Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karl Bough

Classical music Doom 1 levels

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I once had a set of add-on levels for Doom I which included a replacement for The Shores of Hell - nine new levels, each with a classical music soundtrack. On the 'New Game' option on the initial screen, it also had the name of this replacement episode (which I can't remember) in purple, non-Doom-style lettering, in place of 'The Shores of Hell'. However, I have been unable to find these add-ons (it has been years since I played them). Do these levels sound familiar to anyone, and are they available anywhere on the internet? Many thanks.

Funny enough, I remember the purple writing for that episode replacement. But I don't have much idea now which one it was.

Sorry that's not much help. But if anything comes to me...

Good luck with finding it.

Looking elsewhere on the Doomworld site, I found that there were some Classical Music wads, and they were the level soundtracks that I had in mind. However, they were soundtracks only - not the different levels that went with them. The thing I remember most about the replacement episode from when I last played it, was that the second level (E2M2) was huge - it was a giant square shaped level with a castle surrounded by a moat - and there was a large maze towards the end of the level. And on the fourth level, there was a large central room from which one had to take each of the four lifts in turn, and jump at the right time to get down to a door to another part of the level.

Map four sounds familiar. Going by the description the wad's probably a compilation of maps that were already in circulation. Few of them found their way into the archive though it might be in my collection.
Are we looking for a single episode replacement or a megawad?

EDIT - The closest match I've found so far is a 3-episode wadpack called "Yahoo.wad". Episode 2 - renamed Hades' House of Horrors(*) - has classical music with maps 3 and 5 possibly being what you're looking for. Here's a download link.

(*) - taken from this wad

Yes - Hades' House of Horrors sounds right! I was actually trying to think back, and thought it was something along those lines. Also, yes, I think it was part of a full 3-episode replacement - I seem to remember that Knee-Deep In The Dead and Inferno also had replacement levels.

Anyway, thanks very much - I think this is exactly what I am looking for!