Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prower

ATTENTION: ALIEN VENDETTA KICKS ASS

Hello. Some of you may know me as "prower, the lovable cuddle-bug of the Doom community." Others may know me as "prower, the guy that made that one level series." Still others may know me as "PROWER WTF THAT GUY HATED GOTHIC2, WHAT A FAG, HE SUX DIX." And the rest of you who don't know me can kindly die.

Ahem, my point is, Alien Vendetta, my friends, is the best fucking (mega)wad in a long. long. long. time. Though great wads have trickled in through /newstuff, it has been far too long since an excellent levelset has been released (and no, Darkening 2 doesn't count, cause it blows (no offense Ola and the gang)) - and now, we get not just any level set, but 32 levels of pure ecstasy. If Jesus made a megawad, this is what it'd be like.

OK, first things first. Gameplay. Somebody who I don't care to look up said that "it's like playing Doom for the first time" - and that's so very true. This, my friends, is what Doom 2 should've been. It nigh-perfectly captures the essence of the original Doom's furious, fast-paced gameplay, clever tricks, and devious traps. Ammo/enemy balance is excellent; you can tell there was extensive playtesting done on this level set. Simply put, AV is the most fun I've had playing Doom in a long time.

Architecture is also excellent. I hear a lot of people saying "OH IT DOESN'T HAVE 80.5 MILLION SIDEDEFS SO IT'S NOT DETAILED, MAIN THE ARCHITECTURE SUCKS." But if you take all technical views aside, the architecture really is amazing. It accomplishes a "beauty through simplicity" kind of thing. The actual level structures are original and cool, sometimes non-linear, sometimes linear, always fun.

Admittedly, I haven't gotten very far into the wad yet - I'm at level 9 or so, I think; I'll post a more "formal" review when I'm finished (maybe) - but even with the level I've already played I know that this is truly a modern classic. I give it 200/200 stars, which is the more eloquent way of saying "DOWNLOAD IT NOW, FAGS."

Eh, it was released??? I thought it was another one of those "Millennium" projects...you know, "Oh, it's almost done. Just got a bit more tweaking to do."

Then something happens like the engine has to be made over from scratch...

So, where's Vendetta? Someone link me, I'm too lazy to exit the forums.

Hey, it's not my fault Lüt had me locked up in the basement doing Millennium stuff :P

If Jesus made a megawad

it wouldnt be for doom2

{{{{{Rancid-Radio}}}}}

Heh =)

Hmm, Prower's actually right, Vendetta is incredible. I'm only on level 5 right now, but I was warping through and I saw one level with 1600 monsters. 1600 fucking monsters!

I just installed it, and have been playing it non-stop for the last 6 hours. Un-fucking-believable. My favorite megawad so far. Insane amounts of enemies, incredible levels, awesome architecture, and more. Something tells me I won't be getting much homework done this Christmas vacation...

I usually don't play wads at all, but this is a huge exception. Oh well, back to the game.

Yes, it is good, but I've found some of the "part 2" missions to be rather boring. It gets better at part three. It just doesn't leave those "warm memories" that Requiem left though... except form map 31. (in AV)

For me, it's leaving memories and creating whole new experiences. They've made the perfect balance. And I love the "old-school" architecture. It doesn't have three billion linedefs as Prower pointed out, but it still feels detailed. And it doesn't use special effects, either, so to me it still feels like the original doom.

Hey, thanks for that link.
I just found out that, even though I can't acess the net through my computer in my room, I can download files from here directly to my computer. Cool...I hope that there isn't some crashing error when it finishes.

I just installed it, and have been playing it non-stop for the last 6 hours. Un-fucking-believable. My favorite megawad so far. Insane amounts of enemies, incredible levels, awesome architecture, and more. Something tells me I won't be getting much homework done this Christmas vacation...

I usually don't play wads at all, but this is a huge exception. Oh well, back to the game.

I have to agree 100%, What a kick in the pants to play. I had been needing some new maps to play. Damn happy I got this one.

Well, just beat the level "Suicidal Tendancies". Wow. Not only awesome architecture, but TONS of enemies. 592 enemies on UV. Oh my God. The next level is called "Overwhelming Odds", and it has 644 enemies. It's gonna be a long night...

Probably not even that, as they won't be alive a millennium from now.

but lüt will...

Damnit, did someone saw my Millennium ad on Ling's thread? It's actually progressing, sheesh.

Yep this is potentially the best megawad yet,the coming months will tell.It seems to have great balance architechture/detail/gameplay,with gameplay coming top.Boy does the difficulty hike around map13 too.
This should have been what Doom2 would have been,yes,but in reality it's taken 8 years of evolution to get here.
Now if Satan had've made a wad....

Probably not even that, as they won't be alive a millennium from now.

but lüt will...

Damnit, did someone saw my Millennium ad on Ling's thread? It's actually progressing, sheesh.

Despite the fact that the entire engine needs to be redone.

Well, just beat the level "Suicidal Tendancies". Wow. Not only awesome architecture, but TONS of enemies. 592 enemies on UV. Oh my God. The next level is called "Overwhelming Odds", and it has 644 enemies. It's gonna be a long night...

There's one with over 1600 monsters. Just letting you know...

Yeah well, at least no one will have to surrender to Allegro anymore, and Joel will be able to recover and return from the Glimmering Stars Mental Hospital.

Yeah well, at least no one will have to surrender to Allegro anymore, and Joel will be able to recover and return from the Glimmering Stars Mental Hospital.

I'm actually very happy about this. First of all, there is actually an excuse for the new beta not to come out. Second of all, I can play Alien Vendetta and most importantly, Nimrod. Third of all, NO MORE ALLEGRO!!!!!