Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

On Vista

DB works fine for me on Windows Vista - bar a few missing .dll's I had to copy over from my XP machine. The only problem I have at the moment is 3D mode. I seem to be missing a very specific version of DirectX - right now I can't even configure the 3D mode options because of this missing DirectX.

"Could not initialize DirectX to enumerate display modes. Please verify that you have the latest version of DirectX installed and that your video card and video drivers support DirectX."

Quite clearly I need a more complete version of DirectX on my PC (that means more than two XP dll files :P). I've had a quick scour over Microsoft's download page and installed this, but I appears to have made no difference.

It's late and I'm tired so I have no idea what I'm doing, forgive me for my utter ignorance on the subject. :/

Try using regsrv32 with the DLLs, I had to do this before 3D mode worked

EDIT: type this in the command prompt

regsrv32 C:\Windows\System32\dx8vb.dll

I dl'ed the zip and ran the 3DMode.bat (if thats the file your talking of), and it comes with a "Access is Denied, 0 Files Copied, regsrv32 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"...

What could be the problem?

Make sure you extracted all the files first and that you are an administrator, then run 3dmode.bat. But download this one because I made a few typos I didn't realise (I was supposed to put regsvr32 but put regsrv32)
Download fix

Doomguy0505 said:

Make sure you extracted all the files first and that you are an administrator, then run 3dmode.bat. But download this one because I made a few typos I didn't realise (I was supposed to put regsvr32 but put regsrv32)
Download fix

I downloaded your new link and... Well, it got closer but now it's saying "The module 'C:\Windows\System32\dx8vb.dll' failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependant .dll files. The specified Module could not be found. "

Will this help?
HP Pavilion
64-Bit OS
6gb RAM
(not going to list processor and everything else...)

Is this error in Doom Builder or the file I uploaded?

Maybe you should run this file and see if any required files are missing

If the error is in the 3Dmode.bat then right click on the file, choose Edit, this should open up notepad. Edit -> Select All and then Edit -> Delete, and then paste this into there

@echo off
echo Doom Builder 3D Mode for Vista
echo.
if not exist "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dx8vb.dll" copy dx8vb.dll C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dx8vb.dll
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dx8vb.dll
echo Press any key to close the window
pause > nul
File -> Save, close notepad and then run the file again

It was the 3DMode.batch file, I tried the code, still says the same...

I'll edit this post about the missing .dll thing

-EDIT-
Ding ding ding... We found our problems! I know I have the mscomctl.ocx, I might put that in the system32 folder as that below says.

The following files were missing:
C:\Windows\system32\msvbvm60.dll
C:\Windows\System32\GDIPlus.tlb
C:\Windows\System32\cmcs21.oca
C:\Windows\System32\cmcs21.ocx
C:\Windows\System32\mscomctl.ocx

Still giving same thing on 3DMode.bat ir whatev, would making my old Acer (32-bit OS) into a VirtualMachine or "Windows Xp" ?

On another forum i've been pondering with the technical guys and most popped up is Installin Xp. I haven't done so yet cause I think there might be some... Technical difficulties, but thats from me, not so in-depth with alot of technology.

My Acer just to tell you- allows DB to run, BUT, it always has the Runtime error and what not, I have it configured where:

Compatibility- Set to Windows Xp (Sp2)
The necessarry .dll's, 3D mode works.

But it's after been 10 or so save and checks and what not, it Runtimes... So the Xp Install seems best bet since I had no trouble.