Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Games with the most Phenomenal soundtrack/music you ever heard?

Whats your pick of the most best phenomenal soundrack or music piece you ever heard in a computer/video game? here's my pick for example

and special mention goes to the soundtrack of Community is Fallen 3 and Hell Revealed 2 especially the Metal tracks...

any others?

Donkey Kong Country 2 (especially the bramble music <3)
Yoshi's Island
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (basically just a bunch of kick ass remixes from other games)
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Practically any Megaman game.

Those are all the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Edit: Forgot The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. The Hyrule Field music is just epic.

There are too many awesome songs that I enjoy from the Megaman, Castlevania, and Metroid series alone, so instead I am going to put some songs from some other games that I used to play :P.

Not all of the music in Cybernator was great, but I liked a few songs from it, too bad it doesn't play all of the music from the game in the video :P.

Almost all of the music in the Bomberman 64 games was good in a techno-y fasion.

There are others, but I am a bit too lazy to post them right now :P. (Besides I can't find the songs on youtube >:(.)

For sheer atmosphere, it has to be the Thief games. System Shock 2's soundtrack is awesome for the same reason, and it's no surprise that the same musician, Eric Brosius, created the music for all these games. Fallout 1 & 2, The Dig, and Half-life 2 also score very highly in this regards.

For cinematic epicness, I find the soundtracks of all the Ratchet & Clank games to be absolutely fantastic; in particular, Going Commando/Locked & Loaded. Jeremy Soule and Inon Zur's compositions are generally very good, too.

For pulse-pounding action, the Quake 2 soundtrack is probably still my favourite.

For pure fun & nostalgia, it must be the original Monkey Island soundtrack.

For music I'd be most likely to listen to in a non-gaming context, my vote goes to the soundtrack of the original Command & Conquer. There are plenty of awesome tracks in subsequent C&C games, but the first will forever remain a classic.

For most unusual soundtrack, I'll go with Discworld Noir. I doubt you'll hear anything quite like it outside an old black & white noir film. Outlaws is a close runner up.

NiGHTMARE said:

I find the soundtracks of all the Ratchet & Clank games to be absolutely fantastic.

JohnnyRancid said:

Oops I forgot to mention Contra: Shattered Soldier.

These!

Also, I'm fond of the Quake II soundtrack. It was very fitting and really set the mood for a serious ass-kicking. Doom 3 should have had a similar soundtrack, in my opinion.

I like the Doom soundtrack (obviously :P), but I also liked some of the music in Flatout 2.

brinks said:

Practically any Megaman game.

Same here.

Unreal (the original) had some awesome music, especially in the spaceship parts. I was a big fan of the Commodore 64, which had amazing sound for its time. This is hands-down the best track for the C64:

I personally liked the music from Freedom Fighters and Command and Conquer Red Alert 2. The music for the expansion pack kind of sucked though. Unreal had some epic music.

• Doom ;-)
  • One Must Fall 2097
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • Lotus III
  • Body Blows
  • Shadow of the Beast
  • Xenon II Megablast
  • Loom
  • Liquid Kids
  • Commando
  • Solomon's Key
  • Truxton/Tatsujin 1 & 2
  • Most King of Fighters games.
  • Warcraft II
  • Solar Winds

My favorite's Unreal Tournament. The Unreal Anthology comes with a soundtrack with some of the better songs from the game (CTF_Facing Worlds, CTF_LavaGiant, The DM training level, DM_Phobos, DM_Fractal, and my fav, DM_Liandri/Peak). Some of the songs were remade in UT3 as well.

Bucket said:

This is hands-down the best track for the C64:

Oh come on, even Tel himself made better tracks, like both Cybernoids for example.

The Spyro series has some pretty awesome compositions by Stewart Copeland (of The Police fame). They're even better when you hear them in the context of the respective levels, they really fit perfectly.

Mega Man X (one of my absolute favorites ever)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 6
SWAT Kats (the game was sub-par, but the music was really good)
Timesplitters 2
Road Rash
Brave Fencer Musashi
One Must Fall 2097
UN Squadron
Secret of Evermore
Metal Slug 2
Doom
Chrono Trigger

Just to throw some out there

Da Spadger said:

The Turrican 2 soundtrack stomps colons.

Damn, forgot to add that one. Then again, most Amiga games' soundtracks stomped major colon.

ALOT of games have good soundtracks, I'll just list some of my favorites. Unless specefied, I'm talking about the entire series in general.

-Devil May Cry
-Warcraft/Starcraft
-Unreal Tournament
-Unreal
-Final Fantasy 6
-Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis era only.)
-Mass Effect
-Command and Conquer (pre Generals)
-Descent
-Cave Story
-Half-Life 2
-Chrono Trigger

Funnily enough, Doom 3 has possibly my favorite incidental music. (from a couple of the cutscenes.)

The original Command and conquer had great music. With one of the original versions of the game, you actually got a separate CD with all the music on it. Used to have it somewhere.

As much as I don't like WOW and have never played it, some of the orchestral music there is pretty epic.

And of course, Doom 1 and 2.

Many good picks here, System Shock 2 and Quake 2 are two that really are great. Then there's also the C&C1 soundtrack.

But for best of all I think I have to say Syndicate. :) (though considering all the great game music out there, it's a bit of a coin toss)

There are a few really good ones. I think Mark Morgan is probably my favorite video game composer of all time, though Jeremy Soule and Nobouo Uemetsu are pretty awesome as well. My favorite soundtracks are...

Fallout 1&2 (Mark Morgan)
Planescape: Torment (Mark Morgan)
Descent 2 (Mark Morgan, ohGr, Type O Negative, and some others)
Total Annihilation (Jeremy Soule)
Diablo 1&2 (Matt Ulemen)
Quake II (Sonic Mayhem)
Final Fantasy VI (Nobuo Uemetsu)
Chrono Trigger (Nobuo Uemetsu)
Icewind Dale (Jeremy Soule)
Emperor: Battle for Dune (Frank Klepacki..I think he also did Dune 2000 and maybe Dune 2)
Rome: Total War (Jeff van Dyck)
Medieval: Total War (Jeff van Dyck)
Deus Ex (??)

I rarely use the internal music from any game (my stereo or the game's ambient sounds usually get the nod), the notable exception is Unreal due to the sheer atmosphere of the tunes (as a result I like the 80's style ambient/demostyle type tunes). Others include the classic Sonic and Streets of Rage series (megadrive), Swiv 3D's goa soundtrack and the Quake 1 mission packs (including Malice).