Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sLydE

Which operating system do you use most?

Which operating system do you use most?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system do you use most?

• Windows
    • Mac OS X
    • Linux
    • Other

As a gamer, you are generally a technical person. What operating system do you use most?

I'm not talking about strictly for gaming. What OS do you use for productivity? Creativity? Horsing around?

Also note that I am running this poll on a few different sites, so if you frequent those sites, please only vote once, as I will be compiling the numbers at the end of the run.

nope, I was just really curious today, and thought I would ask everyone. I also posted on NewDoom and Interlopers.

sLydE said:

As a gamer, you are generally a technical person.

Since when?

I use Windows - predominantly Vista and XP

Windows XP at work & for games, OS X for everything else at home.

In before XP vs Vista shitstorm.

Where's the option for Emacs? :)

Seriously though, I definitely use Linux the most. The break down is like this: on my laptops/Eee PCs and home servers, I run Slackware Linux exclusively. On my desktop, it's dual-booted with Slackware and Windows XP (need to keep it around to write music and play an occasional game). On my servers at work, RHEL 4 (5 starting tomorrow) and Ubuntu Server. On my iPod, I run Rockbox.

MasterOFDeath said:

Windows XP. I'd use Vista if it didn't suck.

Contrary to people on the internet who have probably never used Vista, I can report that it does not suck.

Bucket said:

Contrary to people on the internet who have probably never used Vista, I can report that it does not suck.

"Does not suck" isn't really the benchmark for what's supposed to be a cutting-edge operating system. It's certainly good enough for most casual users, but the fact that it adds no features over XP and is hideously bloated is a concern for some.

exp(x) said:

What the hell is with all the polls?

Hm. To figure this out, I think we'll need - a poll!

Well then YOU will be pleased to know that those gigs of Vista install data are used on ACTUAL programs and services that ACTUALLY do things.

I dualboot WinXP and Ubuntu on this computer, and have several virtual computers for older MS OSes. I have another XP tower and a 386 with 3.1 on it. I admin OSX labs for the university program I have my little student job for. The great majority of my leisure computer time is spent on Windows XP though, because of one program.

MS Paint.

(Which I could really just use in WINE, but it's just NOT THE SAME!)

OK, truthfully I don't use Ubuntu that much because of shitty multi monitor support. For general tasks and desktop management I like it the best of the three though.

PS: Apple computing platforms and OSX are horrible. Much worse than anything MS has put out since ME.

Shaikoten said:

OK, truthfully I don't use Ubuntu that much because of shitty multi monitor support.

Multiple monitors work fine for me under nvidia-settings. Of course if you don't have an Nvidia card, that won't do you any good.

Mindless Rambler said:

Yeah Creaphis, it's not like Windows XP or Ubuntu can do the same things Vista can in less than two gigabytes. Oh wait...

XP, maybe. But Ubuntu? It is to laugh.

exp(x) said:

Multiple monitors work fine for me under nvidia-settings. Of course if you don't have an Nvidia card, that won't do you any good.

Yeah, intel onboard graphics. If I had an nvidia card it'd be fine. But then again if it had an nvidia card I'd probably just be using XP most of the time to play more modern games. Though I don't game that much anymore, I hate restarting my computer.

I use Windows XP x64 and Ubuntu on a dual boot. Unless I get a Mac, I can't really drop Windows because of Adobe Illustrator. But I do like writing web app shits in the Ubuntu environment. It's nice having PHP, MySQL and Apache and other downloads via Synaptic.

Windows seems to mysteriously increase in size over time, and I don't like wasting my money on virus scanners and such (which also waste valuable computing time), so my next computer, I'll be taking a full move to Ubuntu.

sLydE said:

As a gamer, you are generally a technical person.

Correction. As a doom community member, your likely to be a technical person. Seriously, I find better tech support in zdoom and doomworld then I do in any other web forum.

I'm a Windows guy. Always will be.

My version of choice is Windows 2000. Lightweight. Stable. Easy to configure and install. The only thing to be desired are some of the minor enhancements of XP, but I have several hacks and tweaks all bundled together that I load after installing Windows. Couldn't be happier.

Windows because it's what was preinstalled on the computer; and the hard drive was a bit too small for me to put a Linux partition.

Windows Vista.

I have no use for Linux. None of the professional software I need for work runs on it and for private use it just isn't worth it. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys twiddling with the OS.

Oh and BTW, Vista out-of-the-box indeed sucks, but it is not that hard to defuse all the nasty stuff so that it is on par with XP in terms of usability and user friendliness.

Xubuntu 8.04 64-bit currently. I tend to fluctuate between Ubuntu and Fedora depending on how their latest release is doing. I also tend to switch into XFCE instead of Gnome. I don't NEED to, but it's just a tad more responsive, which I like.

All the games I play either have a linux executable available or run well enough under WINE. I haven't switched back to XP in almost two years, but I still have it installed and can boot into it if I needed to.