Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

SVN ?

Please forgive my ignorance... but what is the SVN version of a source port?

Is there a reason that my old zdoom maps can't run on the SVN version of zdoom?

Lorenzo

This is SVN. It is used to manage the source code. When someone talks about an SVN version of ZDoom it means it's newer than the official (2.2.0) release. You can get them here.

A more in detail explanation is provided on the ZDoom wiki.

While I'm pretty sure all currently-maintained source ports have a SVN (unless some people still use CVS), not all of them have a public SVN, though. Closed-source ports, by definition, keep their SVN private; but even some open-source ports, like Vavoom, have a private SVN.

Lorenzo said:

Is there a reason that my old zdoom maps can't run on the SVN version of zdoom?

Your old maps probably use ZDoom features that are now handled differently or no longer supported.

On a deeper note, Subversion (frequently abbreviated SVN) is a version control system (also sometimes called revision control or source code management, they all mean the same thing), and that means that the developers commit their changes to a repository so that the full history of development between versions can be explored, you can find out who did what (most frequently "Who the fuck broke it?" answer: "svn blame file"). Subversion is probably the most popular centralized version control, which means there's a single server that everyone must commit all their changes to, and (usually) only a limited number of special people are allowed to commit changes.

read more here

GreyGhost said:

Your old maps probably use ZDoom features that are ... no longer supported.

That will be the rare exception. The sole reason for the SVN builds is to make users no longer depend on the spotty release schedule of the official versions.

Graf Zahl said:

That will be the rare exception. The sole reason for the SVN builds is to make users no longer depend on the spotty release schedule of the official versions.

Or in EE's case, replace spotty with non-existent x_x

Doomsday is in the same boat. Our last official new version release, Doomsday 1.9.0-beta5.1, was on January 24, 2007.

I stand corrected, then. I heard it was private and didn't invest too much effort in checking whether it was true or not, my bad.