Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

High quality original Doom sfx - updated 01-08-10

The only Archvile related sounds I've found so far is the burning fire sounds; dsflame.voc and dsflamst.voc - not sure when the last file is used, if it's used at all. The attack sound could harmlessly be replicated without the original sounds though, as it isn't that important I feel. Maybe you've found some more Dgon92?

I figured I could make an (alternative) extra sound pack which replace the 40 remaining sounds, but these sounds would not be as true to the originals as the ones in my current pack. Although, I don't think I have the heart to replace the Cacodemon and Baron of Hell sounds. I've only partially found the Baron of Hell death sound.

perkristian Woah, they sound awesome, I always wished someone would do this.
When you release it can I package it for doomsday and host it on the doomsday website?

KuriKai:
That's no problem. I'll be honored to be a part of Doomsday :-)

The sound pack should work on any port that supports playing sounds effects at different frequencies.

The one time I have a computer with neither a working sound card nor enough total hard drive space this has to come up. Right now I'm borrowing an ATM brain converted into a Windows 98 machine that's slow as fuck yet still internet capable, and I feel like I'm missing out on this! I hope I don't forget about this by the time I get my own computer back.

/me heartily awaits the return of beloved machine

Prince recorded the Archvile’s death sound if I'm not mistaken. I think it was a little girl that says "Why" A number of other sounds were Princes and the boys fucking around so I think you will be forced to make new renditions.

perkristian said:

The attack sound could harmlessly be replicated without the original sounds though, as it isn't that important I feel. Maybe you've found some more Dgon92?

No, the sound is unique. I think it's produced with an explosion sound (or it could be a reversed thunder sound) slowed WAY down and then "modulated" to the current speed, like when you use your mod and pitch wheel on your synthesizer at the same time. I do question how you are able to create the Baron of Hell sounds though, like the death sound. Where did that sound come from, and what effect did you use on it?

Both Prince and Romero are very social guys so why not e-mail them? I'm sure they would like to give some insight into how the sounds were made so you can accurately replicate them.

Technician said:

A number of other sounds were Princes and the boys fucking around so I think you will be forced to make new renditions.

For instance, I remember Romero saying that the Revenant's punching sound were made by him and Bobby. Romero made sure that it made him laugh every time he heard it.

Dgon92:
I have not made the Baron of Hell sounds and will never manage to make exact replicas of them. I've only found a sound which is a part of the death sound, but it still needs to be mixed with another sound (which probably Bobby Prince made) and have the right effect applied.

I have both the Revenant punch and arm swing sounds (100% accurate) ready and I think it should be possible to create the heat seeking rocket launcher sound.

Maybe I'll drop Bobby Prince a line when I've released the sound pack and written a little about how I made different sound.

Hey perkristian, I really like this, it's a nice project and I can't wait until I can play Doom with sound and music like this!

Also listening to your music man, they are very clear and some are very intense (probably as they were intended to be by Bobby Prince), good stuff!

This is just plaim amazing. Truly. I have already fallen in love with the sounds already -- and all I've heard is that mp3. ;P

As for asking Prince and Romero: do it. They will undoubtedly show great interest (and possibly more). Go 2 It!

Great stuff aside from the Super Shotgun firing which sounds more like a slightly beefed Shotgun firing noise rather than the original Super Shotgun sound.

TheDarkArchon said:

Great stuff aside from the Super Shotgun firing which sounds more like a slightly beefed Shotgun firing noise rather than the original Super Shotgun sound.

Yeah it needs a little more emphasis on the 'boom' and less on the shotgun.

Just for the sake of curiosity, perkristian, what sound bank are you using, what sounds did you use already, and what sound editing tool are you using?

Thanks to the great response to my music I've added a new Doom track on my website;
http://www.perkristian.net/music/perkristian_doom-e2m2.ogg
The Demons from Adrian's Pen

I cannot guarantee that each track I make will be better/worse than the others, but hopefully it will have somewhat the same general quality/sound as the rest of my tracks.

TheDarkArchon:
Actually I am pretty satisfied with the Super shotgun sound. The original is a beefed up version of the regular shotgun sound too, but it also has a feedback kinda echo. I guess BP added that to simulate the two barrels being fired at once, but if you think of it another way it can also sound like the shotgun is being fired inside a small room. Think I just leave it as it is for now.

Dgon92:
I've used lots of sounds! :-) Well, most of them are from Sound Ideas series 6000, the Lucas film library and some Italian stuff called Effetti Sonori. I'll explain some sounds more thoroughly when I update my website with the sound pack.
As to sound editing I use Cool Edit 95 (period correct software you might say) and Sound Forge 6.0 (mainly for music). I prefer Cool Edit 95 because it's simple, quick and easy - and I've used it since it was brand new.

Most impressive. kurikai just linked me to your site and I really do like what I hear.

As for the random pitch stuff going a bit haywire in the Doomsday 1.9.0-beta releases; it is a known issue and will be addressed before the final 1.9.0 release (I'm actually working on the audio systems atm, yes I am a developer).

Feel free to contact me about any issues or ideas you have for Doomsday's audio stuff.

Technician said:

Prince recorded the Archvile’s death sound if I'm not mistaken. I think it was a little girl that says "Why" A number of other sounds were Princes and the boys fucking around so I think you will be forced to make new renditions.

yes, he said that. and textures made from snakeskin boots and wounds - that's creativity.

per kristian, your work is undoubtedly the best of all remakes and remixes of the doom sound i've heard so far. what really sets them apart from the rest is their crisp quality that makes them feel real, and the use of instruments not heard in other remakes. go on, i don't want to play doom without these sounds ;)

E2M2 sounds awesome. My fav. of the original midis.
You really brought a new dimension to the music even enhancing the "being sucked into another world".
The new versions feel vast, unexplainable yet beautiful.
Props - really fits the cult and mystery of Doom.

Do you think you could release an alpha version of the soundfx? I could care less if some sounds are missing, so far I love what I've been hearing.

The release will sort of be an alpha I guess, I'll try to speed up a little!

Making the e2m2 track ate up some time, but it was worth it, thanks ;-)

Got my computer back, and finally had a chance to check this out.

I must say, words cannot express the sheer awesomeness of what you're doing for Doom community right now! Who knows? Maybe next a job at id is in store for you!

Keep it up!

It sounds amazing, perkristian! Did you get the original versions of DOOM's sounds from that sound library they're from? Or did you recreate them from scratch? Either way, thanks for the teaser, hope you'll be able to complete your work.

The comments are greatly appreciated :-)
Here is another (short) teaser where I use the Plasma rifle on Bloodfalls:
http://home.online.no/~per-kr/Stuff/pk_doom_sfx-music_-_bloodfalls.mp3
It's with the Plasma rifle sound I plan to include in the sound pack - if it's approved?

The sounds are taken from different places. Like for instance the thumping fall sound of the pink daemon when it dies is taken from Vampire Bloodlines as I didn't find it in any sound library.

Most of the sounds are from the sound libraries, but after a sound is found there is lots of cutting, editing, mixing, filtering and fading work involved. Many of the sounds are a bit pale coming directly from the library, so I've filtered them and made them sound more crisp and fat.