Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Coopersville

Doom's on Flash now

This is pretty sweet, I gotta say. The movement can be a bit buggy, and music obviously would be nice, but this is about as good as flash conversions get.

Yeah, it even plays the fraggin demos back properly. You know it's gotta be a good port codewise, I just wonder how you can play the game without preloading anything.

It's really cool in that utterly pointless, doing it just to show it can be done kind of way.

CodeImp said:

Is this legal? It contains all resources and I don't see a source-code download.

The resources are the shareware episode which is freely available anyways. It's not like he altered those or used it for a different purpose.

About the source code, I also think that he has to provide it under the terms of GPL.

If he rewrote the game from scratch I'm pretty sure he can do what he likes with his source.

Even if it is modified Doom source the GPL doesn't cover running software on remote servers (hence the Affero GPL)

I don't know though, does a flash widget count as remote or local?

edit: thinking about it of course flash runs locally, it's no different from any other interpreter, never mind

RjY said:

If he rewrote the game from scratch I'm pretty sure he can do what he likes with his source.

I doubt that he would ever get the demos working if that would be the case. And certainly that won't be the first thing to do either, as you don't have a command line to make use of it anyways (besides those in the IWAD).

It is very unlikely that he rewrote all the code. And this Adobe Alchemy software is a C compiler which makes a flash program from C code, so it's obvious he just took the source and ran it through this compiler. But yea, maybe it is the old sourcecode that is not under GPL license, no problem then :)