Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ra02

World (as episodes in doom1)

Hello all, I started to create doom levels (I did long time ago so I decided to return) and I have an idea I want to make episodes, custom, so I want to know how was drawn the episode thingies (dunno how to say it) I can draw quite and I have ideas but then I want to make it look like that. I'm talking about this http://www.doomworld.com/pageofdoom/graphics/Wimap0.gif
Also if anyone wants to help me create levels and such tell me, cause I'm not so good at it. If my English sucks don't mind please I'm Slovak :D

So are you saying that you want to create a custom title screen?

Uhh, not exactly but when you finish the level the screen will pop-up with some sort of map as in doom 1.

if you are looking to implement this "map" behaviour in Doom 2, then you will need an advanced sourceport. if you're looking just to make new graphics, just play around with your image editing program and make some graphics to replace the existing ones.

Oh, I see. That sourceport you're saying, I'm not so skilled so I don't really know what that exactly means, can you tell me?

If you want to just change the picture inbetween levels to a new one you just create a new picture on some picture editing software such as photoshop and then you save it as a BMP and name it INTERPIC. Then open your wad in XWE and click entry, then load, then your new picture and make sure it is a GFX. that should do it.

Is it possible to make 5 Episodes in doom 1? E1M1 to E5M8? And then add those pictures in between each episode?

Ra02 said:

Is it possible to make 5 Episodes in doom 1? E1M1 to E5M8? And then add those pictures in between each episode?

this would require a sourceport such as ZDoom, but the scripting is easy, i'll upload a demo wad if necessary

Wheal then I'm looking for someone who would like to help me create this megawad, I have the ideas, but my mapping skills are minimum, I would need someone who knows a bit more. Thanks in advance.

Ra02, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Damn - when am I going to get a chance to post that meme!

Ra02 said:

Wheal then I'm looking for someone who would like to help me create this megawad, I have the ideas, but my mapping skills are minimum, I would need someone who knows a bit more. Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest you put your episode/megawad to one side for now and start with some smaller projects to develop your mapping skills. Looks like you also need to do some research - the editing tutorials at Rex's Nexus and the Doom Wiki are good starting points.

Yeah, I think you're right, but thanks anyways :), How many levels should it have for a beginning?

Single maps of moderate size are a good starting point, get some feedback on them (there are some people here who'll provide constructive criticism) and as your mapping improves consider moving up to more ambitious projects.

I agree with GreyGhost. Get some practice by making and releasing single maps before you concern yourself with any advanced features or resource replacement.

GreyGhost said:

Damn - when am I going to get a chance to post that meme!

I'll give you the next one.

Alright then I've started creating small-medium maps, I will do a one pack with 10 levels, then I'll post it here, the little story is simple, you begin at a balcony going through underground tunnels up to surface etc. you'll, still im on lvl 3 atm :D wish me luck, its good that I sometimes dream that im in doom :D and I memorize all my dreams so.. :)

Changing map names also requires more advanced editing techniques. I would just leave the names the way they are and put the proper names in a text file if I were you, but for the record, you can change the level names on the automap by using one of several programs to make a DeHackEd lump, which can be left outside of your wadfile or inserted into your wadfile with a wad editing program like XWE. Also, you can change the names that appear before and after playing the level by putting new level name image files into your wad, also with XWE. These new image files should have the same names as the equivalent image files in Doom.wad.

Wheal I've managed to sketch the intermission map for my project, this is the first episode: Earth's Damnation Its a crappy sketch took me less than hour, I know it need more buildings, and of course I'll get it colored. But what do you think for now?

Can you tell us what engine you're mapping for? If you want this to your project to work in all Boom-compatible ports (which is a good idea) you'll need your buildings to be in the same places that they are in the original intermission screens or else you'll have blood splats appearing in nonsensical places.

Aaaaaand once again, you probably shouldn't worry about this stuff just yet. Decent picture though. The hard part would be colouring and detailing it to look Doomy.

Thanks, wheal I don't know yet, if it isn't possible to script it differently then I'll redraw it to fit as the original.

I've drawn the 2nd episode which I will call Project MARS. Tell me what do you think about this one:

That's a good start, though you should try to keep significant locations in the same spots they occupy in WIMAP1 - apart from the blood splats a couple of buildings change shape during the course of the episode. I'd suggest you focus on the crater and do away with the surrounding terrain.

I haven't quite understood the thing about the crater, what excatly did you ment? Wheal then I'll have to redraw the maps if it isn't possible to script it differently

What I mean is - if all the action takes place at locations in the crater (I might be wrong about that) the area outside the crater - while it could make for a great looking map screen - will (if the image is rescaled to 320x200) result in the crater looking cramped and under-detailed. You could alternately use the top half of the picture as the sky for that episode.

Wheal I would like to have it as you see it (my scanner cut the lower and upper quarter) Here's both pictures as I want to have the levels:

and