Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bullsquid

Textures from different wads in my wad

Is there a way to use textures from lets say final doom to use for a wad of my own for doom2 without you needing to have final doom to see the textures?
Like they be built in the wad or something?

Hope u know what i mean.

(using doom builder)

Doombuilder has a handy little option for what you are trying to do,

(If im even understanding you correctly.)

In map options, there is an option to select a WAD for additional resources. I think that should solve your problem.

PS: You should read the doombuilder .pdf, that should answer all your future questions about general editing.

Yes, but if you want to use TNT's or Plutonia's resources, use them as IWADs instead, as per id Software's request.

There are various free texture packs by people from the community, in any case, which you can use to take additional textures for DOOM II.

Ok but if i do this u are not required to have the wad the textures are from and will work with just regular doom2.wad?

Lets say i want to use textures from plutonia or something and they will show in my wad when only played with doom2.wad so u dont need to have plutonia.wad in order to see them.
Therefore i dont want to use another iwad since not all people will have these wads required.

bullsquid said:

Lets say i want to use textures from plutonia or something and they will show in my wad when only played with doom2.wad so u dont need to have plutonia.wad in order to see them.
Therefore i dont want to use another iwad since not all people will have these wads required.

It's possible, but it isn't legal.

bullsquid said:

What's more important, a few more textures, or respecting what the company that sold you the games requested?

Lots of people have Plutonia anyway. Most people who post here have all the IWADs.

If you want extra textures because you're a bit tired of sticking to DOOM II's standard ones, use something made by the community, like the stuff for the Gothic series, the Darkening II textures, or the new set esselfortium recently made a thread about... to name some examples.

myk said:

the stuff for the Gothic series

Well, to be technical, a lot of those are based on Doom, Quake, Heretic, and Hexen resources. :P

I mean, it doesn't bother me at all to see other games' resources if they're used well, but if you're going to recommend against using resources from other iwads...:P

bullsquid said:

If you feel the need for a few more textures to spice up your wad rip them from one of these packs and remember to give credit where it's due. If you can't live without the Plutonia textures - make it a Plutonia map.

I wad just using plutonia as an expample, i've also seen some nice textures in different megawads like requiem, memento mori and more.

bullsquid said:
i've also seen some nice textures in different megawads like requiem, memento mori and more.

Those two don't give permission to reuse the resources. One place you can look for textures is in the graphics directory at /idgames.

In any case, the most important step in improving your WADs is by improving your skills, above embellishing them with other people's work.

esselfortium said:
Well, to be technical, a lot of those are based on Doom, Quake, Heretic, and Hexen resources. :P

Yes, although it's already there and it has its own artistic merit, so it's a better choice than random rippage, but I agree the stuff you've been doing or the Darkening textures (to mention what I named above) are better choices.

DOOM isn't perfect in this respect, itself. Taking one or two resources from there and there for an intelligent reason and then adding artistic value oneself is one thing, relying heavily on ripped stuff from various sources without putting one's own skill into the graphics and not considering whether the stuff is freely offered is another.

From what I've seen it's often newer authors that tend to go crazy at "pecking for resources". They want everything to be pretty by lack the skill to do it themselves. They'll generally fail anyway due to lack of experience-based tact. When they get better they usually check the stuff they're using more carefully, aesthetically and in regard to permissions granted by the authors, and even start doing their own graphic touch-ups or new resources.

The earlier and faster they learn, the better their add-ons in the long run.

GreyGhost said:

If you feel the need for a few more textures to spice up your wad rip them from one of these packs and remember to give credit where it's due. If you can't live without the Plutonia textures - make it a Plutonia map.

I downloaded some of the packs and tried to use the textures in my wad. Works fine in builder but when i play the level i just get missing texture error everywhere i used new textures.
So how do i build in custom textures in my wad so they show up correctly when i play the map?

The textures from the texture wad you are loading when you edit your map aren't actually added into your map wad when you use them on your map. All Doom Builder does is load the two wads at once. Doom Builder is a map editor, nothing more.

So when you come to run your map in the engine/port of your choice, you have to load both the texture wad and your map wad.

Though you can combine the texture wad into your map wad using a wad editing program such as XWE, Wintex, SlumpED etc. All these programs can add/remove textures to a wad.

Vermil said:

Though you can combine the texture wad into your map wad using a wad editing program such as XWE, Wintex, SlumpED etc. All these programs can add/remove textures to a wad.

Don’t forget DeePsea! Yay!