Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guiddqd

Plutonia 2 Demos [-complevel 4]

DSDA page aka pl2 // pl2.wad

This is the thread for demos on Plutonia 2. -complevel 4 recommended.

------------------------------------------------------------------

After exiting my first pl2 game I had to try an UV speed for map01. The first map is always something special. Here is my try at speeding it:

http://users.skynet.be/fc175981/p201-uv-034-Gd.lmp

It can be a lot faster but I think the route is quite obvious.

EDIT by myk (Jan 4): Make sure you record with the Final DOOM executable or use -complevel 4. Other types of demos are also welcome on the forum, but they would not be in any resulting pack.

EDIT by myk (Jan 6): Please use the P2LV-TTT.LMP, TXT and ZIP naming format. This will ease making the pack eventually and also makes demo pattern handling easier.

Edited by Maribo

nice :-) btw I would like to make a separated thread for pl2 demos because I hope that there will be recorded a liitle more demos then just a few ones :-D

Gusta said:

nice :-) btw I would like to make a separated thread for pl2 demos because I hope that there will be recorded a liitle more demos then just a few ones :-D

Yeah, I agree. Obligatory question, do we want to make a demopack for Plutonia2? Such a big project deserves one imo. I will record stuff regardless, just want to throw out the obvious question.

I would prefer -complevel 2 myself ... even the demo recorders for original plutonia already prefered recording it with classic doom2.exe instead of final doom2.exe.

Some COMPET-N players do record with the DOOM II executable, but others use the Final DOOM executable too.

I recommend -complevel 4 or else playing the demos back with the DeHackEd patch won't be possible.

Keep in mind that without the DeHackEd patch you get the wrong music.

You'll also piss Pipicz off with -complevel 2, because his spiderdemon won't jump in as intended :p

Here is a copy of the Final DOOM executable for those who don't have it and would like to use it to record.

When recording demos of Final Doom, I always use doom2.exe v1.9 for Doom 2

myk said:

You'll also piss Pipicz off with -complevel 2, because his spiderdemon won't jump in as intended :p

What does that mean? Does Plutonia 2 have problems on complevel 2?

DeDo said:
Obligatory question, do we want to make a demopack for Plutonia2?

Sounds like a plan, but we might want to wait a few days to see if any bugs that might get in the way pop up, requiring an express update to fix.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:
What does that mean? Does Plutonia 2 have problems on complevel 2?

Not really, but in at least one occasion mappers placed monsters in ways that would make them teleport into the air and drop, which won't happen with the DOOM II executable.

The clearest drawback is that using the DOOM II executable you get Plutonia's music instead of the new music for Plutonia 2.

I think PL2 is updated once at least. I might have no time to record demos until the middle of March.

Of course, I agree with the demopack project. Though there is lmpwatch and almost people use proboom-plus when watching demos, it might be necessary to unify demos' format (complevel 4 or complevel 2). Music problem which is as myk said don't happen as long as you don't play back demos with Doom2.exe (I don't think a user bother to play back with vanilla's exe), so I want everyone to use complevel 2. however, I will follow their wishes. (Btw, I nearly turn off music not to miss listening hard to hear sounds of Doom2.exe when recording demos.)

Anyway, I'm enjoying walkthrough with GZDoom now.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:
(I don't think a user bother to play back with vanilla's exe)

I always play demos back with their "base" engine if possible (Doom or Boom). If no one did so, compatibility issues in the ports would slip by, anyway. Some may use Chocolate Doom, as well.

I don't think that the demo pack should be expressly oriented towards PrBoom/+. They are an option, of course, but by making such decisions you're pushing the original engines aside. The official compatibility level of PL2 (and Plutonia) is 4, not 2.

I used to dislike the teleporter effect but got used to it. It's not big deal.

COMPET-N allowed the original DOOM II executable for Plutonia because of an issue with autorun, which has been solved, so Plutonia 2 doesn't really need that exception.

Waiting for some time before startig the demopack sounds good as I'll have my hands full with exams in the coming weeks, but I'm ok with starting anytime.
About the compatibility level, if Plutonia 2 was designed to have Plutonia.wad as an iwad and was made to be compatible with vanilla Doom then I think there's no other option but comp 4. Someone might even record and/or watch everything with Doom2.exe so all demos must be compatible with it.
But I think we should sort this out when we start the project so that everyone who wants to participate says what they think.

ok so let's count on using -complevel 4 for all the demos then. No problem.

Thank you, all.
I thought we must save all watching users changing exe or complevel as often as they play back demos if we make demopack, so I approached on such a subject.

At present, the opinions that we have to use complevel 4 is strong, and it might be a decision. Of course, it is invalid as demopack's entry if the demo don't work correctly on complevel 4.

Btw, I will always use vanilla exe as long as I am not annoying that vanilla exe crash by overflow ("No more visplanes"). Actually Doom2.exe crashed 5 or 6 times by it, when I fought with a lot of Arch-Viles on ks21 with fast.

Here's my first demo release of 2009, and my first Plutonia 2 demo!

Well, sort of. It's actually for Sam Woodman's ancient one-level demo wad from back when Plutonia 2 was a Doom II PWAD. Given that Plutonia 2 has finally been released, I think recording on this is legal now. So without further ado, check it out.

P2DM-125 - UV max on Plutonia II pre-relase demo 1: map 13 - into engine winken (P2DEMO01.WAD) by Sam Woodman in 1:25

No one wanted to create a new thread for them and I sooo wanted to show off my first demo :) Now keep them flowing...
...and don't forget "-complevel 4" parameter!

speed/pacifist on map 05

p205-008.zip

I got 23 sec on map02 but i did not record :( so i gave dew a demo where i got 30 sec :) UV-skill.

And I'm kemisti btw.

Thx dew :-)
I just want to warn that Plutonia 2 will be Re-Released in next days due to some found bugs / mistakes. In most cases, the level structures will not be changed so the demos shouldn't desynch in Re-Released version ... but unfortunately not everywhere. Here is list of the maps, where it is possible that demo could (but doesn't have to) later desynch: 25, 27, 29
Anyway I also recorded some funny thing myself - map01 tyson in 5:14

p201t514.zip

The thread for pl2 demos has already been started, Grazza, can you please move the latest pl2-related replies there? I also warn there about upcoming pl2 Re-Release but I hope that the demos should not be endangered by not-compatibility so much ... but nothing is 100% sure now...

We have to use final doom compatibility for plutonia 2's demos. It is necessary to unify one compatibility. For example, Doom2.exe v1.9 (size 722629 bytes) for Final Doom, Proboom-plus complevel 4, and so on.

Please write such a thing on your first post, dew.

EDIT: Thank you, dew and myk.

Paging Schneelocke to this thread (or anyone else who could make a nice table for keeping track of the demos) :)

A starter for the UV Max set, map16 in 4:55.

p216-455.zip

runkman said:
I am sorry I post again but seems that I don't have permission to delete/edit posts nor attach files :( here you go: http://rapidshare.com/files/179836484/p202-30.zip.html

You can't edit attachments. The attachment browser is below the message box when you make a post. When you have a better demo just make a new post and attach it there.