Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ExpiredPopsicle

Random Doom fanart to celebrate the 15th anniversary of its release

Wow. It's been so long since I posted on this forum that I forgot my old user name and had to re-register. (Really.)

Still, my lack of involvement with the Doom community has not made me forget the importance of December 10th to myself and other Doom fanatics, especially this one because it's 15 years since the release of the game. (Because multiples of five are important or something.)

Anyway, I decided to take time out of studying for important college finals to do something to commemorate the event. So for a couple of days I worked on this drawing at the expense of grades.

Here's a link to it on my DA account:
http://expiredpopsicle.deviantart.com/art/15-Years-of-Doom-105930081

And here's the image itself: (If this is broken, then I'll have moved it from my website for bandwidth or storage space reasons.)

Enjoy. :]

I really like your deviation it came out nicely. Also, I give you much kudos for taking time out from studying to do this, as its very thoughtful.

But I'm not saying you should ignore your studies either!

Coopersville said:

Now do a pin-up of Crash.

Haha. I'm tempted to now. =P

There's some other Doom-related art in the gallery there, but nothing with quite the same level of effort as the one I did for today.

As far as the finals go, I'm actually pretty comfortable with the material already and was mostly kidding about the grade-sacrificing. This is my last quarter at a university and the only hard final I have is for a class I don't need to graduate anyway.

Though, what's quite interesting is that the last final of my college career was scheduled to coincide with the 15th birthday of Doom. And I'm graduating from UCSC's new Game Design degree program. Hopefully it's a good omen or something.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys like the art. I'll be sure to post more when I get it done. :D

Pretty cool, I like the Space Marine in particular. The Lost Soul almost has an Asian look to its features. Seeing as how you specifically intended this to commemorate 15 years of DOOM, I think it would have been good to indicate that somehow, visually, on the piece.

Awesome art style. The imp's odd proportions almost make it cute in a way. There is something off about the Doomguy's visor though. It looks too similar to that of the Halo marine (perhaps changing the color to a tan shade and making the visor "taller" might help). But very good nonetheless. I approve of this image.

MmM said:

Pretty cool, I like the Space Marine in particular. The Lost Soul almost has an Asian look to its features. Seeing as how you specifically intended this to commemorate 15 years of DOOM, I think it would have been good to indicate that somehow, visually, on the piece.

I was trying to write "15 years" or something similar in blood on the chainsaw's blade, but it never turned out right. Another thing I tried was to have the blade covered in blood, as it is now, but have the text "15 years" as a rough clean area on it.

I'm perfectly happy with it as an otherwise generic Doom fanart piece, though. :]

EarthQuake said:

Awesome art style. The imp's odd proportions almost make it cute in a way. There is something off about the Doomguy's visor though. It looks too similar to that of the Halo marine (perhaps changing the color to a tan shade and making the visor "taller" might help). But very good nonetheless. I approve of this image.

I'm one of those people who thinks the Halo guy ripped off the Doom guy's style. ;] I tried to keep close to the Doom box art version of the helmet, but I ended up with something looking a little like an off-road motorcycle helmet.

r_rr said:

Nicely done. I like how the blood is done, and the marine's helmet visor.

Thanks. I actually have another version with no blood at all that I almost posted because I didn't want to break any rules on DA. >_o

I want to draw more now, but I've become hopelessly addicted to ZDaemon after installing it to play Doom all day online on the 10th. Good to see that Doom still has the productivity-killing properties that we all love it for. >:]