imps, all aligned in platoons of 50, then past those imps was a giant pentagonal room with a height of 2056, ground was cratop, walls were startan, ceiling was that ashwall looking floor, and there were thousands of monsters and megaspheres and ammo. at the end of the giant room, there was a weird glitch i somehow made where there was a floating box, but you could see over it and there was no HOM, and when you walked under it you teleported to the exit of the level. it was in ultimate doom format. sadly, i do not have the level anymore, and haven't seen it for a long time... built that shit almost 2 years ago, haha.

Both the first and second release of my first map can be downloaded at
http://hosted.filefront.com/FrozenNemesis

The map is the first in a full 27 map megawad for Doom 1 I'm working on. There are only a few minor touch-ups I've done for the 3rd version (unreleased). Offhand, I think there is a misaligned texture, I added exit signs at the end, and I may have accidentally left a 3D Camera start in one of these file that I removed.

If you're really interested, the thread that I originally posted this map to is at http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=43087

My first real map (I made one faux-colliseum in DMapEdit back when I still used a DOS editor, just a bunch of stairs) was a Doom 1 map called Base. It started out nicely with a base my brother made for a neat DM arena (4 walkways in a + shape with a rocket launcher in the center, all surrounded by nukeage and walls with imps), but I ended up screwing it completely over by adding just about 2.5 miles worth of running in circles backtracking.

EDIT: Not to mention all the perfectly hidden required doors (may wanna either look at the map in DB or keep your automap on).

Check it! And dont forget to stretch. :P