Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blackthorn

Fog in specific sectors in zdoom?

I'm currently working on my second WAD ever (first was a terrible Doom map I made back in 2004, which was rushed and utterly sucked); a map (or possible map set depending how this first one goes) for Hexen (in zdoom). I want the outside areas of the map to be foggy ala Hexen MAP08, which I've managed to do using MAPINFO. However, I have some sectors which are technically "outside", but don't have a sky texture, and subsequently aren't foggy.

My question is: is there a way to define fog on a sector-by-sector basis? I don't want the whole level to be foggy, but only having the sectors with sky texture foggy makes some areas look a bit odd.

Great! So if I'm using Sector_SetFade, the fog will (by default) appear in the same colour I specified in "outsidefog" in the MAPINFO lump?

crudux_cruo said:

Great! So if I'm using Sector_SetFade, the fog will (by default) appear in the same colour I specified in "outsidefog" in the MAPINFO lump?

I don't believe so. If you use a Sector_SetFade script, it would look a bit like this.

script 1 OPEN
[
Sector_SetFade (const:0, 0, 0, 0);
]

The first value on the left is the sector tag, and the next three are the RGB values in that order.

Also, this probably belongs in the editing section :P.

Yeah, this does belong in the editing section, which I only realised after I posted it. Could one of the mods move it please?

I understand that you can specify colour in the Sector_SetFade script, but the ZDoom wiki article says: "By default, this is whatever the level's fade is specified as being in a MAPINFO lump, or black, if it doesn't specify a fade."

I was wondering whether ZDoom will take the default colour from an "outsidefog" value in MAPINFO, or if it only creates a default if you've used "fade".