Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Necros20

Hexen and Heretic monsters

I've been wondering, does anyone here have any idea as to how the sprites for the Hexen and Heretic monsters were created. I know the sprites were created for some of the Doom by digitization from clay or metal and latex sculptures. But I don't think this was the case for these two games.

I vaguely remember seeing an Ettin sculpture somewhere...or maybe a serpent too. Hexen's sprites seem more realistic to me, whereas Heretic looks somewhat cartoony and I doubt it was modeled.

I don't know anything about Hexen's production but I wouldn't be suprised if the weapons and some of the more detailed sprites were scanned from artist's 'concept' art, it has that comic book look to it.

I can't remember where I saw it, probably because I didn't. It would have been either in the game manual or some website, but a quick search reveals there probably wasn't any such image. It seems reasonable that they were scanned or drawn.

Nothing looks clay to me in those games. Rendered monsters are CG with pixel pushed feature details (like eyes, teeth and horns).

leileilol said:

Nothing looks clay to me in those games. Rendered monsters are CG with pixel pushed feature details (like eyes, teeth and horns).

Exactly like this. 3D model converted to sprites and added datails. Some sprites even doesnt have these details added - like some Sabreclaw sprites.