Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trasher][

Doom in Flash

Recommended Posts

Doom has been ported to just about everything in the past, ranging from phones to cameras to your toaster. Now, it's been ported to Flash by a Newgrounds staffer called Mike, using an research project by Adobe called Alchemy. It's definitely more of a proof of concept than something truly playable, but it's certainly interesting. If you have Flash Player 10, you can click here to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

Isn't Quake Live gonna be in flash too?

That or Java. All I know is John Carmack is working some kind of voodoo to get Quake 3 running in a browser.

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty neat. I was once interested in starting a Java port of Doom, by trying to follow the original source code as close as possible, including flat memory emulation. Previous attempts based on a complete rewrite/reintepretation didn't flourish, and AFAIK there's no complete pure Java version of Doom out there, for desktops or mobile platforms.

Initially I thought that the author of this version used Flex + Java (which means that he managed to solve the same problems I encountered), but then I saw that Alchemy allows for bridging C/C++ "directly" to Flash. Still impressive though.

However....no, I'm not looking forward for the day where we will load our word processors only from the web using a managed OS...just thinking of the computing power overhead makes me shudder :(

Share this post


Link to post

This's amazing. Thre's a delay between keys pressed and action on-screen as well as a sound delay for me on my computer but what an achievement!

Share this post


Link to post
Snarboo said:

That or Java. All I know is John Carmack is working some kind of voodoo to get Quake 3 running in a browser.

I don't think that's right, I think it's just a custom browser plug-in that uses native code.

Share this post


Link to post

There was a flash doom many many years ago, 2001 i think. There was even talk of using it to make "deathmatch chatrooms" and of playing custom wads you could upload to your site with it on (allowing you to construct a website in doom!). I seem to be rememebr some nifty dynamic lighting too... i never trusted my connection enough to actually try and play it

Share this post


Link to post

@deathbringer:
URL?

@Doom in Flash...
I dont know if i should be happy or scared, at least Adobe is *kind* enough to provide Flash 10 in a deb packet and the flash has no kind of protection from letting it run from my harddisk.

But if that is the future of gaming i am out and go back to my old DOS box or my trusty breadbin.

Share this post


Link to post
deathbringer said:

There was a flash doom many many years ago, 2001 i think. There was even talk of using it to make "deathmatch chatrooms" and of playing custom wads you could upload to your site with it on (allowing you to construct a website in doom!). I seem to be rememebr some nifty dynamic lighting too... i never trusted my connection enough to actually try and play it


That was probably Java, or the original Shockwave. Flash couldn't even do this in 2001.

Share this post


Link to post
Csonicgo said:

That was probably Java, or the original Shockwave. Flash couldn't even do this in 2001.


Up to this day, there's no known functional and complete Java version. Also, no successful implementation has ever been done in a language without the same functionaliy as C/C++ (e.g. there's a Delphi version but no a Visual Basic version), or at least on a platform that's able to use C/C++ code, even if indirectly.

If there ever was a source-complete "browser Doom" in 2001 (not a recreation), I can only imagine it being a directX plugin of sorts or a proprietary content embedding system.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh yeah i think it was Shockwave (though i thought that 'was' flash?)

Either way the link is most likely dead, but i do remember a big thread about it, and if i'm right it was after DW switched over to the new forums (though the old ones are still around too aren't they?).

Also it was most probably a recreation (though apparently a very accurate one, not a generic "Windows maze screensaver with doom sprites" one) as i seem to remember only E1M1 was working in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Up to this day, there's no known functional and complete Java version. Also, no successful implementation has ever been done in a language without the same functionaliy as C/C++ (e.g. there's a Delphi version but no a Visual Basic version), or at least on a platform that's able to use C/C++ code, even if indirectly.

Just wait until I construct an entirely analog circuit of the doom engine. It shouldn't be that much more complicated than pong, right? :P

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

Isn't Quake Live gonna be in flash too?

Quake Live uses it's own plugin, and with that it seems to run in OpenGL. Runs quite smoothly I might add.

Share this post


Link to post
exp(x) said:

Just wait until I construct an entirely analog circuit of the doom engine. It shouldn't be that much more complicated than pong, right? :P


Perhaps a bit more complicated that this...and more to the likeness of this.

DOOM-on-a-chip?

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, yeah, we had to create Pong as the final group project for my ten-week Intro to Logic Design class. Somehow I think Doom would be a bit more involved:)

With GPUs becoming more and more general purpose you might be able to port Doom to run directly on a graphics card. That would be, uh, interesting I guess.

Share this post


Link to post

Here's what appears to be the Shockwave original:

"Doom Reloaded" by necromanthus.

However, it "cheats" by being a recreation and using a modern, even if limited, 3D engine and hardware acceleration, and it's based on a modified/recreated MAP01 instead of E1M1.

I'm still waiting for /working on a Java version...

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, the "reloaded" series...essentially this guy seems to have thrown together a limited Shockwave-based 3D engine and ripped various other games' resources to try and make "remakes" of them. It's alright from a technical standpoint, but the product of his work is a little underwhelming.

Share this post


Link to post
Bastet Furry said:

Umm, i heard that nVidia is thinking about putting a whole x86 core inside their GPUs.

Really? Interesting. . .

Share this post


Link to post

I think he might be confused. Intel is planning on releasing a graphics chip called Larrabee that uses x86 cores. What either has to do with Doom in Flash, I have absolutely no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Bloodshedder said:

I think he might be confused. Intel is planning on releasing a graphics chip called Larrabee that uses x86 cores. What either has to do with Doom in Flash, I have absolutely no idea.

There's also WARP from Microsoft, which is a Direct X 10 software render. (ie DirectX 10 for a CPU)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285359.aspx

The Crysis charts are particularly amusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Nuxius said:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285359.aspx

The Crysis charts are particularly amusing.


Well, as expected, it runs like crap, and surprisingly worse than even an integrated graphics card (which also runs, at best, on a custom software renderer).

The only advantage of the scheme is that it should provide pixel-accurate rendering on nearly everything, and relieve the developers of the task of writing their own software renderers.

However, I would loathe to see a Doom source port using WARP, unless the performance scales up reasonably when not trying to play something like Crysis (although I don't think it will ever be comparable to a custom, optimized software renderer). And, of course, it means nothing for OpenGL software...the only titles that would likely benefit from it are those crappy 3D engines like Pie In The Sky and FPS maker, which are unlikely to get any worse.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×