Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

texture stuff

The current ROCKRED doesn't tile properly, it doesn't fit in with SP_ROCK1 like it should, and the colours are all messed up. Bring back the old one! :)

The current METAL2-7 textures are good, but it somehow doesn't "fit in". Perhaps they're too different to the original Doom 2 textures. Bring back the old ones! :)

Also, BIGBRIK3 is supposed to be BIGBRIK1 with lights, but if you compare the two... see what I mean? Put in the new one! :)

The current METAL2-7 textures are good, but it somehow doesn't "fit in". Perhaps they're too different to the original Doom 2 textures. Bring back the old ones! :)

I think it's kind of lame to "recreate" the DOOM textures when we have a chance to actually improve on them...

No, what I mean is that while these textures would work excellently in, say, the Darkening E2, they just don't go with the other Freedoom textures.

There's just a weird kind of clash that both the original Doom 2 textures and my ones don't have.

See the start of Freedoom map16 to see what I mean.

Espi has textures based on those bricks (such as the bloody body brick walls), so changing them would involve quite a lot of work on his part.

Also, those computer and brown wall textures are yours, in case you forgot :)

Edit: actually, it seems Espi himself improved RW24_1-4, but for some reason Fraggle didn't include them. Fraggle, put them in damnit! :)

Place the textures in a better environment and you'll see.

Uh, I don't see what's wrong with my red rock? Yeah, there's a small seam where it should tile, but that's not unfixable.

Espi/Fredrik:

Yes, the original ones are quite crap. It's also very stupid that the news ones aren't in it, because like with BIGBRIK1 and BIGBRIK3, the brick textures and bloody body brick textures no longer go together.

Fredrik:

Well, personally I think there's a little bit too much black. Plus that dark brown colour - ick! =p

As I said in the first post, it should tile with SP_ROCK1, and as you can see from the following page, it doesn't.

And yes, I know my rockred textures are too bright.

http://haunt.8m.com/rockred.html

Nick I think you should push less to have your textures included when the existing ones only need fixes, and also the authors of the current ones are fully willing to repair the problems.

If you be patient, there will come a time when we have a good system in place to sort out multiple textures and improve on the ones we have.

For now, lets concentrate on getting 100% of resources at least replaced.

Hmm you're right <confused>... well, on inspection I do prefer the second screenshots textures to the third one (I presume the second one is the new ones, and the third your textures [although you could have labelled the images :P]).. but they shouldn't have been replaced.

Anyone want to own up? :P

My in-progress Freedoom midi's were also replaced by ones by Metabolist, but I don't mind if my stuff is replaced, as long as the replacements are better.

The real story behind this - I was going to start my little level for FreeDOOM, and when I commenced building the first room, I found that there were no really good textures to use... :P

I made some further improved brick walls, I already uploaded them to the FreeDoom ftp but since it'll probably take a while before they're built into the wad (if ever), I have them available right here.

Those look very good Espi, keep up the great work :)

I will try to re-make some more textures in the near future. Not as radically as the metal textures, probably just fix bluriness, surface bumps/grains and such.

I have some of my own textures to remake (eventually from scratch), but there are other people's work I'd like to fix too. Some just don't look good.

I hope no one finds a problem with this.

As I said, I don't have a problem with that. In fact, someone really needs to improve/re-do my WALL01x textures, they're horrible :)

However, perhaps you could e-mail the other people, let them know that you think their textures could be improved, and give them the chance to improve them themselves?

The average was longer, kinda like this one. And now 50 of them or so have been deleted anyway :P