Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What is your very first Doom/Doom 2 map/WAD and how good/bad was it?

Mine was featured on DoomCenter a long time ago for a project that showcased mappers' first maps. Architecturally, it was essentially a maze, because I hadn't figured out how to work with sectors and couldn't do anything but put two blocks in the start room. Still, I had a knack for gameplay, and everybody who played it said it was surprisingly fun and that they even played it a few times. That was its only release though, and its availability ended with DoomCenter.

Captain Ventris said:

So, my first map was just a square, right? And there was this pit in the middle, and no textures on the walls of the pit. It was just an HOM. And I totally put a cyberdemon in the pit.

It was sweet.

Heh, that sound like wow.wad

Steeveeo said:

My first real map (I made one faux-colliseum in DMapEdit back when I still used a DOS editor, just a bunch of stairs) was a Doom 1 map called Base. It started out nicely with a base my brother made for a neat DM arena (4 walkways in a + shape with a rocket launcher in the center, all surrounded by nukeage and walls with imps), but I ended up screwing it completely over by adding just about 2.5 miles worth of running in circles backtracking.

EDIT: Not to mention all the perfectly hidden required doors (may wanna either look at the map in DB or keep your automap on).

Check it! And dont forget to stretch. :P

Those round tunnels looks quite nice how did u make those?

My first maps were a bunch of 11 crappy levels in a file named pauldoom.wad made back in 1996 on a 486dx266 using DoomCAD 5.1. Every level was very simple, just rooms connected with doors and lotsa texture misalignments and tutti frutti. I'd give it an 0/5 all day long. The first four of these maps are the secret levels in The New Adventure.

I also made a few levels using the Wolfenstein textures which were never released. There's an 11 map Wolfenstein themed episode that I never got around to releasing and various other piles of ditto.

My first released wad was The Twilight Zone.

I had a thing for fighting cyberdemons so I made a map called theduel which was a crappily detailed square room. It had ammo and an exit switch which made the map rather pointless. Then I added another cyberdemon to keep things more interesting. Crapfest hazzaaar

My first map was actually 3 maps. The first map consisted of a rip off of map01 from Icarus, with nothing but zombies. The second map took place in a shuttle where you were preparing for your next mission. There were about 20 chainguns, 50 clip boxes, 17 stimpacks,8 back packs, and 4 suits of mega armor. The third map was extremely easy. There were a couple revenants, but besides that, nothing but imps and hell knights.
As for how the map looked.. well, imagine what a 1994 map would look like if it was created by a caveman who had never used a computer or even gotten a glimpse of Doom before. Now imagine said caveman came from an inbred family and was dropped on his head about 7 times when he was a baby, and ate nothing but paint chips. Yeah, that's how bad the map looked.

Craigs said:

As for how the map looked.. well, imagine what a 1994 map would look like if it was created by a caveman who had never used a computer or even gotten a glimpse of Doom before. Now imagine said caveman came from an inbred family and was dropped on his head about 7 times when he was a baby, and ate nothing but paint chips. Yeah, that's how bad the map looked.

Torn said:

Heh, that sound like wow.wad

lol.

my first map that ended up being more than just a room was a small marble/gothic temple with no detail but with a decent amount of lighting/shadows. it was also full of traps.
i made it with deu sometime in 1994. took ages since most of the time when i attempted to add sectors inside of sectors for minimal detail/lighting i ended up with HOM and unclosed sectors.
i think i still have it on a floppy somewhere, along with a couple other very early maps.

Creaphis said:

This thread is not the place to look for mapping inspiration.

That depends on your level of expertise. I haven't yet mastered the art of illuso-pit construction. :P

Creaphis said:

This thread is not the place to look for mapping inspiration.

I dunno... listening to some of these ideas makes me feel better about the map I made for BloodSkull's community map pack (which to be honest, wasn't even finished :X)

I just realized I never cited any actual examples.

I did a fair bit of levels that featured the following:

a) Horrid music
b) Somewhat competent, but often lousy level design complete with misaligned textures
c) Horrid sound replacements
d) Bad embossed titlepics for one-level PWADs

One of them was atlantis.wad

The text files make me feel so embarrassed to this day.