Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PhilibusMo

Circles in Doombuilder

Is there any way to quickly and easily create a circular room of any size using Doombuilder? I need two circular room, but circles (obviously not real circles but circles by doom's standards) I find really hard to make and was wondering if there is a way of making them that is easier than freehand.

If you use DoomBuilder there is a function that will curve a line. so you could take a rectangle and curve two of the sides, which will give you an approximate circle. Though even easier, when you actually first place a sector, instead of giving that sector the default 4 vertices, (to make a square,) you could give it, say 32 or 64 (or any number) of vertices, which will come out very circular.

:)

[edit] Sorry, you do use Doombuilder. Somehow missed that bit in the title.

THis is how you do it:
1. Draw a rectangular room.
2. Select parrarel sides of the rectangle.
3. Press "Curve Linedefs" button (A green curved line, far to left), be sure that linedefs are pointing outside, then fiddle with settings.
4.Press OK.
5.Change to vetrex mode, grab the first vetrex and move it to parrarel one so it will make a circle.

And that's all.

Why are you guys only telling him the hard way? Just press Ctrl-Insert, enter a high number of vertexes and a large radius.

Creaphis said:

Why are you guys only telling him the hard way? Just press Ctrl-Insert, enter a high number of vertexes and a large radius.

Great !!! You made my Xmas :D

Kyka said:

Though even easier, when you actually first place a sector, instead of giving that sector the default 4 vertices, (to make a square,) you could give it, say 32 or 64 (or any number) of vertices, which will come out very circular.

Creaphis said:

And untick "Snap vertices to the grid".

GreyGhost said:

And untick "Snap vertices to the grid".

True

...Though I usually just set the grid size small enough that it doesn't matter. If "snap vertices to grid" is unticked, it just snaps to a grid of one unit anyway doesn't it?. I guess it has to.

Though you do get some intereseting geometric shapes if you set the grid size to like 32 or 64 and then insert a sector with a pile of vertices.

'Course, those shapes won't be very circular.

Kyka said:

Well, you didn't mention the specific key combination, which is likely the part that the original poster didn't know about.

AgentSpork said:

I draw circles/curves manually because they're a pain in the ass to manage otherwise. :D

Related to this, I don't like to automatically make circles/curves with a high vertex count because, next to everything else I make, the smoothness just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, I think anything smoother than, say, this just borders on absurdity. Plus it makes editing a pain since in order to work with ultra-smooth curves you'd have to change to submicroscopic grid sizes.

Plus making a circle like this is easy as hell once you get the hang of it.

I am terrible at making curves and circles by hand, but it's still easier for me to manage that way.

AgentSpork said:

Plus making a circle like this is easy as hell once you get the hang of it.

That's not a circle, though I like it because it reminds me of old Doom.

printz said:

That's not a circle, though I like it because it reminds me of old Doom.

Technically speaking it's a regular hexadecagon, but really, I can't think of any circumstances where anything closer to a circle is needed in a game like this (unless of course you enjoy lingering on or crossing the border of absurdity).

Creaphis said:

Shift-Right Click works as well