Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dreams About Doom

I have dreams about Doom. Does anybody else get these?

Nothing really important happens. There's no dialogue or goal, I'm just sloshing around in guts and killing monsters. The detail is hi-def and I can even hear the guts squishing beneath my feet, but all the walls are pixelated like the Doom graphics and they take place in various Doom 2 levels.

Creaphis said:

Nobody else has ever dreamed about Doom. Have you considered therapy?

Not true, this thread subject has already appeared from time to time:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/41456-weird-doom-dreams/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/36707-ever-dream-of-playing-doom/

and I bet there are other occasions too.

In my case...yeah, I do dream about Doom. Ever since I started playing it, may I add. The first dreams were just wacky e.g. like my school being overrun by Barons of Hell, later dreams pitted me in levels with a complex Doom 2-ish architecture or marble-textured temples with spiral stairs, while others reminded me more of Doom in an urbanized (and way more realistic) setting.

Others were more disturbing and involved a dancing archvile following me around, and another one involved me killing archviles only to discover that they were bloody bandaged corpses upon closer inspection...

In any case, there were both dreams that looked exactly like Doom gameplay (only more immersive) and other where the situations in the dream ended resembling Doom, even if the setting wasn't appropriate.

I have only had a couple of dreams about Doom. I was killed by a Demon after about 5 minutes of walking around. Both times. :/

Now, there's something Doom-related I'd consider quite disturbing dreaming of:

I wonder if other people's Doom dreams focus on the pleasurable aspect of playing the game, the morbid and violent imagery and misery within the game, or if they're just plain silly.

The general rule of thumb is that nobody is really going to be affected by it; I mean, having a dream about one's lost parent might fuck someone up for the rest of the day, but anything about Doom is normally easily recovered, even if you die in some horrible fashion.

Perhaps the best dream I had that was doom-related was like a conversion between Real Life, Doom, and some bits of Warhammer 40k. It was like I had killed a Doom3-esque Hellknight with some fabled sword, only for him to come back to like as my bodyguard and personal servant; only to have him then bite the head off of my homeroom teacher and begin huffing kittens of which she somehow bled.

That therapy now looks even better than before...

I have had several vivid dreams about the game.

For me, the most recent dream was like playing Doom with a hightened sense of awareness, and being able to "feel" the game. It was a very uneasy feeling, but cool, and involved chainsawing imps. But my Doom dreams as I remember them only lasted a few seconds. It was likely I had these dreams from staying up too late playing the game.

Creaphis said:

Have you considered therapy?

If the dreams involve you sleepwalking around the house making shotgun noises, and pretending to chainsaw the refridgerator in your kitchen in the middle of the night, then by all means do as Creaphis suggested.

Doom's graphics are so pixelated, but they're so violent and gory that they have the power to give so many of it's players dreams. Now that's a fucking game.

Somehow, I don't see other violent games like Texas Chainsaw Massacre for Atari fucking with people's heads at night.

I've had a few dreams about Doom. But only one that I remember vividly. I remember being really scared and freaked out in the dream.

The scene... Huge green marble cavern type thing. (I remember huge square columns that had that big demonic face with the pentagram on it.)

The action... I had a rocket launcher. There were hordes of Pinkys coming towards me. (And there was this huge thing with a goat for a head... Like a Baron, but not a baron. Like something out of Warhammer 40k) I had already had several huge battles and this was the last one.

The result... The demons crowded around me. And I was thinking "If I fire my Rocket Launcher now, it will be ... not... good. But you know how in dreams, you kind of have this detached awareness where everything seems like its happening in slow motion. And you kind of know what to do, but everything has this horrible inevitability to it?

You can guess what happened next.

The next thing I remember was me waking up in a cold sweat.

From time to time I'll dream up an entire level. Some of them are really cool, too, but I never get around to actually trying to turn them into a map.

I have dreams about doom as well, i remember one really random one where all the enemies were replaced with invincible homsars (whose only attack was to yell out random non-sequiturs), the marine was strong bad, and the icon of sin was replaced with a giant horrible painting.
It was some weird crap.

I was dreaming that my parents were barons of hell and my sister(I don't have a sister) was an imp. I was told to go to my bed, but guess what, i had to sleep with an imp! She was in my bed, but anyways i went to bed and slept, and there was another, non-Doom related dream.

I mean that 80% of the level came from the dream, pretty much exactly and was really good gameplay whereas the 20% I added to try and extend it a little was rubbish.

What can you do to induce a Doom related dream? Play Doom all night until your sleepy and then go to sleep right away?

Dreadopp said:

I find that if I play the same game for a few days straight (on and off), then I usually have a dream about it.

Do you ever think about playing it in between?

TomoAlien said:

I was dreaming that my parents were barons of hell and my sister(I don't have a sister) was an imp. I was told to go to my bed, but guess what, i had to sleep with an imp! She was in my bed, but anyways i went to bed and slept, and there was another, non-Doom related dream.

Impse incest?

I doubt he meant it in that way (and if he does he should really see a trained proffesional about it) but it didn't half sound like that. made me chuckle.

Yeah, I've had a few Doom dreams in my life. I think my favorite one was when they installed "Virtual Doom" at the local arcade. The funny thing is that it was Doom with the original graphics and everything, but it felt like you were in the game. Also, you could play it multiplayer, which was something I had never done at that point. Man, that was a loooong time ago.

666442 said:

What can you do to induce a Doom related dream? Play Doom all night until your sleepy and then go to sleep right away?

If you think hard enough about the game before bed, maybe. Try running through a level over and over again in your head before dosing off.

It's perfectly normal to dream about Doom when after a long, focused session of Dooming. Also, if on cold, you can dream vividly about Doom. This is very good, because it means free inspiration for map editing.

Has anyone had Doom nightmares? I've never, heh.

printz said:

Has anyone had Doom nightmares? I've never, heh.

first time I played the demo as a child that 1993. :(

printz said:
Has anyone had Doom nightmares? I've never, heh. [/B]

I've had a couple, but it asks me if I want to wake up before the dream starts.