Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
herooftime1000

Left 4 dead

Anyone have this game? It's a breath of fresh air compared to the games we get today. My Steam name is (surprise, suprise..)Herooftime1000. If you get the chance, contact me if you want to play.

Seriously, though. I love this game. I love the entire concept that you are in a horror B-movie. I also love the cast of the game, as well. Like Team Fortress 2, they have a lot of personality. Valve is very good at making their characters appealing. I like Bill the most; who doesn't like a crotchety old war veteran?

Anyway, If you haven't bought it yet, please do. If you pass it up entirely then you are either a pussy when it comes to horror games or a moron.

I wasn't very impressed by the demo, but I will probably buy it once it drops in price. I just didn't feel there was enough content for $60. Valve will most likely release more content for it, though.

Not enough content? It's got like 5 episodes. Besides, it's only $50. That's a whole $10 less! :P

Replay value, my dear watson. Replay value.

I was very impressed by the demo, and will eventually buy it when it drops in price, mostly because I have enough games already (I haven't stopped playing Fallout 3). It reminds me of the series of maps for Garry's Mod (HL2)- Zombie Survival, where you had the players against a horde of AI-controlled zombies and one player zombie and every living human player that died respawned as a zombie.

I will most likely get it when it drops in price. Looks real good.

On a somewhat related note: What I am realy waiting for from Valve is Half-life 2 Ep 3! Ep 1 and 2 kicked ass IMO. But enough off topic ramblings from me.

The two kids that sit next to me in computer class haven't talked about anything for the past two weeks except this game.

Played the first two episodes on coop over LAN. Good fun, nice and chaotic. It just has a certain charm to it that I can't quite put my finger on. In a way I guess it has a sort of Doom-ish feel to it because of the game's frantic pace. The Auto-Shotgun = win.

As for annoyances, we arrived at a saferoom and tried taking a short break from the game to eat and check on random internet stuff, only to come back to a message that tells us we've been kicked from the game for being idle and we had to start again. What the shit is that about? It's our server, why is the game telling us when we should be kicked? Also, if one player goes idle, the AI takes over and uses up a medkit when you don't want them to. Not what I'd call a useful feature.

Oh, and Zoey managed to wake up 3 witches in a single episode. Stupid bint.

I played the game for maybe half a minute. I just ran around nailing zombies in the face with the butt of my gun. Probably not long enough for me to get a real grip on whether or not I like the game, but it was fun for those 30 seconds.

there are too many games i want to buy that i haven't yet bought but have played enough of to know i want to own:

COD4
Deadspace
Fallout3
L4D
Assassin's Creed
Half-life 2/portal/episodes/tf2 (yes, i still have not played much of any of these)
and even Mirror's Edge (played one chase scene and damn it was fun)

good thing christmas is coming up (as well as my birthday.) that will help me justify to myself spending so much money on games.

Well I think one of the main hooks of the game is the dynamic adjustment that the "AI director" features. The fact that it changes ammo displacements, enemy encounters, etc. according to how well the group is doing, kinda puts players on edge since it doesn't become the same predictable encounter everytime (not randomly though).

I think it was a bit dumb to drop the demo when it hit retail though (wasn't it supposed to limit to single-player mode only?). When I tried to load up the demo, it asked me to buy the game. Nevertheless, the adjustment system is something that players have to experience after a few playthroughs, otherwise it gives the impression that its the same old boring FPS that we've seen before.

The zombies can surround you in seconds if your not careful its nuts. From what I've played though the single player is decent, not spectacular. Online may be a different story.

caco_killer said:

You don't want Assassin's Creed. It's a terrible game.

It's not terrible so much as it is very, very monotonous. Which is pretty much the same thing, actually. :/

Hate to say it but horrific slaughterfests have been done and that there is nothing truly outstanding about this game aside from people thinking everything valve makes is always good.

JohnnyRancid said:

there is nothing truly outstanding about this game aside from people thinking everything valve makes is always good.

There is one thing. Running to the chopper/boat/whatever at the end of a finale, it's not uncommon for players to leave their team behind, sometimes shooting them in the back, so that the incoming horde will focus on the downed player and they can escape. Showing one's true colours when in a pinch like that is something unlike any co-op I've played.

Oh yeah because you cant shoot your allies in Doom. I forgot.

JohnnyRancid said:

there is nothing truly outstanding about this game aside from people thinking everything valve makes is always good.

Generalising slightly there. I thought Half Life was overrated and 2 was just gimmicky crap. Never got into Counterstrike, other than the odd LAN game. I can't think of any other Valve games I've bothered to play, mostly because Steam is still an annoying deterrant. I still think Left 4 Dead is good, though.

I've played only about 30 minutes of L4D and I just about shit my pants. I really wanted to play co-op with my wife, but it won't allow you to use the same Steam account to play a LAN game on two separate computers. We didn't feel it was worth another $50 to play co-op, so we just sit in the same room and play single player (I'm in offline mode) together.

JohnnyRancid said:

Oh yeah because you cant shoot your allies in Doom. I forgot.

That doesn't benefit you in any way; that's just teamkilling.

Regardless, what I originally was going to say is any FPS that copies Doom's formula in any way is automatic win.

DooMAD said:

Generalising slightly there. I thought Half Life was overrated and 2 was just gimmicky crap. Never got into Counterstrike, other than the odd LAN game. I can't think of any other Valve games I've bothered to play, mostly because Steam is still an annoying deterrant. I still think Left 4 Dead is good, though.

Play Portal if you never have. Might seem overrated at this point, but it is actually fucking amazing. Good if you need a few laughs, anyway.

I purchased L4D last night along with the X-Fi titanium sound card, but with my luck my computer got fucked over when I installed the drivers for the card. so now all I can do is use my sisters crappy computer to post on message boards.

I'm liking it so far. You really need to stick together too. My brother found that out the hard way when he wandered too far ahead and got raped by a hunter. I've had some pretty memorable moments so far. Me and my Dad were playing together and we managed to get to the safe room with about 12 health left AND on our last revive. :P