Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

Doom 3dmodel Project/pack (Dmp)

KuriKai said:

true to the originals

if you were serious about that then why did you start with the worst doomguy model in the world

He looks fine to me...far better looking than the Doom 3 Classic mod's Doomguy, who happened to be wearing a belly shirt for a fucking space suit.

Anatomy: Some tweaks should be made to the anatomy. The arms/shoulders are too high and look -very- stiff. The collar bone of a human being comes down at a slight angle. Look for imagines of people in natural stances and you'll see what I mean.

Secondly, his stomach could stand to come in just a little bit from the sides to give him less of a blocky look.

His thighs could be pulled in a little from the back. His torso could also be scaled in a -tiny- bit to match the arms more closely.

Legs: Give this man some boots! The shin plate is fine but give him some boots (think Aliens). Right now it looks like he's wearing shoes. O_o;;

Texture: More definition for wrinkles and such would be welcomed on the legs. Gloves could be re-done, add some noise to it and grit it up. Make it look dirty. (something I've not learned to do yet myself.)

my crappy MS paintover. . . I really need a tablet.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3198/screenshot58tp7ow8.jpg

I'd like to see a wireframe.

leileilol said:

if you were serious about that then why did you start with the worst doomguy model in the world

Nice to see other modelers offering such valuable critiques when someone in the community shows even a modicum of interest in modeling something -new-. Hell with improving their skill set. Let's bash their fucking work. That's so much easier. . .

Eternus said:

He looks fine to me...far better looking than the Doom 3 Classic mod's Doomguy, who happened to be wearing a belly shirt for a fucking space suit.

saying that one terrible model is looking better cause it's not as bad as another terrible model is not making it "looking fine".

Sorry Kurikai it's a terrible model. I'm not trying to be offensive, but I think it's best to be frank about that.
But keep working on it, and watch references of real humans and I'm sure you'll make some great progress.

DooMAD said:

Why is he wearing some kind of weird thong?

Psychological warfare. It temporarily stuns all his opponents.

Besides, its not like any of his space marine buddies are going to see him in that, unless he meets some during his visits to hell.

Creaphis said:

Psychological warfare. It temporarily stuns all his opponents.

It's true. I actually tested this out by robbing a bank. I kicked down the door and charged in wearing nothing but a thong and waving a pistol in the air. The guards were so stunned that I was able to run to the back screaming profanity at the top of my lungs and tripping over stuff as I ran, blow a hole in the vault, grab the money, and get the hell out of there.

Update

Hope it is better now.
Thanks for constructive criticism sirtimberwolf

@DooMAD
It is called a codpiece

Please post comments on the doom 3dmodel project forums
You don't even have to sign up to post

I think the legs look a bit too short now. And maybe his arms being 10 inches thick is a bit unrealistic.

Doomguy's physique is similarly unrealistic, you'd have to expect that to be reflected in the model.

KuriKai said:

It is called a codpiece

Also known as a posing pouch. A cricketer would call it a box and wear it under their pants.

KuriKai said:

It is called a codpiece

Maybe make it a little more armoured looking like the shin pads.

My only other small criticism would be the shape of the visor. To me it seems a bit too much of a crescent shape, the box art tends to show it better than the sprite does. And the helmet is too grey.

The new version certainly looks more proportionate in general.

DooMAD said:

Maybe make it a little more armoured looking like the shin pads.

My only other small criticism would be the shape of the visor. To me it seems a bit too much of a crescent shape, the box art tends to show it better than the sprite does. And the helmet is too grey.

The new version certainly looks more proportionate in general.

I will try tweak the visor. But there is a big problem. If I shape it like the box art then people will complain it doesn't look like the sprite.
my doomguy model is a mix of the box art, clay model and the sprite. Leaning more towards the sprite now

I think what would fix a lot of the problem would be to simply make the entire model taller. The legs look too short, and the torso also looks too short.

It is definitely improving tho. As others have said, keep looking at images of people in their natural stance. Look at pics of soldiers in their battle gear. etc etc.

For some reason, I can't help but think that this model looks like it just stepped out of a Southpark episode.

Keep in mind that Doom is stretched from 320x200 to 320x240 and likewise for higher resolutions, so it will look taller in-game.
Can't wait to see this project's results!

Personally I'd try to replicate Q3 Doom marine model. It isn't perfect, but in my opinion it's the best adaption of the classic DOOM marine to a model that was made so far.

phi108 said:

Keep in mind that Doom is stretched from 320x200 to 320x240 and likewise for higher resolutions, so it will look taller in-game.

I was just about to make this comment. Are you sure that the sprite you're using for reference is properly scaled? The model probably should be stretched to be taller than it is.

phi108 said:

And for people like me who play 640x400 (or other 16:10 aspect ratios) on a 4:3 CRT, the pixels are rectangular, so it's the same... I think... right?

Update on my doomguy yes I know the hands are too small. I will work on them soon

A baron of hell is in the works also and the pinky demon.
Help in making other models. I'm sure would be greatly appreciated by most of the doom community as well.

If any of you have wanted to try make some models this is a great time to do it

Update on my doomguy model

I have rigged it with a skeleton so it's easier to animate. I still have to make all the weapons he uses and animate him using them