Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Canadian government ready to fall

I thought it was Italy that had a tradition of short-lived governments - or is Canada hoping to set a new benchmark?

I should take more of an interest in Canadian politics, considering I do have citizenship there, but it just seems so tame and benign compared to the levels of scandal, spin and sleaze over here in the UK, heh. Pity that stories of corruption always seems more interesting than when politicians actually get it right and do something useful. Always good to hear about the timely demise of a conservative government though, heh.

AndrewB said:

...or the three opposition parties uniting to take control of government.

If only it would've been that easy here in the US in 2000 or 2004.

DooMAD said:

Pity that stories of corruption always seems more interesting than when politicians actually get it right and do something useful.

Except that this IS a story of politicians getting it right and doing something useful.

Danarchy said:

Didn't this happen last year?

Yeah... ever since Chretien left office, prime ministers have been getting non-confidenced left and right. Now that the left is uniting that may change.

Texas Libra said:

If only it would've been that easy here in the US in 2000 or 2004.

I suppose it would be impossible for motions like this to pass when every government is a majority government. This is why four parties are better than two.

Creaphis said:

Except that this IS a story of politicians getting it right and doing something useful.

Yes, it's not really all that controversial, so not quite as interesting as the murky side of politics we get plastered all over the media here. That was my point. People actually seem to like uproar and furore.

There wont be another canadien election soon. The politicial parties now that an election will cost to much right after the previouse, and wont vote for it.

avery1555 said:

There wont be another canadien election soon. The politicial parties now that an election will cost to much right after the previouse, and wont vote for it.

Sorry to sound impolite but you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Parties will vote for anything so far as it serves their own best interests. And it's not the parties that pay for the election, it's the taxpayers.

I know that the opposition parties aren't going to back down simply because it might lead to another $100 million election. Furthermore, they aren't vying for an election. The opposition parties are gunning for position to take power without an election. It's the governing Conservatives who are hoping for an election at this point. And that decision is in the hands of the Governor General, the country's representative of the Queen.

And the fact that an election was held just a few weeks ago is more reason why the GG will NOT choose to hold another election, and that's more reason why the opposition will NOT back down on this: Because pushing ahead with all the power they have will almost certainly lead to them being awarded power.

AndrewB said:

not the parties that pay for the election, it's the taxpayers.

This is not fully true. Parties have to pay for their own advertising funds, ect. Which add up to be a fortune.

If that was your original point then your logic is still flawed. This is because the opposition isn't voting for an election, it's voting to replace the government without an election. I think I already addressed this, which brings me back to my original point that you don't seem to be following what's going on here.