Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
purist

Fleshy Textures

Hello, can anyone point me in the direction of some good fleshy custom textures for use in my .WAD.

In particular, I'm looking for a midtexture that looks like SKIN2 or SKSNAKE with holes in (or similar). Would save me the effort of making it myself and would likely be better quality than anything I could knock up.

I found some fleshy stuff in Ogro by FrançoisX Delmotte, but precious little else.

If anyone else can find a flesh midtexture (as previously described) let me know. Meanwhile, I'll fire up MSPAINT.

I agree with the need for more of these - unfortunately, a good flesh texture is significantly harder to make than a good brick texture.

WIP. You're right Creaphis, it is difficult to make it look good! Here is my first attempt at texture modding. A wider, ahem, gape and more gooey strands might make this look reasonable.

I'll work more tommorrow perhaps.

I remember reading in The Masters of Doom that they took pictures of a scab that Tom Hall had and used it as a texture in the game. I suppose that's where some of the fleshy skin textures came from.

I haven't really done much skin/flesh stuff. Here are two attempts I made a while back:

I dunno how well they'd work alongside the original Doom/Doom2 ones, though.

esselfortium said:

I haven't really done much skin/flesh stuff. Here are two attempts I made a while back:

See, for me this confirms how hard it is to make something that looks like flesh. The top texture could be interpreted as another wavy blood pool and the bottom is a bit like pink gravel. No offense Essel, it's just really difficult to do - especially from scratch. I imagine that id will have used photos or high-quality concept art as a base in most cases.

purist said:

WIP.

That could have been useful in KS map 30...

WIP update:

If Creaphis still thinks this look vaginal I pity the poor guy! I think this version looks better, although it now looks big enough to fit through, which defeats the original purpose.

I've got a new problem: I'm not used to making textures so I'm not sure how to add it to my .WAD. I created a texture pack and added this, along with some other custom textures, to it using XWE. I put the markers in and went into map options on Doombuilder to add my custom texture pack. I then got a warning saying something like: "lump for patch MIDFLESH not found". I can select the texture in Doombuilder but it won't show in ZDoom. Can anyone help?

Creaphis said:

See, for me this confirms how hard it is to make something that looks like flesh. The top texture could be interpreted as another wavy blood pool and the bottom is a bit like pink gravel. No offense Essel, it's just really difficult to do - especially from scratch. I imagine that id will have used photos or high-quality concept art as a base in most cases.

Yeah, no offense taken. I was definitely aiming for something gooey with the top one, though; something that'd be used on lumpy/curvy sloped surfaces and that you'd expect to make squishy noises if you stepped in it.

esselfortium said:

I was definitely aiming for something gooey with the top one, though; something that'd be used on lumpy/curvy sloped surfaces and that you'd expect to make squishy noises if you stepped in it.

Hey, that could work. I like it.

Purist: Texture questions come up pretty often around here, so I'll just link you to a recent thread. Hope it helps.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/44935-texture-wad/

purist said:

If Creaphis still thinks this look vaginal I pity the poor guy!

Well, it looks like it's had a few rockets fired into it...

If you're using TEXTURE1 and PNAMES, you'll want to be using PP_START/PP_END (or is it P_END? I always forget) markers instead of TX_START/TX_END.

Right. TX_START and TX_END markers are only understood by a few source ports. You could either change the name of your markers to make them fully vanilla compatible, or, if you're making your wad solely for ZDoom, you could probably just delete the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps from your pwad. ZDoom should be able to load textures without the help of those lumps as long as the relevant graphics are between TX_START and TX_END; I guess that the inclusion of PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps is confusing the engine.

The Aliens TC has some pretty good skin textures with holes in, though of course they're all green. I keep meaning to see what they look like recoloured.

Creaphis, Essel thanks for your help but I was being an idiot. I forgot to amend my batch file to run my texture pack with my map. Still, I've learnt something new.

Here's the new texture in-game.