Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom's 15th Birthday

It's still December 10th in half the world at the time this was posted, so we can still say: Happy 15th Birthday, Doom! There's definitely something special about a computer game that still has such a strong following after so many years. It wouldn't be possible without all those people who still go about creating levels, source ports, and other modifications, and to celebrate those people and their works, we present to you The 15th Annual Cacowards.

This year, Scuba Steve teams up with Patrick Pineda (formerly Janitor) and special guest Darknation. Your master of ceremonies is Alex "pritch" Pritchard.

To think I singlehandedly delayed the worlds most important holiday. Regardless, time to let the partying begin. I shall celebrate by ... uh ... playing doom ... and uh ... hoping Bloodshedder doesn't know where I live.

I'd also like to thank iceman for giving me some inspiration for the DVII review...

Happy Birthday Doom!
Heh, how did I know Action Doom 2 was going to win a cacoaward? Also, I'm surprised I didn't hear about the wad that made the worst wad.

Yup happy B'day Doom. Next year, you'll be old enough to marry. My wife better look out. ;)

A good Cacowards article too. Definitely some good choices in there and the comments on the various WADs are a good and entertaining read as well. There were definitely some cracking WADs released this year. Many of them really push the boundaries of what is expected from Doom, which I always find welcome, but there are also some excellent "traditional" maps in there too, which is equally welcome. The choice of Vader as mapper of the year gets a definite thumbs up from me. The bar has been raised a notch or two this year and a great deal of that is down to Bjorn's work. The fact that he is also a talented artist and has produced some of the nicest new sprites available makes for some substancial icing on an already very tasty cake.

Thanks very much for my cacoward and the very positive comments about my project. Quite a few people had said that it was deserving of a cacoward but I was never that sure. It was a project that I released almost by accident and it was never originally intended for a public release so it really gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to have it so well received. Thanks again.

Enjay said:

Yup happy B'day Doom. Next year, you'll be old enough to marry. My wife better look out. ;)

Indeed. The ladies love Doom.

Good selection!

But I am wondering who actually dug out that 'worst WAD'. I always felt that a project that got this 'trophy' should at least have tried something - and then fail miserably. This is so far gone that it isn't even worth mentioning.

Where's the Doom Rampage or at least Nazi Auferstehung - both pompous projects that failed in any imaginable way.

But this is just - well - shit.

*Acceptance speech*

Thank you, my esteemed colleagues, for only making nine good projects this year. I never could have won without you.

:)

Patrick: I hadn't played Cold as Hell yet, and now I know the twist ending! Aw shucks.

Graf: Well, part of me is glad to know that there isn't an autistic child crying over this "award" somewhere.

Creaphis said:

*Acceptance speech*
I never could have won without you.

Ah shit, sorry about that man. There was a bit of a mix up there... that award was actually supposed to go Imp Encounter: The second confrontation. Your wad was supposed to go under worst wad of the year.

A great selection of wads and a good read too - big thanks to the mappers, the Cacoward team and the Doomworld staff for this :>

However ( and please don't throw tomatoes at me ), I think it's sad that there's absolutely nothing that was said about Death-Destiny here. This guy made lots of good projects ( Grime, Abyssion, No Chance... Not to forget Dark Plutonia, a megawad which looked very promising ). I really think he deserved a word or two at least.
Ah well, guess there's not enough room for everyone anyway :p

Happy birthday and long live Doom :)

In the nomination thread, there was one wad posted by death-destiny. I don't know anything about him and have only heard of the one map that was nominated... which I wouldn't call one of the 10 best. Is there some reason I should have talked about him above the dozens of other good mappers that I didn't talk about?

I am drunk on whiskey... FOR YOU DOOM. (Not really, I don't need any excuse to get wasted on that stuff.)
Well, no fapper of teh year for me this time either. Might got something to do with me not actually releasing anything for the last two years. But I digress.
Next year I should have my Heretic wad out, not sure if that's up and acceptable for Cacowards though, since it really doesn't got anything to do with cacos. But at least I should get an honorable mention for being the guy who actually made a Doom character model that didn't suck. :p

Yeah, I know. I am such an attention whore. That's why you love/hate me.

EDIT: I am disapointed though, Scuba. You asked me to write something. But you never gave me any kind of assignment. Though it might be for the better, since I can't really write anything about anything for more than one sentence without atleast criticizing it just a litte bit.

Yes, I am rambling. I did tell you about the whiskey at the start of this post. Just got your own self to blame for reading this far.

kristus said:

Next year I should have my Heretic wad out, not sure if that's up and acceptable for Cacowards though, since it really doesn't got anything to do with cacos. :p

Replace the afrit sprites with cacodemons. problem solved. :P

Considering that Death-Destiny hasn't released Dark Plutonia, there's little sense in honoring him for it. But, I think it will be (or would be) worth an award when completed.

I'd like to see some award-worthy Heretic/Hexen/Strife wads, so it's good to see "big budget" Heretic projects. Keep at it, Kristus, there's an intangible pixelated statuette with your name on it.

Craigs said:

Replace the afrit sprites with cacodemons. problem solved. :P

That's Iron Lich for U nub. lulz wut. :D ;) <Smilie rampage goes here>
Unless you're talking about Hexen of course. But I expect that to be rather odd pussyish cacos. :p

Anyways, thanks Craigs and Creapis, for stroking my (drunk) ego. ;)

A long long time ago it was
A game came out and that's because
No game could do what Doom sure does
Happy Birthday Doom

It wasn't long till folks got thinkin'
Man these other games be stinkin'
I'll deathmatch you like Abraham Lincoln
That rhyme really sucked

So now we see another year
Of maps and ports we hold so dear
ACTION DOOM 2 IS FINALLY HERE!
Happy Birthday Doom

Another year of MIDIs playin'
Rifles fired and people sayin'
"We're all not done till Satan's prayin!"
Happy Birthday Doom

Action has way too much action in it to be in the cacoawards. What we need is an action award specifically for any Action Doom sequels made. It's just way too big and hard for the cacoawards.

I can't get over how beautiful map 27 of Eternal IV is... I could just look at that map all day and never stop being amazed. :P

Woohoo! I didn't realize how awesome this year was in terms of releases. Congratulations to all of the winners :D

Unfortunately, nobody will stop playing Dwango5.

Actually, as of right now there are very few servers on Skulltag that have Dwango 5... :|