Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Thing scramblers

There's this type of wad tool that didn't seem to live past the '94 Doom age. They were the precursors of random level generators like SLIGE. They couldn't create levels but were possibly very good at THING scrambling and randomization. Best of them seems to be Randoom.

Has anyone used this tool in the past when they got bored of default doom.wad, and then had fun with the dozens of Spiderdemons created in E3M6? And the spontaneous challenge created by this?

Too bad it didn't live enough, I don't know of any equivalent for Doom 2. It would be fun to experiment with MAP10: Refueling Base and see how to deal with randomly (but challenging) generated Arch-Viles and Spiderdemons, in the zombie alcoves, the slimy wardrobes, the dark halls.

Yeah... I remember it.

I seem to recall that they had worked out how to make bigger monsters not get stucked in walls when replacing smaller ones. But monsters would often get stucked in ceilings... say a baron replaced a zombieman in a room that was 64 units high, and the baron would get stuck.

Anyway, it was a lot of years ago. I remember thinking when I first saw it, "Awesome... a random monster generator" and being kinda disappointed with the results once I actually used it, and IIRC it was kinda buggy and used to cause the odd crash. So I never actually used it all that much.

It did work with episode 4, but I had to separate E1 to E3 from E4 into two wads, otherwise it did crash.

Odd there's nothing for Doom 2 or further.

you could make something like that for zdoom with some decorate & acs

Isle said:

you could make something like that for zdoom with some decorate & acs

Well, there's Aeons of Death already. But that doesn't have the retro quality that we're hoping to enjoy.

I have a shareware disk with some thing replacement wads for Doom 1 levels. I'm quite sure they aren't randomly generated, so these wads represent an actual human being's artistic vision. Adding to their charm is the fact that the wads consist of about 3 things tables and 4 conflicting reject tables per level. That's retro.

Creaphis said:

I have a shareware disk with some thing replacement wads for Doom 1 levels. I'm quite sure they aren't randomly generated, so these wads represent an actual human being's artistic vision. Adding to their charm is the fact that the wads consist of about 3 things tables and 4 conflicting reject tables per level. That's retro.

Some of these on D!Zone 150 (I think) also; look for a sequence of files beginning with 21.WAD.