Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TimeOfDeath

Inside the Deku Tree (Zelda remake)

Download: Inside the Deku Tree (ZDoom compatible)

This is a remake of the first dungeon in the N64 game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It requires something ZDoom compatible. Also, jumping and freelook are needed for a couple of parts. There are no new monsters or weapons or textures.

The gameplay part of the map is finished, but the map isn't 100% complete yet (no new music yet + some other stuff). I'm posting here to see what you guys think about the map and if you want anything changed.

Building the map was kinda fun. I had Zelda playing on an emulator on my laptop while I built the map on my desktop computer. I used the in-game map in Zelda to see the shape of the rooms and put a ruler up to the screen to find out approximate dimensions.

Some parts might be confusing if you haven't played the Zelda game, and some of the traps might not be very fair on a first play-through.

It wasn't bad, looked good, fun but annoying at times (those EFFING ARCHVILES! :p), it brought back memories of Ocarina of Time. It is certainly not a close remake to because there was no such slaughtering in Zelda! :p

Completed it in 30m 51sec on HMP difficulty, with plenty of save/loading. Even the end was hectic, I kinda expected a new monster to appear, like Queen Godhma except it would be quite challenging.

Fun, but the ending kinda sucked, like I was playing an endless game of Waves, built by a mapper obsessed with death of the player within 2 seconds or less.

Also, the constant archie traps got quite annoying after awhile.

Very creative map with excellent gameplay as usual. I IDDQD'd the first run (I often do on any new map) and since zdoom has no 180 degree turns, replaced that key with jump. I didn't need mouselook as far as I know (apparently shooting straight ahead can shoot a switch above you in zdoom). Everything was pretty intuitive and looks like the real run would be fun (I only have a vague recollection of the original ocarina level). Only hurdle of confusion was the water part (I didn't know it was water and just thought the floor was slow perhaps to emulate zelda mud or something- its probably less obvious to me because I had no mouselook). Perhaps the player could teleport maybe 16/32/64 pixels above the ground (if possible- that would make it obvious its water)? I particularly liked the end actually- really feels like a 'boss' fight.

edit: actually I played with 'actors infinitely tall' then turned that off half way through the map, so maybe that affected whether or not I needed mouselook, not sure.

gggmork said:

(apparently shooting straight ahead can shoot a switch above you in zdoom)

And in Vanilla. Gunfire lines are activated when a hitscan attack passes through them, even if the attack doesn't literally collide with a wall there.

gggmork said:

actually I played with 'actors infinitely tall' then turned that off half way through the map, so maybe that affected whether or not I needed mouselook, not sure.

Doubt it. That really just affects whether things can be above/below eachother. (ie. With it on, a demon at the base of a cliff below you can block your attempt to jump down.) Bullets and projectiles can go above and below monsters regardless of that setting.

Joshy - Yeah, when I started making the map I was gonna try to keep it as close as possible to Zelda with the number of monsters, but then added a couple extra.

Steeveeo - I see what you mean about the cliched ending. To speed that part up, you can keep killing the spiderdemons that spawn in the center (each spiderdemon spawns a new wave after it dies). I just stand with my back against a gray pillar, facing the center, and kill the spiderdemons (while killing any of the wave monsters that get in your face, and grabbing a sphere when needed). When the archviles spawn in (they're after the revenants), you can grab an invul sphere and then kill the last couple spiderdemons in the center, then kill the remaining monsters in the room with the last invul sphere.

gggmork - I'm not sure why turn180 isn't in the control options menu anymore, but you can type bind x turn180 in the console if you want. Yeah, sorry about the water. I haven't learned how to give it that blueish look when you're underwater like in other wads. I couldn't figure it out when I looked at the new Eternal Doom in Doom Builder (but I didn't look through the scripts yet). That'll be fixed for the finished version.

Here's a safe max demo in 16:13 (ZDoom 2.2.0).

I'll try to do a rough remake of the outside of the tree for the start of the map with a really short conversation (with the tree, like in Zelda) that you can initiate by pressing a switch (or you can just go in the tree without talking to it).

There are some slopes, but I'm a slope newbie so there aren't a lot. It was easier for me to make fake slopes in some of the rooms, and sometimes I like the look of fake slopes better than real slopes. I also had trouble making slopes over deep water.

My tea got cold while playing (read: 34 minutes with some save-loading on UV without having played Ocarina of Time).

Edit: In the plasma room, why not make those lines which teleport the monsters (knights and the archie) work only once? It's annoying to get the teleporting sound and animation every time you walk on that lift.

That annoys me too but I couldn't think of a way around it (actor hits floor things were used instead of walk over lines), until you posted - thanks. Fixxxed.

Hi, I played "Ocarina Of Time" and liked it. This is actually an interesting level. I haven't finished it yet, but it looks good so far, nice job!

Water temple would be strenuous to map, but the end result would be absolutely epic. I loved and hated playing the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time.

I would love to see Forest Temple remade, perhaps I should try making it for Zdoom, even though I despise mapping in Zdoom format..

Sorry for bump, but:

Doomworld link: dekutree.wad
Coop version: dekutreezdaemon_v2.wad

A bunch of coop bugs were fixed in dekutreezdaemon_v2.wad. Tested on ZDaemon with up to 4 players, respawn items and mega items, nice weapons, and optional infinite ammo. Don't use dekutree.wad for casual coop games because it mega sucks.

And yeah, I didn't try to remake the outside of the tree, but I'll try to do Dodongo's Cavern soon if I don't suck.