Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Brandon D. Lade

The Best of 2008

What was the greatest new release of 2008?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What was the greatest new release of 2008?

• BGPA Missions
    • Chex Quest 3
    • Deus Vult II
    • Action Doom 2
    • Eternal Doom IV
    • Plutonia 2
    • Thunderpeak
    • Cold As Hell
    • Dark Resolution 2008
    • Flashback Demo 2

Well, this is my second poll today, but it is New Years so I hope that's okay. What do you think was 2008's finest Doom release? (If your absolute favorite is not in this list, choose your favorite release out of this list.) Also, please consider Plutonia 2 a 2008 release no matter where you live.

Butts said:

uhh....

cacowards?

zap610 said:

Somebody is overly enthusiastic...

Cacowards describes what is in one person the top 10 releases of the year. It does NOT reflect the entire public, nor does it say what the single best release of the year it. So I'm not overly enthusiastic - I just want everyone to cast their opinion and find out who the "winner" is. I'm surprised that I am the only one who has chosen PL2 so far, especially considering the reputation it has gotten in my other poll, but everyone has a right to their own opinion.

EDIT: I see so far that DVII and Action Doom 2 are tying for the winner, each with 4 votes. While PL2 is awesone, I will admit that both of those are kick*ss releases as well.

EDIT 2: Just saw another vote for PL2

If it's the public's opinion you seek - a quiet browse of the database's "top-rated wads with 25+ votes" turned up the following-

Zero Tolerance
Thunderpeak (50+)
BGPA Missions : Liberation
XXXI CyberSky
Zharkov Goes to the Store
Needs More Detail
Gravity (50+)
Axiom
32 Inch Nails (50+)
Evil Journey - Plan "A" (100+)
Community is Falling 3 (50+)
Deus Vult II (100+)
Urban Brawl - Action DooM 2 (50+)
Eternal DOOM IV: Return from Oblivion (50+)
Doomguy's pimp ventures III: Cybie Dreams (75+)

I'm a little surprised not to see "simplicity" on that list somewhere...

That's because it is older than 2008.

My favorites:

BGPA missions for new release
CaH for re-release

GreyGhost said:

If it's the public's opinion you seek - a quiet browse of the database's "top-rated wads with 25+ votes" turned up the following-

Zero Tolerance
Thunderpeak (50+)
BGPA Missions : Liberation
XXXI CyberSky
Zharkov Goes to the Store
Needs More Detail
Gravity (50+)
Axiom
32 Inch Nails (50+)
Evil Journey - Plan "A" (100+)
Community is Falling 3 (50+)
Deus Vult II (100+)
Urban Brawl - Action DooM 2 (50+)
Eternal DOOM IV: Return from Oblivion (50+)
Doomguy's pimp ventures III: Cybie Dreams (75+)

These are good, but they don't offer information on which is THE BEST.

That's because "THE BEST" is much, much more subjective than "among the best".

There's no clear definition of "the best", even the awards are based on a few people's opinions of the wads just like anyone's post in a "best of" thread is based on their opinion of the wads. And polls don't work as they can't list them all.

(ps. Remain III, Cybersky and History of Fruit are all missing from said poll)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

(ps. Remain III, Cybersky and History of Fruit are all missing from said poll)

I chose 10 wads I thought were among the top. I am not able to post more than 10 choices. Also, History of Fruit is for Heretic. This thread considers Doom wads ONLY.

Regarding Remain III, it is clearly not nearly as good as Remain I from 2007, so I didn't include it. I have never even heard of Cybersky.

Brandon D. Lade said:

These are good, but they don't offer information on which is THE BEST.

That depends on how you define "The Best". So far as the database review system is concerned "The Best" is the wad with the highest star-rating and enough votes for that rating to be considered credible. Working on that basis, my list could be trimmed down to Zero Tolerance, Thunderpeak or Evil Journey - Plan "A".

The Ultimate DooMer said:

There's no clear definition of "the best", even the awards are based on a few people's opinions of the wads just like anyone's post in a "best of" thread is based on their opinion of the wads. And polls don't work as they can't list them all.

I know that polls can only list 10 and there are probably more. So I just chose 10 that I think were all good contenders. And I understand that there is no clear meaning is "the best" - it is not a fact. I just want people's opinions. When enough opinions are cast, the overall opinion (which is currently favoring DVII to be the winner) can provide a better picture.

GreyGhost said:

That depends on how you define "The Best". So far as the database review system is concerned "The Best" is the wad with the highest star-rating and enough votes for that rating to be considered credible. Working on that basis, my list could be trimmed down to Zero Tolerance, Thunderpeak or Evil Journey - Plan "A".

Where are links to Zero Tolerance and Evil Journey? I've never heard of them. Also, if they are one-map wads, I tried only to include wads with more than one map. I just don't see how a wad could be the best of the year when it has merely one map. And weapons/sounds only mods(no maps) are clearly off limits for this vote.

EDIT: I looked both Zero Tolerance and Evil Journey up myself. Evil journey looks good, with 5 maps, although I'm not sure it is among the best, though with the high /idgames rating maybe is should have included it. Zero Tolerance has no maps and therefore may not be a subject or choice of this vote, no matter how good the weapons/sounds are. I personally am no fan of wads with no maps - I feel they are pointless except for being used as a basis to build your own wads.

GreyGhost said:

Agree. First post should contains all 25+ (or mayby 50+) 4+ wads of 2008. Just them. Otherwise this polling has no sense

entryway said:

Agree. First post should contains all 25+ (or mayby 50+) 4+ wads of 2008. Just them.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Could you please explain yourself better?

Brandon D. Lade said:

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Could you please explain yourself better?

List with pwads for voting should not contains only pwads you like. It should consist of all pwads from 2008 which have more than 50 voices in Archive and an average estimation more or equal to 4

entryway said:

List with pwads for voting should not contains only pwads you like. It should consist of all pwads from 2008 which have more than 50 voices in Archive and an average estimation more or equal to 4

I see your point, and agree somewhat. However, sometimes a wad I don't even think is all that good has a very high rating with a large number of votes, and some of them may be wads with no new maps or only one map, which I have restricted out of the poll for reasons mentioned by me earlier in this thread.

Brandon D. Lade said:

I don't even think is all that good has a very high rating with a large number of votes

So you know better than people? And what you want to ask then? Just the best PWAD from your unsensable choice?

entryway said:

So you know better than people? And what you want to ask then? Just the best PWAD from your unsensable choice?

Sorry, didn't mean to come off that way. I don't think I know better than other people. I probably should have just posted this as a question rather than a poll to eliminate the limitation of 10 choices.

DVII for sure.
This WAD will make people evolve to be "Homo Sapiens Double-Assus" !!

Know why ?...

... Because for such kicking ass WAD your need a pair of ass to feel enough the effect of playing it :D