Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the_filthy_beast

Original Doom Music

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know where I can download the ORIGINAL Doom and Doom 2 music? I mean the very original music, like the music in the shareware version of Doom. I have Doom Collector's Edition and I hate the remixed and enhanced crap. I think the original music especially in Doom 2 sounds much better and creepier. That's just my personal preference.

Share this post


Link to post
the_filthy_beast said:

Does anyone know where I can download the ORIGINAL Doom and Doom 2 music? I mean the very original music, like the music in the shareware version of Doom. I have Doom Collector's Edition and I hate the remixed and enhanced crap. I think the original music especially in Doom 2 sounds much better and creepier. That's just my personal preference.

Doom Collector's Edition didn't touch the music. It's exactly as in the original version of the game. What's changed, though, is your sound hardware.

Share this post


Link to post

Exactly what Weasel said.
If you want to test it, try out Doom.exe in dosbox and then mess with the different sound configs. You will get different sound quality for each supported config.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm pretty sure if you type Doom Midis into Google you can find a slew of websites where you can get them.

Share this post


Link to post

Everything you need to know has been said: the Doom music will all sound different with a different sound card. When I play Doom on my old Win95 laptop it sounds different. You can't find specific midis that sound exactly that way, but DosBox might be able to emulate the sort of sound quality you want.

I feel like I should try and salvage this thread, but I can't.

Share this post


Link to post

Michael Massay rendered the doom music on the original Roland SCC1 sound card that Bobby composed them on, which is pretty much as authentic as you can get.

You shouldn't need to ask this however since Doomworld already has a page about it:

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/music.php

I don't mean to sound crass, but it's not that hard to type "doom music" into google, let alone poke around the site you're already on...

Share this post


Link to post
magicsofa said:

Michael Massay rendered the doom music on the original Roland SCC1 sound card that Bobby composed them on, which is pretty much as authentic as you can get.

Heavily clipped, mono, and the dated MP2 codec used, plus the SCC1 has far more background noise then the standalone Soundcanvas.
Here is the thread about the true to the original high quality recordings: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=713018#post713018
There, they are mastered for CD quality in FLAC format.

Share this post


Link to post

The real problem is that Windows plays midi with its own Syntesizer. To make them sound exactly like the old Doom, you have to use another synthesizer. For example, ZDoom has an OPL Synth Emulation, that make the midi sound exactly like the old Doom.

Share this post


Link to post

No, it doesn't. There is no 'sounds like the old Doom' because even back then it sounded different depending on the hardware being used. If you had a Gravis Ultrasound you'd have gotten something vastly different, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

No, it doesn't. There is no 'sounds like the old Doom' because even back then it sounded different depending on the hardware being used. If you had a Gravis Ultrasound you'd have gotten something vastly different, for example.


Right. Windows has a MIDI synthesizer and it does its job well, but not perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

Fixed. :D

In comparison to decent midi hardware, yes. But compared to those widespread soundcards back then, it isn't that bad. Gaming PC's with GUS or even Soundcanvas would be rare exceptions, I think.
I had a GUS back then, but I didn't know anyone else personally or even someone with a Soundcanvas or MT-32 in the 90's. Most people were perfectly happy with some Soundblaster or even an imperfect clone of it.

Share this post


Link to post

If you want it to sound like it did back in 1993 with DOS, your best bet is to use DOSBox. If that's not accurate enough, get an old PC, put an ISA sound blaster card in there, install DOS and try that :-)

Share this post


Link to post
LogicDeLuxe said:

Most people were perfectly happy with some Soundblaster or even an imperfect clone of it.


Considering that sound cards back then wasn't something you could expect a PC to have, it's pretty obvious why. I had a Vibra16 back then. (SB16 clone) that I saved and saved to be able to buy for our family computer. And I was stoked, for a lack of better word. When I had installed it and finally got to play Doom the way it was meant to be played, with sounds. Just like on the computers in school. Ahh, the memories.

Actually. Even these days, it's way more common than not, that people are running their computer with some shoddy onboard sound chip.

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

that people are running their computer with some shoddy onboard sound chip.



So? I do, too. I really have no need for the added features of a 'real' sound card. Since today 99% of all sound output is digital waveform where's the need to invest money here?

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

So? I do, too. I really have no need for the superior sound quality and added features of a real sound card.

Fixed.

Graf Zahl said:

Since today 99% of all sound output is digital waveform where's the need to invest money here?

A lot of need for anyone who cares about sound quality. :p

I mean hey, if your happy with your onboard sound and your $50 Logitech speakers, then more power to you. Just keep in mind you're happy in the same way some people who use integrated graphics (because they don't play games or only play older games) are happy. There's nothing wrong with that, but pretending better quality doesn't exist is only fooling yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Nuxius said:

Fixed.


A lot of need for anyone who cares about sound quality. :p

I mean hey, if your happy with your onboard sound and your $50 Logitech speakers, then more power to you.



What $50 speakers? I got my computer hooked up to my stereo. Admittedly, I don't have the most expensive speakers out there but the ones I own cost €180 a piece 10 years ago (and yes, they still work fine.)

Sorry, but if the sound quality I get out of my computer is virtually indistinguishable from the digital output of my CD player I really see no reason to spend money here.

Share this post


Link to post
LogicDeLuxe said:

Heavily clipped, mono, and the dated MP2 codec used, plus the SCC1 has far more background noise then the standalone Soundcanvas.
Here is the thread about the true to the original high quality recordings: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=713018#post713018
There, they are mastered for CD quality in FLAC format.


The links in that thread don't work anymore...its too bad the ones hosted on doomworld weren't updated?

Share this post


Link to post

I have released those recordings as a add-on for doomsday and any other port that supports doomsdays pk3 file structure. 256kbps ogg/vorbis format

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

What $50 speakers? I got my computer hooked up to my stereo. Admittedly, I don't have the most expensive speakers out there but the ones I own cost €180 a piece 10 years ago (and yes, they still work fine.)

Sorry, but if the sound quality I get out of my computer is virtually indistinguishable from the digital output of my CD player I really see no reason to spend money here.

You wouldn't happen to be using the digital output on your computer as well, would you?

If so, then that would explain it. You aren't actually using your onboard sound if you're using the digital out. You're just telling it to pass the digital signal through for analog conversion on a exterior device (in this case, your stereo) instead of doing the conversion itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Nuxius said:

You wouldn't happen to be using the digital output on your computer as well, would you?


Actually, not. I would like to but the digital inputs at my receiver are all already in use.

Share this post


Link to post

That thing about "sound quality" has became little more than technobabble and buzzwords. CD-quality can be practically be taken for granted on any soundcard made after 1996, and 24-bit, 96 KHz full duplex mixing is also commonplace even on "shoddy onboard chips", let alone that even those easily exceed those specs.

Chances are, they sound at least good as the analog output of your DVD player or of a rack CD player, if you still got one of those.

OK, so if you buy a $200 barracuda or X-Fi Xtreme fux0r ov3rcl0x0r you may even get frills such as replaceable, high-quality opamps, super-expensive DACs, Brownson ADCs and solid-state caps, but really, will you be able to tell the difference?

And as it has been mentioned, if you really think that your soundcard has a handicapped analog output, all distinctions vanish with the digital outputs. Hurray for digital vs analog!

Share this post


Link to post

For anyone interested in a program that can play standard MIDI files with an "FM" feeling to them, grab this cool little program here:

http://sugarpot.sakura.ne.jp/yuno/?fmmidi

FMMidi. The interface is in Japanese so you'll probably get a few ????s all over, but the menus are really self-explanatory.

Share this post


Link to post

That's really an impressive program! Probably the closest to that old classic sound that I've heard in a while...certainly beats GXSCC for accuracy, and foo_midi for compatibility. Would be nice to have something like this as a Windows driver, though.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, the source is included....so in theory anyone can have a go at it. If only I knew the first thing about windows driver architecture...

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×