Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J-selva

Annoying pop-up on these boards

Has anyone been getting this: Every single page I go to on this board, some pop-up appears twice. It's really annoying and it happens even when I click back or forward. Is there any way to disable this?

I tried searching the board to see if this wasn't already posted, but it keeps asking me to log in everytime I make a search.

This is a typical complaint from all new users, but since you actually took the time to try to use the search feature, I will help you out.

If you are using Windows, navigate to the following folder in Explorer:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Look for a file called "hosts".

Open the file in Notepad by using right-click + Open and choosing the option to find your own program for opening the file (Notepad should appear in the resulting list of programs, but if not, you can find it).

Below any existing contents of the file, add this:

mediamgr.ugo.com 127.0.0.1

Save the file and close notepad. This is going to route any traffic from your machine to that destination back to your own machine, causing it to go to oblivion. It may take a moment for the new hosts list to be loaded, so try closing and reopening your web browser before testing it out.

A far easier alternative to dicking around with the hosts file is to just install AdBlock plus which will block the Doomworld ads and ads on any other websites you visit.

Is this topic not in the FAQ already?

MasterOFDeath said:

It's not. I second this idea.

Yeah let's put in the official forum help methods to bypass revenue generation for our host who gives us space and bandwidth for free. That sounds like a great idea.

Bloodshedder said:

Yeah let's put in the official forum help methods to bypass revenue generation for our host who gives us space and bandwidth for free. That sounds like a great idea.

While this is true, certain popups practically hijack the forums by impeding use of buttons and links, even after being closed down. The snowboard one was particularly bad in that respect.

Maes, such issues have occurred before. The solution is to report the issue to AtomicGamer.

Bloodshedder said:

This issue occurred to me. I'm going to keep using Adblock Plus, but the rest of you should install spyware on your computers to sate our gracious hosts.

OK, I had to do the hostfiles trick because it became almost fucking impossible to use the forums, especially posting (and I got tired of tabbing my way to the correct button/field). This never happened with other popups, which at least had a proper "close" function.

Alboroto said:

I use mozilla firefox and google crome, and I've never had any pop up crap.

Some (very few) times I didn't get any popups too here on doomworld, but I think that has more to do with server load/cookies than anything.

The kind of popups that open a new browser window are indeed very rare as most of them are caught by Firefox, but the occasional one manages to escape.

Doomworld uses Flash popups however, and I can't imagine how these can be blocked without also blocking ALL Flash and Javascript in a page.

Maes said:
Doomworld uses Flash popups however, and I can't imagine how these can be blocked without also blocking ALL Flash and Javascript in a page.

Flash and Javascript work fine. The plug-in has a list of specific stuff it affects (which is regularly updated), including domains and functions.

Is this topic not in the FAQ already?

That wouldn't be in the best interest of Doomworld, though. If they give a workaround, UGO could give them the ax, because UGO needs the revenue.

Nothing wrong with 3'rd parties giving their answers.

I hate those things as well, but it seems UGO is in need of $$$. They took the annoying route.

myk said:

Maes, such issues have occurred before. The solution is to report the issue to AtomicGamer.

Funny you should mention that because I remember an issue a while ago in which people would randomly be redirected to the atomic gamer website when they clicked a link. While I agree with Blood Shedder that it'd be pretty stupid to put something in the FAQ that would explain how to block the pop ups, I still think that a lot of them, such as the snow board one, are just plain bullshit. Normally I don't mind pop ups, but when they start screwing around with the forum and make browsing a real pain, then that's just crossing the line. What exactly is this supposed to accomplish anyway? It just makes the company who are doing the ads look like total assholes.

I was typing something. But then I was told that I must buy a movie I've never heard of. That's cool. About as cool as Winfixer was when those ads showed up here in 2005.

It's a movie about evil demon infested mirrors killing people.

I don't really care what it's about or how good it is as now that it has annoyed me by popping up on every single page I am going to make sure that I never buy it and will disuade people I know from buying it.

Amen. I wouldn't have actively searched for this thread and added that site to the block list if the ads hadn't been completely ridiculous.

It might be okay at once per session or something, but every page view wtf.

Yes. This ad is fucking ridiculous. Every. Goddamn. Page view.

There really ought to be some kind of policy against selling flash ads on the forums that lay on top of what you're trying to click on.

If Privoxy doesn't crunch them, they're not in the hosts file (courtesy of Spybot-S&D) and manage to sidestep the pop-up blocker - there's always NoScript. Opera users have access to a decent content blocker that can supplement other solutions. Unless you're using someone else's computer there's no excuse for pop-ups.

For some reason, the fact that the ad follows me as I scroll really gets to me. :\\\

Bloodshedder said:

Then again, Bloodshedder does make a good point.

Edit: I've heard that the movie is similar to "The Grudge". heh