Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Map Status and Map Bug Reports

List of maps that need work and bug reports, also links to updated maps.
Post bug reports in this thread and I will update this post.

Submit new maps with ones that need replaced!

ATTN: Mappers can use the latest daily build so the new Final Doom textures can be used.

Doom Builder 2 Mapping cfgs,
Freedoom
Ultimate Freedoom

All bug reports are for the latest official daily builds. http://free.doomers.org/

Maps with names next to them are known to be currently worked on.

ALL MAPS NEED PLAY TESTING IN SKILL LEVELS 2,3 and 4.

-= Freedoom =-

map01: HOM in sky by balcony, door sector|secret path missing colormap
map03: more health on lower skills, maybe swapped into another mapslot
map10: not finished, currently being worked on = xerent
map19: not finished, currently being worked on, crashes boom202 = dabski?
map23: route management, more keys(maybe all 6), locked doors or something is needed.
map24: is being remade = cato
map30: retexturing?
map31: now playable, has both exits, Currently being worked on =cato
map32: not started

-= Ultimate Freedoom =-

E1M5: currently being worked on = Zok
E1M6: looks very nice but no monsters or ammo
E1M7: Possible trap around 1159, 2567, -128..blue key door area
E1M8: Lots of HOM in sky, big lift in middle HOM at edges.
E1M9: looks very nice but no monsters or ammo

E2M3: not started
E2M5: not started
E2M6: not started
E2M7: not finished, currently being worked on = lareman
E2M8: not started
E2M9: not started

E3M2: not finished
E3M3: not started
E3M4: not finished, currently being worked on = NKo
E3M5: not started
E3M6: not started
E3M7: not started
E3M9: not started

E4M2: not finished, currently being worked on = ghostlydeath
E4M3: not started
E4M4: not started
E4M5: not started
E4M6: not started
E4M7: not started
E4M8: not started
E4M9: not started

-= FreeDM =-

FreeDM has taken a drastic turn! All old maps will be released as a pwad.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/50285-freeudmx/

1) Map 18 needs the easy flag for the teleport sprites at sectors 95, 96, 97 and 98.

2) Also a minor correction to map 25 HERE

I increased sector 431 by 1 map unit to accommodate the new gstfont texture and filled in the missing texture on line 1397.

3) There are errors in texture1 lump. DBRAIN1 is wrong. Note the effect at map 30 line 3447. Also doom1's SW1/2STARG is screwed up.

It should be this for sw1starg

sw19_3 64 0
sw19_4 0 0
sw3s0 48 76

It should be this for sw2starg

sw19_3 64 0
sw19_4 0 0
sw3s1 48 76

well i finish an one map15 for freedoom, i send the map to fraggle. but i really want see if the map isnt to hard for other players, a friend mine said me have a moderate skill (and i dont think its a good idea upload here well im going to upload to the freedoom archives when i have a little time) oh sorry im new here ^^ i join because want to help in freedoom :D.

Last EDIT: 08/18/2010
since my hosting service shut down they servers... i upload my files to another hosting so there is the map15 with the hom fixed and things change when you are playing on specific Skill

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DQ5XTCQ9

i upload both maps on the same file

I Think its all

Very nice level, I enjoyed it. It's in the repository now, you should see it soon in the nightly builds Cato linked to.

boris said:

Pretty good. But... did you throw in every available texture?

and i feel that i dont have enought textures for the map lol but well.. i dont have idea how many different textures i use on this map.
and thanks for the comments about the map ^^

Added mapping cfgs to first post.

Also this thread may fall to bottom of thread list, but first post is updated often.

Still has the latest map reports.

I have been working on modifing Map13. You may wish to consider it for FreeDoom. It is rough yet with many functional flaws. It is just an editor file yet, not yet played.

My modifications include:
Give it a "Downtown" feel, with street and local buildings, fence.
Making the facility sensible with some functionality of a business.
Voodoo-free path around critical door.
A voodoo operated elevator (non-critical path).
Extended pool and more canals.
Dock, warehouse, back warehouse, control room, pump room.
Extra paths around and through existing areas, which can be used at any time. This removes the one-path solution of previous design.
Very non-obvious, non-constrained, as to solution path.
Make use of all three keys (I could use 4 or 5).
Remove weird teleport traps, replaced with design compatible ones.

Is it proper for FreeDoom to use all six keys (normal and skull)???

This would be easier if there was a manual of solutions for common situations. I am having to figure these out by looking at FreeDoom levels. Then trying to figure how to make it happen in editor.
- doors, how high for each part
- steps, how high
- window, how high for ledge and top
- switches, plain or indented, what heights to use for indent.
- facade at edge of level, howto

Using Yadex, it has some nice combination operations, but it makes mistakes which I have to correct the hard way.
It has a level checker which finds any incomplete sector and other
nitpicky things like unused vertices laying about.

Map13 is so small and bare you can really do whatever you want.
6 keys is boom compat, so go for it.
Texture a door, then modify door sector so door texture fits.
Steps, switches and windows are just do whatever feels right, and fits to texture. Fits = looks good, does not need to exactly fit.
Facade? You mean the sky on floor or wall edge? That is from not using a texture on wall and lowering sector. Look at other maps to see exactly how its done.

Yadex? Mac or Linux? Slade I think can work on mac, and it works very well on linux. I dont think Yadex has a 3dmode.

Catoptromancy said:

map15: crashes boom202

D: aww dont know that >_<. maybe i need to test my maps with boom202 im no sure why crashes it if i made the map in doom2 format :S well going to check that later.

It may have nothing to do with map. If a texture in combined.txt is messed up and a map uses that texture, it would cause that map to crash.
I will eventually get around to debugging it.

Prboom and nearly all other ports still play all the maps fine as they as less picky about errors.

What tool for taking editor output and BSP'ing it into a PWAD are the FreeDoom'ers using ??? I need one for Linux, (or if desperate I could go back and forth to FreeDos) or else I won't be able to play test this MAP13 at all. I eventually will find the old doc I read that said what to use, but that was like 8 years old, or more.

If really, really, desperate, I could copy to memory-stick, use a computer running WIN98, and copy by memory-stick back to my computer.

wesleyjohnson said:

What tool for taking editor output and BSP'ing it into a PWAD are the FreeDoom'ers using ??? I need one for Linux, (or if desperate I could go back and forth to FreeDos) or else I won't be able to play test this MAP13 at all. I eventually will find the old doc I read that said what to use, but that was like 8 years old, or more.

If really, really, desperate, I could copy to memory-stick, use a computer running WIN98, and copy by memory-stick back to my computer.

Well, people mapping for Freedoom could be using ZDBSP, idBSP, and plain old BSP (http://games.moria.org.uk/doom/bsp/). It doesn't matter really, but I'd recommend the last node builder.

You are free to use anyone you want, but the last one works on DOS, Windows, and Linux (provided you compile it).

I mostly use Slade in linux, it works great for all mapping.
I also use DoomBuilder 1 in wine. It does a few advanced things Slade does not do.
They both have built in node builders. Or you could download zennode and rebuild nodes separately.

Thank you. I went looking for such tools in doomworld but could not find them. Now having some names, I can search better. I may even already have one.

Got side-tracked lately. Decided that I did not know what height to make steps, and what to do about facade (outside walls of level that are just a front for nothing behind them), and how high in units a loading dock should be. Have been writing a HOW-TO on doom level common structures from researching other maps, and the following documents.
Cites documents: UDS, Boom spec, Design12, METRICS, TEXTURES.
Those do give many facts and FAQs, but what I needed were canned procedures for making common items, like steps (how high), walls, inset door. I spend too much time undoing damage caused by merge or split functions in Yadex, and I do not know why they are failing. Especially needed was knowing what areas needed to be a sector, and which could be non-sector. I have been looking at other maps but that only shows what one person did in one situation without any explanation.

Got a few nodebuilders, found a couple more docs.
SLADE sounds interesting but I cannot find a copy of it, the home page
on mancubus.net is "unavailable".

Got SLADE download from TeamHellSpawn.

I dont know if this is the right place to contribute, but i would like to work on E2M7 of Ultimate Freedoom.

I'm new here. Tried to figure out how to make mapping work on the Mac OS X platform. So in the end I just downloaded Yadex, compiled it, learned it, downloaded BSP, compiled it, made a test map and tested it.

I'd like to help out on this project. I won't make any guarantees due to personal time restraints though I have extensive experience with mapping and texture work. Back in the day I used to map (officially) for the Half-Life mod Day of Defeat that Valve ended up buying. I'll keep checking in and see what's going on, and then maybe drop a map or two on you.

Cheers!

Edit: I've started to work on something.

MAP15: How do you get out of the pit after you get the red key and kill the archvile and friends? Nothing seems to let you out ...

MAP13 status report, July 17

Was going to modify the existing map13, but now I am removing all
previous map13 recognizable structures. The existing map13 could
then be reused as another missing level. There still might be some similarities in three rooms that might be recognizable, and I am going to look at changing those too.

I am working on this every night. It would go faster if I did not
change my mind so many times.

The design criteria is that it will be a "Downtown" level. It has
a view of the street and surrounding buildings. It is being designed
to fit in the map13 slot.
The buildings will be somewhat accurate old city buildings (brick, etc) with narrow doorways, a few tight hallways, lots of warehouse space.
I am having to adapt door textures to my narrow doorways by adjusting
the x,y offset so the cutoff does not look to bad.
The play of the level will be very non-linear, with multiple solution
paths.

As I figure things out I am writing a guide for Doom level elements.
Got METRICS, DESIGN12, etc..., plus my own experiments.
So when I put in a new shelve, or stairs, I go back to the guide
where I have the range of heights that worked well. The stair
guide is rather useful after I figured out how much headroom was needed for each stair height and depth.

I am about 3/4 done, which means that there is probably 50% more work to be done before first upload.

I will submit a copy of the guide too, to DoomWorld too.

Linux edit info:
I am running Linux 2.4.31, Slackware on Athlon.
Editing using Yadex 1.7, with most patches applied (like 3D view).
BSP using zennode (flawless apparently).
Play testing on Legacy (my patches applied), and prboom.
I have downloaded almost everything else that looked like it would
compile on linux, but these are what I am using.
I also ported Zeth to Linux (9 months ago), but now I cannot find it. (I found it, if anybody cares. Yadex is better.)