Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Plutonia Support! UPDATE

Excellent work! I actually had this idea independently but before I could suggest it, I found it had been done!

Is this done by adding the plutonia patches to the doom2.wad? How about generating a plutonia IWAD with the additional patches to avoid bloating the doom2 IWAD?

I think it would be best to just add them to the doom2.iwad, since thats what I did. Wont add that much bloat. Plutonia support added 2 mbs, tnt I estimate maybe 3 mbs more.

From my other thread asking for help on adding the tnt textures I said that the new resources could be used by mappers, would have alot more textures for people to map with.

Bear in mind that some textures have the same name in more than one IWAD, are different sizes or textures altogether.

DOOM1/Ultimate - also has the textures brnpois and steps 1-3, yet are different sizes to the ones in doom2.

PLUTONIA - also has the textures fireblu1-2, sw1/2skull and dbrain1 and dbrain4, which are different to doom2.

TNT - also has the textures sw1/2skull and sw1/2gston which are different textures and sizes to the ones in doom2.

I think this could create problems for the engine trying to work out which ones to use.

There might need to be separate iwads, or at least patches for these individual textures.

for Doom 1, there's already a separate target that takes care of those differences.

Although I don't think that the different styles used in Doom2/TNT/Plutonia are really of much concern to Freedoom, which is its own unique project. If it ends up being a problem, separate targets can be made, but I don't really see much of a problem at the moment...

I only added the ones missing from plutonia. This would cause plutonia pwads to not look right as same patches are actually for doom2. If 2 patches are the same name, I just keep the doom2 one.

There should not be any be real problems, just some visual oddness.

I am liking the tons of resources for mappers, but not really wanting one or two more complete iwads just for final doom.

When the new combined.txt is fully sorted out from the switches thread, I will edit it quite a bit.
It seems pl2 also has tex1 lmp, so my bad plutonia rigging was being covered up. Should not take too long.

SuperUltraBump to announce full plutonia support.

I finally worked the combined.txt so plutonia pwads dont crash or even show texture warnings.

Mappers can now see the extra textures in their editor while they map.

Jon said:

Is this done by adding the plutonia patches to the doom2.wad? How about generating a plutonia IWAD with the additional patches to avoid bloating the doom2 IWAD?

The last thing Freedoom needs is more build targets.

Can someone explain to me the usefulness of the "shareware" build target, by the way? Why would anyone want to use that IWAD instead of either Id Software's own shareware Doom IWAD or the "Ultimate" build of Freedoom?

Catoptromancy said:

I finally worked the combined.txt so plutonia pwads dont crash or even show texture warnings.

Coolness.

Gez said:

Can someone explain to me the usefulness of the "shareware" build target, by the way? Why would anyone want to use that IWAD instead of either Id Software's own shareware Doom IWAD or the "Ultimate" build of Freedoom?

I'm also trying to see the point in this. I can only think of one reason which would be file size but other than that I just don't get it either.

Originally, the shareware WAD was setup so that there was a small stand-alone IWAD target we could aim for resource-completion on rather than the mammoth commercial IWADs, and have something that you could play. An incentive, or a teaser.

fraggle said:

The last thing Freedoom needs is more build targets.

I can't see the harm: it's the same number of additional resources as if we combine them all; it makes the doom2 IWAD 2-5mb smaller by Catoptromancy's estimation; it avoids the resource naming clashes between the doom2 and tnt and plutonia IWADs that someone else pointed out.

Jon said:

Originally, the shareware WAD was setup so that there was a small stand-alone IWAD target we could aim for resource-completion on rather than the mammoth commercial IWADs, and have something that you could play. An incentive, or a teaser.

Oh okay that makes sence.

Jon said:

I can't see the harm: it's the same number of additional resources as if we combine them all; it makes the doom2 IWAD 2-5mb smaller by Catoptromancy's estimation; it avoids the resource naming clashes between the doom2 and tnt and plutonia IWADs that someone else pointed out.

After doing quite alot of tnt work, it will come out much smaller. 3 mbs total extra for complete final doom support. TNT has more patches but alot of them are very small.

There is only one major clash with plutonia and doom2, the blue/red hell animated doom2 textures are named the same as the moss/rock plutonia textures (start of map02). Thats really all I can see that will mess things up drastically. Not enough to really worry about.