Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J-selva

Annoying pop-up on these boards

purist said:

He meant the close button on the ad is only just visible - being black on top of a dark background.

Oh, okay.

I don't even see it at all. God bless very poor contrast ratios and color continuity on my laptop. :)

Banner's are one thing. these ads like that one for the Mirror are annoying and drives away people.

Maes said:

As soon as somebody builds a better mousetrap, somebody else will build a better mouse.

<rant=deranged>
Too true - there are hundreds of medical research labs dedicated to the goal of breeding the ultimate rodent. They say it's unintentional, that they're attempting to cure human diseases and advance medical science but we know better than to trust mad scientist's who want to play god.
</rant>

there have been like fifty billion threads (at least) about this. pop-ups are inconvenient. end of story.

GreyGhost said:

<rant=deranged>
Too true - there are hundreds of medical research labs dedicated to the goal of breeding the ultimate rodent. They say it's unintentional, that they're attempting to cure human diseases and advance medical science but we know better than to trust mad scientist's who want to play god.
</rant>

Or maybe they're trying to build the ultimate food source. It's probably easier and more cost effective to breed rats that are disease and cancer resistant than cows with the same properties. Plus with rats you get around 15 new rats with every breeding cycle, and they can do it every month or so. Hmmm, I may need to start stealing rats from science facilities and breeding them for the coming global breakdown. Just keep them in sanitary conditions and you've got a quickly replenishing species of super food. Sneaky scientists.

glaber said:

Banner's are one thing. these ads like that one for the Mirror are annoying and drives away people.

Pfff... it didnt stop me.

A few sites have been seeping through my Opera software lately. All of which are sex related dating sites.

Ah man I need the pipes cleaned.

Ok, now there's a pop-up ad related to Mirrors that shows up in the middle of the screen, and it clearly shows a grotesque video of a 20-something year old woman ripping her jaw off.

This is unacceptable.

They actually blocked Doomworld at our school because of that pop up ad. Seems someone managed to stumble upon DW in the computer lab. The pop up appeared and they were so "offended" (The person said that word and it always pisses me off when people use it) that they demanded that Doomworld be blocked so that nobody else would stumble across it.

doomworld.com was blocked at my school. It's "Games" filtered. I'm surprised someone else in my school was surfing it. Somehow ebaumsworld isn't blocked yet though.

Csonicgo said:

Ok, now there's a pop-up ad related to Mirrors that shows up in the middle of the screen, and it clearly shows a grotesque video of a 20-something year old woman ripping her jaw off.

This is unacceptable.

That part is AWESOME!

I'm amazed it took that long for doomworld to be blocked at your school Johnnyransom. I took a web design class in highschool in 2001, and they ended up blocking newgrounds because of us. Something about games featuring shooting people they didn't like. Honestly though, if the teacher hadn't given up teaching html halfway through and used a generic AOL page builder to have us make our own pages the class might not have been boring enough to require newgrounds.

I aggree with Jello, that I'm surprised you were allowed to view an FPS site on school property, being that most schools adopt a Zero-Tollerance policy on anything gun/weapon related.

I'd suggest doing all you non-FPS related surfing in school, and to the rest at home. More free time at home!

That reminds me, in that same web design class I actually made a page about Doom. It had pictures of all the enemies and firearms and a description of them, as well as a summary of Doom and all the advantages of Jdoom. I'm kind of amazed I didn't get in trouble for it, considering the whole Columbine thing had already happened at that point, but the teacher was an alcoholic pseudo-playboy who knew nothing about computers and I doubt he even looked at our final website. Still doesn't beat the programming class taught by a 60 year old woman who knew even less about computers, she was doing a lecture about how half the class was failing and I did the classic Fonzi double thumbs up and the "Ayyyy". I hope to God teachers at this point know slightly more about computers.

At least your computers worked.
In my H.S. programming class (dating me, that was around 1990), the mainframe which held all the applications for our DOS-based machines, never worked, always overheating. Most of the classes was just plaing games like Tetris.

I'm amazed that you were actually using DOS on your computers back in 1990, we used MACs for the most part until I graduated in 04, with the few exceptions of a computer lab and my programming and web design classes. But I'll always have those fond memories of playing Odell Lake and Oregeon Trail on the green and black MACs, and naming my characters fart and poop. Poop died from dysentery, and Fart died trying to ford the river. But that was circa 1992. I would imagine in a high school class at that point they would use an OS that could actually do something, aside from doing nothing like the MAC OS's up to that point. However I would imagine any teachers at that point would know what to do with them in the first place.

Makes sense, I was just surprised to hear of a school using a non-MAC computer at that point. I've always preferred DOS anyway, and it's part of the reason I didn't switch to XP until 2005.

Jello said:

I'm amazed that you were actually using DOS on your computers back in 1990, we used MACs for the most part until I graduated in 04, with the few exceptions of a computer lab and my programming and web design classes. But I'll always have those fond memories of playing Odell Lake and Oregeon Trail on the green and black MACs, and naming my characters fart and poop. Poop died from dysentery, and Fart died trying to ford the river. But that was circa 1992. I would imagine in a high school class at that point they would use an OS that could actually do something, aside from doing nothing like the MAC OS's up to that point. However I would imagine any teachers at that point would know what to do with them in the first place.

Actually, in the Trade School part of the building, in their Graphic Arts department, they did use MACs, after getting rid of the ancient photo labequipment.
I guess because most buisnesses used PC's, they assumed the PC was the way to go, and they were right. PC's grossly overpower the MAC in the market, but as for which is better, I can't say. The world is PC-driven, and that's what colleges and workplaces went with (at least, where I went, outside of a few lonely MAC stations, which were replaced with PC's).

Georgef551 said:

I aggree with Jello, that I'm surprised you were allowed to view an FPS site on school property, being that most schools adopt a Zero-Tollerance policy on anything gun/weapon related.

So viewing FPS sites on Army computers gives a whole new meaning to "fitting right in".

I guess that depends on which branch of the military you're in. Could be useful as an orientation tool in basic training to help recruits identify friend from foe before issuing them with rifles - deathmatching might have to be banned. OTOH - military intelligence mightn't realise that FPS's are only games and start drawing up contingency plans for an invasion from Hell.

Actually, playing the COD series will help people from shooting friends. When you do, you're killed, and you're told you were killed because of "...dereliction of duty."
Of course, if we just surround our troops with invincibility cloaks, we'll be fine. :)

I usually avoid game site just for that purpose, Ling. They usually are terrible, filled with immature punks, and clueless/absent admins.