Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dreams About Doom

Can't say I've ever really dreamed about Doom. Although from time to time, I might daydream about a level concept.

I found the thread where I posted my first (and last) realistic doom dream. I didn't get up and start mapping for it, but I remember it pretty accurately. I'll copy and paste it here.

I had this amazing dream last night that was so involved that I was convinced it was true when I woke up this morning. It took me a few minutes to recall anything that happened last night then I remembered not even doing anything even close to those events.

Well sure enough, This was my first actual dream that included doom in it. Let alone that it was abnormally realistic. Basically this is what happened:

Basically I found out this epic feature that happens in doom that no one knew about, it was first noticed very recently, like within the week. I found it out in a youtube video and then looked it up on this very site later on. The video was of a 9-12 year old kid doing a recording of him playing doom and he was on MAP10 on doom 2 on UV encountering the cyberdemon at the end, when a new monster warped in to the scene, and started doing these crazy cheapass moves, like giant glass shields that block him from getting hit by your attacks, and other crazy attacks much like the hectebus from skulltag. He also had the ability to warp around the map, like d'sparil from heretic. The monster bled when the kid shot him with his SSG, but he got about 4 shots on him, didn't make a pain state, or even any soundfx other than his fireballs, and the monster warped up in front of his face.

I later realized that the monster's sprite was a direct rip from some hexen monster I never fought but saw before. (after I woke up)

When the monster was up to the players face, he threw a fireball that looked like a lost soul that was all red and about half size. It also tracked him like a revenant missile, except with sharper turns. He tried to run but the fireball hit him. As this was happening the kid on the video was screaming and slapping the screen because this event was happening so fast and he never saw it happen before (nor have I) When the fireball hit him, it didn't do any damage, instead the music changed to D_BUNNY and he was warped to a different map decorated with mostly brown textures. The doomguy face had a scared reaction that looked almost more scared than

this face. Apparently the doomguy had never seen anything like this either. The room had a close resembelence to that of a map slige would create. It was low but acceptable amount of detal and the rooms were very blocky. There was a monster in the room that looked like this:

Except it was red and didnt have any arms. It spat really fast blue fire balls, much like the cacolantern from skulltag. It could bite like a demon too. There were also a few other skulltag blood demons in the room though they were running faster. I think the lost soul fireball immediately switched the game to nightmare mode or something. Every fire ball and demon bite was about triple the damage it normally does. The kid that was playing was scared shitless and screaming at his computer. The video ended when the player died.

In my dream, I was appalled at this video, and found some kinda informational page on the newdoom website. (As of now I'm not even sure if one exists on this site) And looked this thing up. There I found that this monster is EXTREMELY rare that even hardcore doomers have yet to actually experience him, little is known about his attacks, but is supposedly extremely dangerous. He was only found during boss battles that include cyberdemon or mastermind spider encounters. Later that day (still in my dream) I decide that I want to beat the Inferno episode on Ultimate doom under Ultra Violence difficulty. I play through the whole thing until I get the E3M8. Sure enough, after blasting the spider demon half to death with a plasma gun, that super rare demon waprs in. Again pulling those cheap hectebus fireballs that no one can dodge unless he's more than 50 feet away. I shot a few rockets at him but he blocked him with his giant glass sheild that he spawns. He hid the sheild and I hit him a whole mess of times with the chaingun as he kept gliding around the map. The way he moved was slow and fast and unpredictable, It was a lot like the afrit from hexen, except slightly faster and on the ground. (The spider demon was still alive shooting me as this was all happening as well) The demon then did an archvile attack on me that I couldn't escape even after passing around corners. After he did the archvile attack, he warped close as hell to my face and threw a tiny red lost soul. I managed to dodge it, but it was like trying to dodge those tornadoes on heretic. They make incredible sharp turns and I coudn't run it into any walls. I must have been running backwards trying to lose it for at least 20 seconds. I eventually bumped into the spiderdemon because it takes up so much space and got hit.

I was warped into a place that looked like a Thy Flesh Consumed map. Sky was orange, lots of wood and marble. I forget what happened after that, I dont recall seeing any monsters or even dying for that matter. But i know I was scared as hell when it happened.

I never really felt like I ever had to make a thread about a dream before, but this one was so realistic that I could describe it this much and it was very doom related as well. I actually went to bed early that night and I hadn't ingested anything out of the ordinary before i went to bed. It was just a plain old kickass scary dream.

EDIT: oh yeah, I later on found out that the video of the kid playing doom in my dream was an extremely close resemblance to the kid in this video. http://youtube.com/watch?v=mFN-liGURPI Even though he was that scared slapping the screen and everything, he was miraculaously still able to play doom pretty well.

I have had a few. Nothing more then me running and gunning Doom monsters. But, I did have a odd dream where I sat down and had a long talk with Satan. Who looked like a Born of Hell mixed with a Baphomet.

Let's get to the bottom of this phenomenon.

Why Doom? Do you ever dream about other games?

For the record, Doom is the only game I've dreamt about probably because it's one of the only things I play.

By the way, playing Doom and thinking about it before going to bed did not force Doom into my dreams last night, so perhaps that whole idea is a myth.

What you dream about basically depends on which of your brain cells feel like twitching while you sleep, and it's essentially unpredictable. If you stuff your mind full of Doom during the day, then it's more likely that you'll dream about Doom but not nearly guaranteed, and, even if you do dream about Doom, it's more likely than not that you will not wake up during the REM period during which this dream is occurring and will therefore never realize you dreamed about Doom at all.

Hooray neuropsychology!

666442 said:

Why Doom? Do you ever dream about other games?

For the record, Doom is the only game I've dreamt about probably because it's one of the only things I play.

That's an interesting question. I've played a lot of games obsessively and that's a surefire way to get me to start dreaming about playing them (I always hate when my dreams are just what I did the day before or whatever), but the only games I've ever dreamed about BEING IN were Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and World of Warcraft. It probably has to do with the interactivity of the games. Since most of the rest of the games I play are turn-based strategy games which are kind of hard to picture yourself in, I guess that covers that. Still I've played Quake 2 almost as much as Doom and I don't remember having any dreams of that. And Wolfenstein I haven't really played too much, yet I had at least two very memorable dreams of it.

I clearly remember dreaming I was playing some sort of Doom/System Shock hybrid, except I was actually living in the halls of the Citadel space station and talking to Cacodemons about the flight records you could find around.

I often dream of games when I don't play them but hear a lot of inspiration about them. It's very likely that such dreams convince me to try those games again.