Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReFracture

Dehacks; Level names

Not sure if many of you would care for this, but what the hell.

For some reason it really bugs me when the map names aren't changed in a custom .WAD when viewing the map, and since I've been playing these two recently, I decided to go ahead and make them.

I use batch files for all my doom needs, so I just add them in (on PrBoom+) with -deh.

All these do is add the level names, no more, no less.
I used myk's av.deh as a template to figure out how to do it, (edited them with notepad, heh.) so thanks to him.

Scythe II: http://files.filefront.com/scythe2deh/;12851646;/fileinfo.html

Hell Revealed II: http://files.filefront.com/hr2finaldeh/;12862809;/fileinfo.html

I'm thinking about going through all the megawads I like and creating deh files for them.

Edit: Here's Memento Mori. More soon.
http://files.filefront.com/mmdeh/;12853972;/fileinfo.html

Mike.Reiner said:

I'm thinking about going through all the megawads I like and creating deh files for them.

If you did this, it would be cool. It has always bugged me too.

Neat!

One important thing to keep in mind when making these, just in case you're not already aware, is that with vanilla Dehacked's string replacements you have to keep your replaced text to the same length as or shorter than the string it's replacing, or else you'd end up writing into other parts of the EXE. I'm assuming that sourceports replicating this behavior aren't subject to that limit, since they natively support the patches rather than actually having their innards hacked by them.

esselfortium said:

Neat!

One important thing to keep in mind when making these, just in case you're not already aware, is that with vanilla Dehacked's string replacements you have to keep your replaced text to the same length as or shorter than the string it's replacing, or else you'd end up writing into other parts of the EXE. I'm assuming that sourceports replicating this behavior aren't subject to that limit, since they natively support the patches rather than actually having their innards hacked by them.

These aren't being made with vanilla in mind, but only HR2's deh should be that way, I'm taking more care with the others (cleaning up the hr2 one right now)

The Green Herring said:

Had a look at those .DEHs. One thing I should note for the HR2 one: It's the Chapel of Black Granite, not the Castle. ;)

Doh. Fixed. (Edited link in first post.)

Sometimes when I'm feeling adventurous - or too lazy to fire up a Roguelike - I'll play on the automap. I tend to die a lot on unfamiliar maps.
These patches are handy - keep them coming.

I very much agree; I often have a look at the automap while the action is going on, mainly to familiarise myself with the area of map that the action is in / has shifted to... And the incorrect names bug me too. Without knowing anything source-code related I can only offer baseless questions, but shouldn't map names be readable directly from the PWad? I've done lots of Google dives etc but haven't really found any references as to why it's the way it is.

Gingercat said:

Without knowing anything source-code related I can only offer baseless questions, but shouldn't map names be readable directly from the PWad? I've done lots of Google dives etc but haven't really found any references as to why it's the way it is.

They are hardcoded into the vanilla exe.

*thumbs up*

I was actually thinking about someone doing this eventually (yes, seeing the incorrect map names is somewhat of an annoyance factor...), good job man!

Hate to bump an old thread, but does anyone have these files anymore? File Front deleted nearly everything (as I think it changed to another site or something).

That said, is there an updated place to look if possible? I'm looking for all the DEH files I can.