Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #330

YOU can be a part of the next issue of The /newstuff Chronicles!

• Italian Doom - DeathMatch - Toranaga Ismaele (Alberto Sposito)
    doom2.exe - Deathmatch - 88039 bytes - (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: prdarkfox
    This map is a much larger DM map compared to what I have reviewed before. With wide open spaces and a hell of a lot of room to run around in, this map sets itself up to be good for at least three or more players.

The detail looks great. It certainly looks like a small hangar, with weapons strewn about everywhere. There won't be a shortage of firepower in this one as there's also plenty of ammunition to go around.

Lots of "obvious" sound cues. If you hear the switch, the lift to the BFG has been lowered. This makes it a little difficult to pick up when the door slowly opens and again gives off your intentions. Fast doors reveal one of two plasma rifles.

I'd call this an ideal deathmatch level. Get a couple friends and slug it out here, right now.

• Italian DooM - Lost Levels - Ismaele
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 9256728 bytes
    Reviewed by: Jekyll Grim Payne
    "This .WAD is the resource pack for what should have been 'Italian DooM - Episode 2: The Singularity'." - so the txt says, so it is. The archive includes three levels and various Decorate and visual resources. In order to play the levels you must also add the resource wad to command line, which makes the operation a little tricky, because level wads are inside archives in the archive which AFAIK ZDoom can't find, so you'll need to extract them first.I'll decribe my impressions about all this stuff separately:

Imperious (imper.wad, MAP01): this is the kind of level I love, kind of a hell fortress with good design, high ceilings, prison, and torture chamber of course. The architecture is great and very detailed, the place is made of marble and stones, with a lot of carpets and various decorations. Lighting is neat, there's nice sky and other effects.

Mostly enemies are various kinds of imps and pinkys: you can find most of them on Realm 667, although I haven't seen before that very interesting zombie imp: this guy is tough and behaves like Quake zombies, he can't be killed completely unless he's gibbed. Difficulty is average and there's plenty of ammo, although some moments are pretty tense. This is very good map and you'll certainly like it.

Arachnophobia II (arachno.wad, MAP06): if you like space bases, you'll love it. The level is very big, very detailed, very interesting. And very difficult too, by the way. Despite of the title, most enemies here are zombies: rapid-fire trooper, railgun zombie, rocket launcher zombie and many others. However, the toughest enemies here are various spiders: flying variations of Arachnotron and Spider Mastermind, Cybermastermind and other tough guys are expecting you. The final part of the level is chaotic, so making the monsters infight will be your vital necessity.

I liked the map very much, but it is not something you can bring down in a quick raid.

DooM Castle (dcastle.wad, MAP07): the idea of the level is based around activation of the teleport platform placed in the cetre of the map. The place is very detailed, looks nice, the gameplay is interesting, as well as in other maps, so I certainly advise to try it. As for difficulty, I'd say it's easier than Arachnophobia II, but still it is rather difficult and can't be done quickly.

Resources: if you like new textures in Doomish style, you'll find a lot of interesting stuff in here. As for enemies, there isn't much new, except for the zombie imp I mentioned and a couple of others; the same applies to new weapons (there are three of them: Firebomb Launcher, Insanity Rifle and Railgun, all of them are powerful and are meant to be used in burly fights). Many enemy sprites are just recolored, which doesn't seem sensible as the color translation function is rather effective and could be used in most cases. Some, however, are interesting.

There isn't much to add about this wad, you should look at it yourself. It's worth it, I assure you.

• PYEwad (Skulltag Version) - Team PYE
    Skulltag - Deathmatch - 3967775 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Wills
    A set of DM/CTF/etc. maps by Team PYE, a group of mappers with a strange sense of humor. First note: The text file messes up the /idgames archive's form-filler. The level list isn't in the text file three times, really.

Second note, these maps are all fun and look good. The "serious" maps tend to be more detail-focused and prettier. Good texture usage, etc. The wad includes some bots to play with, so I wasn't left all by my lonely self (and thus could actually see how the maps played as opposed to how they looked).

Some maps are better than others, of course. A few maps skimp on the looks, and one or two are cramped and not too fun to play on. But none of them are bad per se. One thing you can't say about these maps is that they're boring - among standard fare, you have a Mario map, a snowball fight, trench warfare, and a forest made completely out of rubber (very crazy).

Not groundbreaking or spectacular, but not bad at all, and certainly a good way to spend a few minutes. I wouldn't mind seeing this mapset on a few servers.

• BCDM2 - BC PLASMAWANG 2TECS ROCKETDICK KILLAJUNGLEPUMA BFGFIST 99FRAGS SSGHAMMER
    Skulltag - Deathmatch - 2865938 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Jimmy91
    If this is a joke, it's not funny. I have a sense of humor, but this is one joke that I loathe with a red-hot passion only because it's taken WAY WAY too far. Don't be fooled by the ratings on the archives. The BC clan, the bunch of biased, half-witted imbeciles that they are, have submitted this WAD to the archives (and rated it highly) with the goal of spreading this bout of virtual syphilis as far across the Doom community as possible. You can skip the next few paragraphs if you only want to know the bare bones of why this wad is a complete crock of shit.

==TL;DR VERSION STARTS HERE==

Why is it so bad, you ask? If the screenshots don't tell you anything, maybe I should state the reasons why it is an utter failure: first of all, the initial "hype" thread was sugarcoated, showing the "best" (cough cough, hack, wheeeeze) parts of the maps before it was finally unleashed upon the Skulltag community. It was expected as another slightly-above-average set of deathmatch maps but boy were we in for an unpleasant surprise when we downloaded it.

The maps are totally unplayable as deathmatch maps, showcasing HOMs, one color walls and earsplitting music choices - the bastard lovechild of The Sky May Be and wow.wad if anything else. A DEHACKED patch switches the sprites of the weapons around - so you can pick up a rocket launcher that turns into a BFG that turns out to be shotgun - and turns the onscreen message texts into contemptuous atrocities such as "BC fucked yer mom", that a 9-year-old might find funny. Might.

Secondly, as it turns out, the maps in this wad are in fact plagiarized from another mapper's work. Before the BC mongs begin flaming me, claiming he ripped off their work, I ask you how can you make DELIBERATELY BAD maps into GOOD ones? If you look at the original, the maps are the exact same layout, but in BCDM2 there are line errors and mistextures all over the place (plus countless other insulting modifications that I daren't go into detail on). It evidently shows that these maps were bastardized beyond measure to create what is now an utter scourge on the archives. At least when the original author was made aware of it he was honest and stirred up as little shit as possible*, whereas BC were complete douchebags.

*(I'm pretty sure he was at one point driven over the edge, but only because of one of BCDM2's rampant "fans" making outright insults.)

==TL;DR VERSION ENDS==

Again I say without fear of exaggeration that this is worst wad ever. Ever. Henceforth I will nightly pray to whatever God that exists that BCDM2 is given, without question, "Worst Wad of the Year" next December in the Cacowards. I know that it doesn't deserve this attention, in fact, I'm pretty sure that since the WAD is a gigantic ripoff of some other honest mapper's work, it doesn't even deserve a place in the archives. This is in no way intended as an insult to the original author of the maps, but instead as a way that might shut the BC trolls up for good. I say on behalf of the honest mappers of the Doom community, we've had enough of your "BCDM2 RULEZ" and "BCDM2 IS FOR DOOMING PROFESSIONALS ONLY" bullcrap. Don't download this wad - even for laughs - if you value your sanity.

• Diaz: Last Hours of Purity (WW Hits Collection) - wildweasel
    ZDoom Compatible - n/a - 11565019 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Remiel
    Diaz: Last Hours of Purity by Corwin "WildWeasel" Brence is the latest and greatest of the Doom weapon mod hierarchy. Technically it's a two-year-old mod that was picked up and remastered as part of an ongoing "Best Hits" collection, because why make when you can remake?

I don't have much interest in weapon mods. The Stranger was okay, but most were not and the majority of them came off for all the world to me like hit-or-miss experiments, making WildWeasel look a "quantity over quality" kind of guy. Most people will sit down with a normal WAD and shoot imps with a shotgun rather play an intrusive gameplay enhancement for the hour it takes for its initial "NEW GUNS" appeal to wear off.

WildWeasel knows this, it seems, but he's trying to jump up Diaz's longevity as much as possible while keeping it as a weapon mod, rather than trying to make a solid megaWAD out of it, and ends up not dropping the ball in the process, but cratering it. This mod casts the player as either the eponymous secret agent Olivia Diaz or her fellow agent Hernandez. Hernandez differs only in his starting weapon, sprite and voice, making me wonder why the effort was put into making two playable characters in the first place. Mild confusion at best, though, but my mild confusion spiked into a boiling rage a minute after I cheated for all of the weapons and went on a fun run through MAP01 because of one thing: Gameplay!

Diaz is a big mod with a lot of changes. Though, since nothing but initial appeal can extend a weapon mod's lifetime, WildWeasel went for broke in making Diaz the ultra-mod you'll play forever and stuffed so much initial appeal into its jagged-toothed maw that its cheeks burgeon from every angle like they're full of fucking acorns. Fifteen weapons are lodged into your weapon select keys like WildWeasel jammed everything in using a broom with half a damn given as to whether anything breaks, as evidenced by things like the slow, heavy-duty slug rifle and RPK machine gun being on the same number. I thought of all the variety in a mod with 15 weapons released in 2008 where ZDoom can do so much fun stuff, but mostly of the problems with being able to reach a gun I need in a timely manner during an ambush or heated firefight before I have a rocket for a tail like a mechanical dragon. Luckily Corwin Brence is one step ahead of us all and properly addressed both issues: EIGHT GUNS serve no function other than being cookie-cutter hitscanners. They all hit atrociously hard, too.

The theme of the mod is fairly dull; a lot like all of his previous mods. It's weird; at first I expected a mod casting me as a secret agent in the near future to have lots of fantastic high-tech armaments to fight demons with, but secret spy organizations in the near future are really poor. Nearly every gun is from real-life or a fictional version of a real-life gun. The five that aren't just real killtools are the unarmed attack, slug rifle and token trio of futuristic weapons. Nothing that hasn't been seen in one or more prior WeaselMods. The last exempt, the Psionic Amplifier, is cool, but weak and limited by a low (albeit automatically regenerating) energy pool that damages the player considerably for using it while it's underpowered, making it cool but useless. Also, I expected a weapon mod and not The Adventures of "Fifteen Weapons in this Mod and You're Only Going to Like One of Them".

WildWeasel is a big fan of modern FPSes, and this mod is an experiment in weapon mods with realistic features like magazine-based reloading, weapon recoil, a wounded state that prevents running at <15 health and the option to melee with any wielded small gun. Gunwhipping is uselessly weak; an explosive slug-firing rifle half as fucking large as Agent Diaz hits as hard as a revolver, which is "occasionally takes two swings to kill a zombie" points of damage. If the player ever needs to melee he'll just switch to the fists. The weapon recoil and the bullets' coding preventing them from autoaiming means that ZDoom can't play this without mouselook unless the player is ready to bind a Centre View key and wear it out in the next five fights. Since ZDoom's mouselook isn't as clear and free as GZDoom's, especially on low resolutions, his only option is the latter. I hate weapon recoil, too.

The wounded state takes out what it is about Doom that charms me: things like being one pistol pellet or Lost Soul away from eating dirt, no health pickups left, and rushing the next fight like a neon green comet, dodging and killing and hanging on for dear life because I'm a whirlwind of death and destruction that'll cancel faster than Joss Whedon's Firefly with one hit; Diaz is resultantly unfit for manic megaWADs like Alien Vendetta and the Hell Revealed duology. And last but definitely, surely, certainly by God not least, the magazine-based reloading. In Diaz, you find entire magazines rather than small ammo units. The zombiemen, sergeants, chaingunners and a random number of imps and mancubuses are all replaced with zombies that wield one small gun and drop either a magazine or their weapon on death and have a chance of dropping the other. You can hold a ridiculously large number of magazines for any weapon, and because depending on the gun a magazine can be anywhere from 6 to 12 to 40 rounds and you can find one or even more for every zombie or ammo cache you find, you will never ever run out of ammo for any of your small guns. You can just use these guns all the time due to your half-limitless ammo and your larger guns will accumulate ammo due to disuse. Then, if push comes to shove you can just spam those too! You cannot run out of ammunition for anything no matter what you do.

This degree of ammo wonkery stands at the seesaw of balance and imbalance and hits the "imbalance" side with a fucking sledgehammer, and you're lucky WildWeasel replaced Nightmare with a "WEPON MODZ R 4 NOOBS!!1" skill that throws everything to the other extreme: being as easy as NetHack. Everything else is unchanged (yay thoroughness), but all of WildWeasel's custom zombies shoot ridiculously fast (faster than you shoot with the particular weapon), are perfectly accurate (the minishotgunners hit you with what appears to be every pellet at once), and will hit you a split second after they see you. The average playthrough on this skill is as follows "hope you survive until you get the minishotgun -> use the minishotgun so you can poke around corners and clip things to death with the spread which is the only way you're going to survive -> run out of shells and get irreversibly stuck on MAP02 (-> start savescumming) -> delete"

I would go into depth on things like how much of an unfinished job Diaz is for having been remastered over two whole years, as evidenced by stuff like the fact that the starting handguns are fluidly-animated and sound powerful yet the rest of them are single snapshots of weapons offset across the screen with a hand moved around for their animation. Or, that Hernandez's real gib animation that was supposed to be in the re-release isn't in. Or, the presence of that exact same voice set Corwin has been using for the zombie and humanoid enemies in every mod since Cold Hard Cash. Or the fact that the new font the mod uses looks AWFUL. Or that Diaz's player-colourable pants aren't player-colourable and instead of making them that WildWeasel added two different versions of her at the player select, such as one with a jacket and blue pants that weren't edited right and still have green pixels on them at certain angles. But, it's useless. Nothing can top the "gameplay that for all its painstaking creation and remastery efforts and extensive development time single-handedly ruins the entire mod and makes it one of the worst things I've had the good pleasure of playing" bit. Diaz: Last Hours of Purity? Not a winner in my book.

• Hadeharia - Subatomic
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 9884 bytes
    This is author's first release, so we can consider this map to be more of a training than something serious. The map is very plain and symmetric, very few textures and hardly any height variations. The gameplay is plain and straightforward as well, although it is not very easy. There isn't much to say about this map, except for "go on, buddy, yeh gotta work a lot", and we may see something interesting by the author some time later.

• Temple of Takhyshra - Subatomic
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 44440 bytes
    This is the author's second release after "Hadeharia". Except for the author's great love for similar brown stone textures, this map looks much better. There are height variations, stairs and better architecture. However, the gameplay and general layout are pretty plain and boring, but this wad shows the author has some taste and may create something interesting later.

• Marble Halls - Daniel Steinert
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 35071 bytes
    This is one map for doom2.wad. It doesn't seem to be a professional's work, although the layout is interesting: we have height variations, some style and decorations, so it's not some newbie stuff. However, everything looks too plain; textures are well-chosen, but the the level of detail is too low, and there's hardly anything around to draw your attention; generally the level consists of "marble" area, "cave" area, and "blue" area and that's all you can remember after beating it.

The gameplay, however, is pretty good and rather challenging. And I really mean it; the author has got a feel for positioning enemies and items. What I don't like is that it doesn't seem really possible to kill all the monsters with the amount of ammo that can be found here, although most of them can be dodged.

To sum up, I'd say there needs a lot of work on the design, but the author is surely gifted at creating the gameplay. I recommend you to take a look at this map.

• House of Pain - Daniel Steinert
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 48767 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: prdarkfox
    Hello, I reviewed your first submission to /idgames. I must say, I'd like to see how much you've progressed so far.

Again lackluster detail plagues his first efforts, this being his third map submitted to /idgames. However right off the bat I knew I was going to be in for an interesting ride. The first monster you encounter is an Arch-Vile, who ends up teleporting away and made me feel tense for at least two minutes and about ten monsters. That is what you call a great beginning.

Another switch press later and I came across a decent looking (in comparison to the rest of the map, sorry) courtyard. While the monsters had their scuffle the battle was over before it began. It seemed to go downhill from there as it stayed inside, the same wood textures going on and on.

Until I came to the library. It was decently textured, was easy to ambush the player, though there was one "mega-secret" that nicely stopped me from using small arms. It also provided to be a nice warning for the final boss, set up in an elaborate spider's lair.

Ammo was certainly no issue, with or without secrets. I almost ran out of shells a few times but only after I already had the plasma rifle. Difficulty tanked after the second encounter with the first Arch-Vile, but it's still not a bad ride.

Again, crappy detail, and again, actually a lot of fun. Daniel, if you fix the FLAT alignment issues (see screencap 2) -- namely in the teleporters and lights -- make the rooms more interesting with a few more minor sectors, and your levels will be set to go. Support beams, monitors, torches in the walls, anything like those will make your levels that much more interesting to play.

• Gaybo - RottKing
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 1679778 bytes - (img)
    Quite honestly I had low hopes for this as soon as I saw "your mom" was listed under bugs, and I was proved right, unfortunately. All the standard Doom sounds have been replaced by some guy making noises into a microphone, and most of the pickups are badly-drawn MSPaint replacements. The one new map (Map31, BTW) is a dark maze with "gorillas" wandering about. The music, while far from good, is the best part about this wad. A definite pass.

• Hell-O - Jekyll Grim Payne aka zer0
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 2553 bytes
    A single DECORATE monster. It's a recolored Shotgun Sergeant that shoots railguns and Revenant missiles in cross-shaped patterns. Occasionally it splits up into several duplicates to try and confuse you. It takes quite a few rockets to bring this guy down. Not useful (too powerful); more of an experiment than anything.

• Map set #1 - Daniel Steinert
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 100794 bytes - (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: JohnnyRancid
    A set of three average maps by a new mapper. Text file says these are Dan's experiments with Doom Builder. This is already apparent because he seemed to have left the 3D mode object in all three maps. The maps alone aren't bad. They've got some length to them. Attempts at detailing shows that this author has actually played a fair set of PWADs before. The monster to ammo to health ratio is fairly balanced. I found it to be a little tight on health sometimes and died several times, often because of carelessness and impatience. The number of monsters isn't extreme, and it certainly isn't lacking.

I found some areas to be too dark, but it's probably due to me preferring to play Doom at the lowest possible gamma correction level. This mapper does a pretty decent job. I enjoyed the maps and commend this mapper as a great beginner, and encourage him to continue mapping in the future.

I dunno I find playing coop on nightmare with gaybo.wad is pretty hilarious. For a better description of it I basically took sound clips and graphics from stuff I made when I was around 9 or 10 and stuck'em in there. Why upload it? Because it's gaybo, man. YEAH!!

Diaz needs a re-review. In fact, Remiel should be banned from reviewing altogher, considering he only picks and tears apart wads he has a personal vendetta against.

Case in point: If you don't care much for "NEW GUNS" then don't review a weapon mod. The end.

Xaser said:

Diaz needs a re-review. In fact, Remiel should be banned from reviewing altogher, considering he only picks and tears apart wads he has a personal vendetta against.

He liked my mod and has given good reviews to some other stuff, so you're wrong. Forever.

Before the review commented on any further, I would like to point out that Remiel's review of Diaz can currently only be viewed in complete form in the version accessible from Doomworld's main page. In the version seen in this thread, a significant portion of the review is missing (between "running at" and "use the minishotgun,") most likely because whatever converted this edition into a thread post mistook Remiel's use of a less-than sign ("<15") for the start of an HTML tag (and a right-arrow as the end of it.) Just wanted to get that info out before it's too late.

EDIT (7:52 PM PST): This has now been fixed.

Trasher][ said:
He liked my mod and has given good reviews to some other stuff, so you're wrong. Forever.

Seems you're taking "picks and tears apart" out of context a bit. ;P

Granted, he has done a few positive reviews, but his entire review style (funny as it is) reeks with bias. Not like that's unavoidable but his reviews only work when taken in a satirical fashion. And since /newstuff chronicles is supposed to consist of serious, actual reviewing. Not intentional slamming.

Case in point: Rem's ZPack review. There's nothing wrong with not liking the wad, but it's clear he picked it just to make fun of it (given his attitude toward the project early on (BlackRabite = Remiel) -- yes I know they're not talking about the wad itself, but his sarcasm bleeds easily). He even mentions how he didn't even finish the wad -- a clear sign as well that he wasn't even trying in the first place. The Diaz review is the same -- it was played with the intention to find every single possible problem with it and tear it apart. Again, amusing on its own, but unfitting for /idgames.

My ban statement was too strong, as always (chalk up one idiot point for the guy with the shades), but a review like this shouldn't have made it into t/nc in the first place. To be fair, Jimmy's review of BCDM2 was also too far on the harsh side for something that's obviously supposed to be a joke. But whatever. Point is, uneducated newcomers who read this one-sided review will take it seriously and not even try the wad. Instant t/nc failure.

I actually would like to see Remiel get his own reviewing website. His style seems to appeal to a lot of people (not so much myself, obviously), so he might as well put his talents to use. Just not here.

EDIT -- how the deuce did I get Wills and Jimmy mixed up? Fixed.

I like Remiel's reviews. They're fun to read, and they're about as polarizing as some of the ones deathz0r used to do. And saying that you couldn't bring yourself to play through the whole thing because of how bad the beginning of it was is a review in and of itself.

Also, Jimmy, I can't understand how you could actually be surprised that a jokewad could have promotional screenshots that are not serious in nature.

Remiels review did seem a little biased to me.

Did Remiel make his review of Diaz long enough? Seems like it could use a couple more paragraphs to me.

Remiel said: You cannot run out of ammunition for anything no matter what you do

What if you killed every enemy in the level, and wasted every single piece of ammo on the map by firing at absolutely nothing nonstop?

I'm gonna be honest though. His review did seem like a simple long rant rather then an actual review.

I'm actually rather torn at the moment; Remiel has made some very valid criticisms of the mod (the redundant hitscans have been brought up in the past), but other parts are real head-scratchers (why isn't Remiel playing with mouselook when this is clearly not intended to play like original Doom?) and still others make me wonder if he really is biased ("Also, I expected a weapon mod and not The Adventures of "Fifteen Weapons in this Mod and You're Only Going to Like One of Them"." - but it's clear that you don't like weapon mods either, so what's the difference?).

So yes, I would appreciate a re-review, but I'm not going to whinge on about it. I just feel that it's always good to hear other people's perspective on things.

zap610 said:

Why would anybody think BCDM2 is a joke?

It's no joke - the BC team are a seriously talentless pack of map thieves.

Why trying to destroy Diaz? Yes, Rem pointed out some real problems, and there are a coulpe of things in the mod I think could be done better, but what the hell? Some moments sound just stupid. Psi Amp is useless? Why on earth? I can beat most maps using only this, it is one of the most effective weapons. Old WW's resources? What's wrong about using the resources you created and used before? You don't like runhealth 15? It's YOU who doesn't, and I thing it's pretty in place considering the whole realistic theme of the mod. You cannot run out of ammo? That's nonsense, no comments. Gunwhipping is weak? Hail to the WW for including auto-reload option! Enemies shoot faster then you do on Nightmare? So what? They do the same on Nightmare in original Doom. You think Hernandez shouldn't be here? Why? Does really every feature included have to have some practical use? Etc, etc, etc...

I see no objectivity in the review! Personal opinion sticks out everywhere, that's unacceptable for a reviewer. It is all "winners and not winners in my book" stuff.

Personally, this is one of the worst reviews I've seen. No, it is okay and funny to read, but it is not a "review". It is "I fucking don't like mods which change my prescious Doom too much and let me describe how much I fucking don't like it". Lame.

P.S. and my God, my Hell-o monster shoots with IMP balls, and why isn't is mentioned that his doubles are fake and that he may split only when hit? And it's not too powerful, it is possible to kill it. I think I did. But yes, it was just "I had nothing to do"-experiment.

GreyGhost said:

It's no joke - the BC team are a seriously talentless pack of map thieves.

You're joking right? This has to be a joke. That first screenshot has ms paint textures with butt written all over them.

If this WAD is a joke - the makers failed big time.
If this is not a joke - they belong in a nuthouse.

This is easily the most retarded thing I have seen since sadhusct.wad - and that thing still has a very special place on my shitlist of Doom projects.

Either way, easily my pick for a 'Worst WAD of the year' Cacoward. Things really can't get much worse.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

I see no objectivity in the review! Personal opinion sticks out everywhere, that's unacceptable for a reviewer. It is all "winners and not winners in my book" stuff.

Personally, this is one of the worst reviews I've seen. No, it is okay and funny to read, but it is not a "review". It is "I fucking don't like mods which change my prescious Doom too much and let me describe how much I fucking don't like it". Lame.

Welcome to The /newstuff Chronicles; enjoy your stay!

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

You might be shocked at this statement I'm about to say, but it's the godawful truth:

Reviews are subjective, not objective

And on an unrelated note:

BCDM2 rules

Thank you for your time.

I know my review was too long. Graf's "condensed" version would have made a much better one for such a wad. :P Just trying to make a point.

I thought BC was pretty cool, nothing particularly special, although certainly not for everyone. It's obviously a joke, so I doubt it'll get Worst Wad of the Year.

Craigs said:

You're joking right? This has to be a joke. That first screenshot has ms paint textures with butt written all over them.

Ownership of the maps has been disputed in the Skulltag forums. If you'd like to see a set of unvandalised maps - check out this thread.

As 'Worst WAD' nominees go I still can't see it beating UAC Military Nightmare

deathz0r said:

Reviews are subjective, not objective

I miss without deathz0r's reviews. Currently the majority of reviews are boring and tedious, because often they just state the facts: this is a level/mod, the theme is _, the detail is _, textures are _, etc. Remiel has excited this thread and it became a little interesting, because people have started to state the opinions more actively. (to prove The Real Truth)

I don't mind about mentioning personal opinion. No, it's OK, it is even necessary for a review. But it must be stated as a personal opinion, not as the ultimate truth. The goal of the review, generally, is to describe the contents of the file and to inform the readers about what they MAY like or dislike. Besides, the reviewer always must try to be objective. Interesting, new and well-executed - objectively good, full of bugs, stupid and banal - objectively bad. And as for this Diaz review, you know... Well, I've said already. Many points which Remiel states as truth (useless Psi Amp, impossibility of running out of ammo, etc.) seem to me to be just the opposite of truth. This is not objective, you know.
Or maybe I know that I'd critisize absolutely other things. For example emtpy casings smoke sucks, some old weapon graphics looks not cool in contrast to some of the new guns, there's no decent BFG replacement and it'd be better to leave SPAS instead of that stupid shotty. I'd try to give the author some piece of advice rather than trying to convince him that his efforts were in vain.
Yeah, it is an exciting review, but to me it seems not a right review. IMNSHO.

caco_killer said:

I think you guys are just reading into Remiel's review a bit too much.

Yeah, I even think the review is a bit too long, but as long as someone is willed to do such a review, why not? Reviews are subjective here on Doomworld, this we know since Deathz0r, :-P. As long as there are wads, there should be someone who reviews it, no matter how. I like Diaz and I think it is the best weapons mod.

Hooray, people whining about reviews again. This never gets old.

Complain less and review more if you think you can do a better job. Instead of moaning that someone who doesn't like weapons mods decided to review one and was a bit harsh, tell the fans of weapon mods to claim the next one that comes along. But then I suppose someone's bound to start bitching that their opinion is too biased in favour of the WAD in question. Is there no pleasing you people?

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

I don't mind about mentioning personal opinion. No, it's OK, it is even necessary for a review. But it must be stated as a personal opinion, not as the ultimate truth. The goal of the review, generally, is to describe the contents of the file and to inform the readers about what they MAY like or dislike. Besides, the reviewer always must try to be objective. Interesting, new and well-executed - objectively good, full of bugs, stupid and banal - objectively bad. And as for this Diaz review, you know... Well, I've said already. Many points which Remiel states as truth (useless Psi Amp, impossibility of running out of ammo, etc.) seem to me to be just the opposite of truth. This is not objective, you know.
Or maybe I know that I'd critisize absolutely other things. For example emtpy casings smoke sucks, some old weapon graphics looks not cool in contrast to some of the new guns, there's no decent BFG replacement and it'd be better to leave SPAS instead of that stupid shotty. I'd try to give the author some piece of advice rather than trying to convince him that his efforts were in vain.
Yeah, it is an exciting review, but to me it seems not a right review. IMNSHO.

Generally when writing a review of something, whether it's a Doom level or something else, the reviewer doesn't need to say "I think" or "My opinion is" at the beginning of each sentence that every reader might not completely agree with. That it's their opinion is assumed, because it's that person's review.

And I agree with entryway. A review telling me nothing more than the hard facts generally doesn't make me particularly care one way or the other about a release.

Well, IMHO, review is something that actually describes the stuff. So it mostly should be facts. It firstly should be facts, and then the opinion on them. Besides, this review seems somehow mean, you know. I'd be deeply affected by such kind of review on my work (or maybe I wouldn't as I don't often care what others think). I mean that Diaz is a serious and well-done stuff and it deserves a lot of good words. More than bad ones.

Besides, a review is not an entry in one's personal diary. It is something that others read. It should give some information, apart from pure impression, which may differ greatly from person to person, shouldn't it? This review doesn't seem to be something like this. It actually describes only small separate elements. Well, perhaps it's because everyone should already know what Diaz is...

Well, whatever, that's what I think and I wouldn't like to argue about it or it'll never end. I like the mod.