Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dash

trouble integrating BEX files with my WADs

I am learning to use WhackEd just today, and have already created several BEX files...however I have no idea how to get my WADs to recognize it. So far the only way I know works is to drag the BEX file onto Zdoom, but that only affects the original DOOM2 IWAD my copy of Zdoom runs on. I want to know how to include my BEX into my WAD so it makes the appropriate changes.

Drag both files onto the icon.

Alternatively, you can just insert the dehacked patch into the wad itself using XWE or something, and be sure to name it "DEHACKED". This is probably the better method as far as recent source ports go (most of the popular ones allow embedded dehacked patches).

EarthQuake said:

Alternatively, you can just insert the dehacked patch into the wad itself using XWE or something, and be sure to name it "DEHACKED". This is probably the better method as far as recent source ports go (most of the popular ones allow embedded dehacked patches).

So that's officially how the "pro" modders get their WADs to have custom strings, enemies, weapons, projectiles, events etc? Seems a bit convoluted to me. Well, I just tried it. Seems to work fine...thanks for the advice :)

The old-school way was actually making a hacked engine file. I think until recently you still had to tell doom to load both the .wad and the .deh file with source ports. It's really less convoluted to have a simple lump in your wad that can be automatically read by the game.

Ports that support the DEHACKED lump include, to my knowledge, BOOM, MBF, SMMU, Eternity, ZDoom and most if not all variants, PrBoom/plus, and possibly (don't take my word for it) Legacy. Beware of putting port-specific extensions into internal DEHACKED lumps, however. Some ports' DeHackEd parsers are intolerant of unknown information.

Just to expand on what Quasar said: Skulltag, Odamex, and ZDaemon are the ZDoom variants and all support [internal] boom extended dehacked patches.

hawkwind said:

Moderator please delete me

Let's not go overboard here. We all feel a bit guilty for making a forum faux pas, but I think deleting the post might be a sufficient replacement for murder.

IIRC - Moderators delete, Administrators rub out. I think Hawkwind's safe. :-)

Legacy doesn't seem to like DEHACKED lumps.