Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Simple DM maps vs Complex ones?

What do you prefer? Simple DM maps that have a simple layout or more complex and interesting layouts?

I made a DM map yesterday that I liked but my friends thought it was confusing. If you could download it and play it and tell me if you think the layout is too confusing or complex and thus detracts from gameplay I'd appreciate it!

Wall-E deathmatch Map01 for Doom 2.

i dont know, i think that layout is pretty simple. it is a really damn good layout i think.

anyways, i like both, they both have their time and place, but as for me, i like larger layouts with more people.

Thanks Butts. I actually thought it was pretty simple, too. Nice to get some other feedback since I play with the same people all the time. I might suggest that layout for GW2 as it is probably better than some other ones up for detailing.

The layout can be as big as you want, as long as it's unified. I don't enjoy hunting down disjointed hallways. Each room should flow uninterrupted into all surrounding rooms. If the map does happen to be large, it should be open and relatively free of jutting architecture to allow free movement.

Your level is a bit confusing, because of the height variation, but the layout is simple nonetheless (there is not much detail). Try to make the level more lucid and add more detail to your level and everything will be fine.

I like simple, but good looking, maps, that have enough detail like “Brit11.wad“, but I also like complex maps that are good to look at like Plexydome. What I hate are oldschool DM wads :-P !

It all depends, if I'm in the mood for a duel I go with simple dm maps, but if I'm looking for team games (specially tlms) complex maps are a blast. In resume, both are good for their own purpose, still small simple maps may work good for team games too.

I agree that the map needs some more detail, and the shotgun seems out of place on that small room, I'd put something more powerful there, or may be some health item (berserk), or armor. The shotgun on a small map like this is useless against ssg or rocket launcher.

Even in 1v1 I can appreciate large complicated maps. The really important factor is flow. The only reason I can enjoy deathmatching in one big, plain sector is because you're not going to be tripping over support beams or anything.