Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
signofzeta

Cacodemon's death sound.

I know it is funny, and it sounds odd, now, what is the history behind why the cacodemon sounds like that when it dies?

I guess I could ask the same question about the Hell Knight and Baron of Hell.

Actually, you could ask the same question about just about any of the enemies. They're sounds that seem to work with the animations and that's it as far as I know.

All the monsters death sounds seem pretty natural and like bunny said flow with each monster's death animation to me. the only one that sounds kinda wierd is the hellknights.

As both of them said, it's natural, weird but yeah.
The Doom64 death sounds actualy feel more "in there" though, Hell Knight and Baron hold quite a unique death, so does the Caco.

Though almost obviously it came from a commercial sound set, it roughly resembles a "tortured" laugh.

Don't know why but the caco death sound always sounded like someone groaning underwater, like blowing bubbles or something.

I read somewhere that the arch vile death sound is supposed to be some girl crying, something like that.

But the cacodemon death sound, sounds the most weird of all.

God, I've wondered about this. The Cacodemon death sound is messed up. The only other one that comes close is the Baron of Hell death sound. It sounds like an angry motorcycle dying.

signofzeta said:

I read somewhere that the arch vile death sound is supposed to be some girl crying, something like that.

"Why-hy-hy?"

The cacodemon death sound is great. It sounds like it's letting out gases and fluids, which is what is happening when it dies.

myk said:

The cacodemon death sound is great. It sounds like it's letting out gases and fluids, which is what is happening when it dies.

Agreed.

I don't see what is strange about the baron death sound either. To me it sounds like the powerful, defiant, yet pained death screech of a big, strong creature. Perfick!

myk said:

So that's what it was...

When I was around 7 or so, when I saw my cousins playing doom 2, I was afriad of the cacodemon death sound. I stopped playing doom for a few years, until I was 15 or so. When I heard the sound again, I laughed so hard, that i cried. Now, it seems like any other sound, and I just couldn't figure out what it was supposed to sound like, just like the baron and hellknight.

I extracted the sound, and I am listening to the sound over and over non stop, and I'm like WTF?

The Mancubus has a very fulfilling death sfx. It sounds great when you kill that monster. Goes well with it too

I read from the Doom Wiki that most sounds from Doom and Doom II came from a gigantic sound library called The "General" Series 6000. As a matter of fact, if you go to their website and hear the preview, you'll hear many familiar sounds from Doom.

http://www.sound-ideas.com/6000.html

I do know that the Former Human sounds came from monster growls from the library, and so do the Imp's, along with the Demon with sounds from big cats, such as lions, tigers, panthers, etc., and even the Hell Knight has a dying sound taken from an attacking leopard. However, I've never been able to figure out where the Cacodemon death sound came from. I have to admit, it is one of the weirdest sounds I've ever heard.

It sounded obvious to me all along, (the sound of guts popping/squirting out, like when you squish a caterpillar or mouse) and I would've answered first but I wanted to hear what other people would say about it.

I always did think that the cacodemon's death sound is very burbly, which is appropriate given the gooshiness of the animation sequence. This effect is even more pronounced for the mancubus, where you can really hear all the flesh plopping off into a bloody mess.

The baron of hell generally has much better sounds than the hell knight. I remember when I first played the Phobos Anomaly, and I had never seen anything more intimidating than a demon, and the roar of the barons was so impressive and intimidating...I think I remember running away out of terror :P

I also find the demon's death sound satisfying...especially the thud at the end.

Yup agreed.

On the other end of the scale, I think the Archvile death must look the worst of the lot and also has a very weak sound. I'm never entirely sure about the revenant. I like the idea that it sounds like breaking bones but I think it is too brief and too quiet and doesn't really match the animation very well. Surely that armour would clatter of the ground if nothing else?

I would probably edit the hell knight 'COWA' and put a 'BUNGA' on the end if I knew how for fun.
The reason a dying caco sounds like a tortured gooshy laugh is it knows it has one final 'attack' against you- leaving its enormous corpse to block your vision.

Dgon92 said:

and even the Hell Knight has a dying sound taken from an attacking leopard.

I would of never of guessed that. Hell Knight's death sound doesent make me think leopard. At all.

The caco's death seems like it's quivering in pain quietly. The letting out air thing I can agree with as well, but to say liquids is a little off, since the sound seems more dry than anything.

Baron sounds like a big angry cow.

Archvile's sound is so wierd. Read about it a while ago about being an edited sound clip of a girl crying like zeta said, quite interesting.

Manc sounds very fitting I agree. The revenant's death sound could be more "filling", like more bones breaking, and maybe some vocal effect would of made it stronger.

walligig said:

All the monsters death sounds seem pretty natural and like bunny said flow with each monster's death animation to me. the only one that sounds kinda wierd is the hellknights.

hellknights aren't terribly great. The Pain Elementals pain chance sound is pretty bad. Cacodemon's death sound is perfect--sounds like the gases inside her are deflating and that she's reluctantly giving up the ghost.

Lich said:

God, I've wondered about this. The Cacodemon death sound is messed up. The only other one that comes close is the Baron of Hell death sound. It sounds like an angry motorcycle dying.

Baron death sound is genius.

gggmork said:

I would probably edit the hell knight 'COWA' and put a 'BUNGA' on the end if I knew how for fun.

I always thought they said "ABBA", possibly referring to their demonic master, or else it's just a random noise that happens to sound like that.

Inferno said:

I would of never of guessed that. Hell Knight's death sound doesent make me think leopard. At all.

My mistake. It actually came from an attacking jaguar.

I know, I'm amazed too, but as proof, here's the original sound the Hell Knight's death sound came from.

http://www.upload-mp3.com/pfiles/38838/jaguar.mp3

You're bound to here the sound in there somewhere.

Dgon92 said:

I do know that the Former Human sounds came from monster growls from the library, and so do the Imp's

The Imps sounds are from a camel.

Yes, the imp's death sounds are from camel grunts, but the imp's seeing sounds came from the monster growls from the library.