Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

Tag 667 problem

Can someone please explain as to why the damn sectors raise to this height once all arachs are dead.They used to go up by 16 units, and I could grab the red key.The map isn't finished and I have not used tag 666 yet, maybe thats the reason it doesn't work properly?

Download link below, idclev to map07 please.
http://www.speedyshare.com/660780566.html

When the arachs are killed, the special tagged sector will rise, according to the height of the texture on the sectors.

In your case, your red marble texture is 128 units high, it will rise by that amount (128 units). If you had a step texture, it will go up 16 units. Hope this helps.

Note that Boom made some changes to the way this works (it's a compatibility option in many ports), so be sure to test your map with both Boom and vanilla behaviour.

Alien Vendetta map07 is one of the better known examples of this issue, while Armadosia's map07 has a very clear-cut example too.

Grazza said:

Note that Boom made some changes to the way this works (it's a compatibility option in many ports), so be sure to test your map with both Boom and vanilla behaviour.

Alien Vendetta map07 is one of the better known examples of this issue, while Armadosia's map07 has a very clear-cut example too.

Out of curiosity, what actually *is* the difference in Boom's behavior?

I'm not quite sure offhand exactly what the technical difference is (which is why I didn't state it more explicitly), but I am sure you can find it out with a bit of searching.

But I think it is to do with doom not regarding the first texture in TEXTURE1 as a real texture, but the code that identified the lowest texture (at least for tag 667 purposes) checking it anyway. Presumably Boom made it ignore it? Don't have time to check that by looking at the code, I'm afraid.

Boom made two changes
1. ignore '-' on lower textures. Doom erroneous checks it and hence gets the height from the first (dummy) texture : AASTINKY or AASHITTY.
2. prevent overflow on new height, Doom could wrap around where Boom limits it to 32000

PrBoom has a compatibility mode to get the original behavior.