Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xenaero

Custom HUDs (Zdoom)?

I've been trying to look for wads utilizing the ZDoom feature for creating unique HUDs, but I haven't really found many. Specifically, I'm trying to see if there's a PrBoom style HUD out there for ZDoom based ports. Does it exist? :(

I'm kind of surprised you're having such a hard time finding anything. Pretty much every time I see screenshots of an upcoming ZDoom project, it has some sort of (usually extremely cluttered, obtrusive, and hard to read) custom HUD. :P

Off topic: I don't know why people like the PrBoom HUD so much. There's too much information on the screen to make it easy to see your current stats without having to look around on the screen to find the right information. There's just too much information to look at. Doom's default HUD works because it uses big numbers for the important stuff (health, armor, current weapon's ammo) that you don't even really need to look at to be able to see your current status.

Based on what Xenaero asked me on AIM before posting this, I think he's not referring to the Boom HUD (which I agree is rather odd) but just to the Boom option to color the standard HUD's numbers to signify high, medium, and low amounts.

Let's not confuse HUD and status bar. DOOM doesn't use HUD information, except for the text at the top.

I like the boom status bar because it doesn't push the screen up, it's just letters and numbers over the game screen (not over a background), and cuz it's got a timer and kills/items/secrets counter.

esselfortium said:

Based on what Xenaero asked me on AIM before posting this, I think he's not referring to the Boom HUD (which I agree is rather odd) but just to the Boom option to color the standard HUD's numbers to signify high, medium, and low amounts.

Whoops, yep, my mistake. In Eternity, you have the option to make the hud a 'graphical' style which also uses the big, deliciously-colored numbers. I just thought this was pretty awesome and was hoping someone pulled it off using ZDoom coding.

It'd probably be pretty easy to code. I once made a custom hud in ZDoom and the text would change color if you were low on ammo or health. I don't know if more elegant ways of doing HUDs exists now (I had to manually check all of the current player statistics using a looping script), but it didn't take too much time to get going the way I did it.

I call that the fruit bowl status bar. When I see it on a screen shot I automatically facepalm.

The Boom guys may have been efficient and capable coders, but not exactly aesthetes.

The Boom HUD is actually decent compared to that clownish aberration.

AgentSpork said:

I don't know if more elegant ways of doing HUDs exists now (I had to manually check all of the current player statistics using a looping script), but it didn't take too much time to get going the way I did it.

You can do things like that with SBARINFO these days.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/SBARINFO