Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brandon D. Lade

Plutonia 2 - How good do you think it is?

What are your opinions of the quality of Plutonia 2?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What are your opinions of the quality of Plutonia 2?

• Best wad ever
    • Excellent
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Awful
    • Worst thing I`ve ever played

I have to go with Excelent here. Can't really vote for best ever as I'm sure this is not the last ever wad to be released.:)
Let's see, it's challenging, the music is very good most of the time, maps are very much playable, they look great too. Me personally, I didn't have so much fun since Vile Flesh. So yeah, excelent.

DeDo said:

Me personally, I didn't have so much fun since Vile Flesh. So yeah, excelent.

What is Vile Flesh? Never heard of any such wad. Is it a commercial release?

No, no. it's a megawad by Gwyn Williams. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12492
He had a web site for it but I can't find it anymore. I admit I didn't play many wads since it's release so I might have missed some very good ones but I play those that interest me somehow and there weren't many of those. But of those that were, Vile Flesh was the best one until now. For me anyway.

I just started playing the first maps. Looking good so far, except for one thing: The bright white sky clashes badly with the relatively dark levels. Something a bit darker might have been more suitable, I think.

I'm up to map13 now. Having a lot of fun, though I'm having to use the ol' save-and-reload quite a bit, and there's a ton of creativity evident in the maps.

I think it's excellent. I crapped out last night and stopped at Map10, but so far I'm loving every bit of it.

DeDo said:

No, no. it's a megawad by Gwyn Williams. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12492
He had a web site for it but I can't find it anymore. I admit I didn't play many wads since it's release so I might have missed some very good ones but I play those that interest me somehow and there weren't many of those. But of those that were, Vile Flesh was the best one until now. For me anyway.

Thanks for the link. But the release date - March 2004? I was playing Doom back then too. Must have missed it. Oh well, I see it got 4.5/5 on the Doomworld /idgames rating. So I have something to try after I'm done with PL2.

Well, seems as if most everyone likes it - only one person has voted less than "excellent" of about 15 so far. When this release appears in Doomworld /idgames in a day or so, what number of stars do you plan on giving it? I plan on 5.

Responding to the concern that more great wads will likely be released, could someone (a moderator) please change "Best wad ever" to "Best wad to date"? That would be appreciated.

I'm liking it! Voted "excellent." I've kind of gorged myself on it, though, so I'd best give it a rest for some days before getting back to it. (I'm at level 15.)

Voted excellent. I'm on Map22 right now. Probably play the rest tomorrow since I went through too much of it today already.

i rate it excellent. as i see, i got rusty, so i'm currently playing map05 on skill 3 to explore the world first. brown stone and wood, chaingunners in the worst places and revenants popping up when you want them least, welcome back. i've played through a lot of wads lately that gave me all that "seen it all already" feeling of being predictable and hence boring after a few maps. plutonia 2 is different, the maps keep offering something new. they're faithful to the original style, which i prefer it over the cleaner base style since it looks dark and rotten. oh, and no annoying music yet.
thanks guys.

I just noticed that the naming in Map17 is messed up. According to the MAPINFO/DeHACKED entry it's named "Mountain Doom" but the CWLIV graphic is "Nuclear Horror".

Yeah, that's my boo boo, along with Map03. It was a late change and I stupidly forgot to update the internal files (the graphics and external DEH are okay.)

Brandon D. Lade said:

Well, seems as if most everyone likes it - only one person has voted less than "excellent" of about 15 so far.

Typical exaggeration.

It's competently produced with quality levels and fun to play - but I still believe that 'excellence' demands something really special which I miss here.

But it is without a doubt one of the better 32 level megawads.

Brandon D. Lade said:

Who gave this "Worst thing I've ever played"? Was that just being silly?

Haha, probably someone with the brain of a Salamander or a Slug.

Mechadon said:

Map11 is amazing.

Yes one the best maps in the wad indeed. So scary!

A let down in my opinion but still pretty good. I was expecting a little more, cause the maps are quite big but not in the playing area. The game seems very cramped.

I guess I still haven't played through all of it, but from what I have, it seems like just what should be expected from something bearing the name "Plutonia." It, to me, really feels no more cramped than the original and everything thus far has fit right in with the Plutonia style.

Excellent. I found that the first few maps were pretty easy (for me anyway), but I am on map 19 right now and it is getting a bit harder.