Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant

wad to pk3 converter - Python script

http://revenant1.net/doom/wad2pk3.py

This is a Python script I wrote about a week ago. It uses the Omgifol library to convert WAD files into nice compressed and organized pk3 files for ZDoom.

I would have posted a Windows binary as well, but py2exe was giving me strange and annoying DLL errors that ten minutes of Google usage couldn't solve, so I gave up. If anyone here has a bit of Python expertise and wouldn't mind creating a binary (or helping me figure out the problem), I'd appreciate it greatly :P

There are a couple of minor bugs you should know about before using:
- Omgifol treats the MAPINFO lump as an actual map entry instead of a text lump, so the pk3 file will have an empty WAD file named 'mapinfo.wad' in the 'maps' directory. You'll have to add the real mapinfo lump manually. Sorry!
- If you have maps in your WAD file that don't follow the E?M? or MAP* naming convention, it might not get converted properly. I have no idea what Omgifol does with these.
- This script doesn't utilize the DOOMWADDIR environment variable. I might add it later.

This script is released under the terms of the Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License.

Okay, have fun!

Wait, what, since when do you need a script to zip a bunch of files and rename the zip as pk3?

Jodwin said:

Wait, what, since when do you need a script to zip a bunch of files and rename the zip as pk3?

You forget the "extract all the lumps from a WAD in order to get the bunch of files" step.