Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Flash Doom Parody

It makes me want to see Doom turned into a King's Quest-style adventure, but aside from that I didn't find it very interesting.

That would mean adding hundreds more ways of dying - could be done. I wasn't quick enough on the spacebar. :(

Hellbent said:

requires latest version of Adobe Flash Player

Probably not, Damnation has been around longer than most Flash sites. I remember being a huge fan of it, but I don't want to play it again, fearing that it might destory the nostalgia goggles.

Yeah that spacebar part is impossible. I just about broke my hand trying to beat it.

One DOOM parody to rule them all.

JohnnyRancid said:

Yeah that spacebar part is impossible. I just about broke my hand trying to beat it.

Aww...aren't there any g4m3rz fux0rz ov3rcl0x0rz keyboards with auto-firing keys around?

JohnnyRancid said:

If you set your keyboard repeat rate high enough, you can just hold space down for a second until your power reaches 99%, this worked for me. But you have to release it shortly before reaching the top and then start tapping, otherwise this "cheat" will not work. Very easy.

I liked the gunfight in the nukeage room, this was more fun than the real one in E1M1.

Doc Faust

Who decided that speed-button-tapping makes a good gameplay mechanic? It's almost forgivable in amateur flash games, but it keeps turning up in professional, big-budget games too...

Creaphis said:

Who decided that speed-button-tapping makes a good gameplay mechanic? It's almost forgivable in amateur flash games, but it keeps turning up in professional, big-budget games too...

Ah this new generation...once it was commonplace, especially in "sports" games (Daley Thomson's Decathlon, anyone?) probably because it was regarded as a good abstraction of the physical effort that would be present in real sports. It was present in Summer and Winter games by Accolade in 1992, and even made its way in mid-90s 3D arcade sports games (the one about Atlanta 1996, noticeably), along with joystick waggling. At least you can defeat button-mashing with an autofiring joystick!

This "virtualization" of effort was also present in ecchi/hentai arcade games ("Gals Panic" and "Gonda the Diver" mini-games etc.)

Some of my least favourite games were joystick wagglers, fortunately there's the old trick of up-ending the stick and shaking it like a rattle.

GreyGhost said:

Some of my least favourite games were joystick wagglers, fortunately there's the old trick of up-ending the stick and shaking it like a rattle.

Good way to break it .. but any stick you can do this with was probabally garbage to begin with.

Button mashing QT events are garbage too, just get an autofire controller and it's completely broken.

Maes said:

Ah this new generation...once it was commonplace, especially in "sports" games (Daley Thomson's Decathlon, anyone?) probably because it was regarded as a good abstraction of the physical effort that would be present in real sports. It was present in Summer and Winter games by Accolade in 1992, and even made its way in mid-90s 3D arcade sports games (the one about Atlanta 1996, noticeably), along with joystick waggling. At least you can defeat button-mashing with an autofiring joystick!

It's older than that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_&_Field_(arcade_game)

Doctor Faust said:

But you have to release it shortly before reaching the top and then start tapping, otherwise this "cheat" will not work. Very easy.

I didn't experience that.

You don't need to tap at the part where zombieman chokes you, you can hold it. And i don't think it's a parody, it's a little Flash game.

udderdude said:

Good way to break it .. but any stick you can do this with was probabally garbage to begin with.

This was in the days before force-feedback joysticks. A lot of them were rubbish - fragile shafts, membrane switches and hard rubber feet - for a waggle game you were better off using them as rattles, they lasted longer that way.