Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

High quality original Doom sfx - updated 01-08-10

Wow this is awesome, really. :o
By far the best Doom music remakes around imho.
Keep up the good work perkristian !!

The only complain I might dare to say is about the Plasma Gun sound : it's good but it doesn't feel that close to the original ( more like the UT Flak Cannon indeed ).

Da Spadger said:

The plasma rifle sounds like the flak cannon in UT.

It does sound rather familiar (but really cool). I'm curious of the origin of both sounds now.

Heh, I guess I'm not the only one who thought the Plasma sounded similar to the Flak Cannon. Otherwise it's all still very awesome sounding!

The plasma gun sounds a little outta place. It sounds more derivative of the plasma gun from doom 3.

The plasma gun has a loud 'pow' when fires, and also the pitch gets higher as it fires, not lower. Maybe it should be reversed or something.

Also, did you replace the arachnatron walking sound or is that the one from the IWAD?

These new sounds and music remixes remind me of how awesome and unique the sound and music seemed back in '94. I haven't felt this much nostalgia since chocolate doom came out.

Holy jesus the awesomeness of these high quality sounds and music is almost too much to bear. Looking forward to what you've got in store in the (hopefully) near future. :D

Correct, it's bits of the UT flak cannon in the plasma sound, I kinda like that *blam* star on it. If I don't find any better sound for the plasma rifle I'll just leave it out, but keep it in my personal sound pack :-)
The original Plasma fire sounds like the pistol sound with a added electric effect sound, could look into something like that.

The Arachnatron walk sound is only IWAD, no luck in finding that yet.

BTW:
Is it any point in making a sort of music pack? Different ports may have different ways of using external files for music, or am I wrong? I'll also make more tracks, but only once in a while.
The sound effects are all in a WAD.

I would tend to agree. Nearly all modern ports support (at least) music playback direct from "loose" files its just a case of putting them in the correct place and naming them accordingly.

Don't worry about packaging this yourself, if required others will step up to do the necessary packaging for their port of choice. Just accompany your download(s) with a note in the readme (or such) to that affect. You could always host any packages others make.

One thing I will say is, definitely don't put them in a WAD. All a "music pack" should be is a collection of download links to the individual songs (or an archive containing them all) plus a set of definitions (if required) and instructions for each port.

You must finish the sound pack its really incredible :).
I personally think the plasma sound is way off though.

Yes, I am working on it!
Thanks for the feedback about the plasma gun sound. It's dropped, even though I like it.
While I still haven't found a good plasma sound, yesterday I stumbled over the DSRADIO sound - which is maybe not of the most important sounds in Doom, but heck; as I haven't found much sounds lately anything is welcome...

perkristian said:

Yes, I am working on it!
Thanks for the feedback about the plasma gun sound. It's dropped, even though I like it.
While I still haven't found a good plasma sound, yesterday I stumbled over the DSRADIO sound - which is maybe not of the most important sounds in Doom, but heck; as I haven't found much sounds lately anything is welcome...

I think you're about to hit a limit, at where talking to bobby and john might be your best bet. I'm sure someone here has already E-mailed both of them (Myabe even you have) so the only thing we can do really is to wait. Or march to Dallas.

Thanks!

"Would this work in vanilla?" I wonder.

Edit: This is interesting. I'm noticing the high frequency harmonics, which I suppose would be the first thing to disappear at a low sampling rate. I'm also noticing significant contrast between the new sounds and the old unreplaced ones, which makes the old sounds seem duller than I ever realized they were - and this is no fault of yours, of course. All in all I do like this, and I think I'll try playing it with some new mods.

perkristian said:

I think you're right Csonicgo.

I haven't found any new sounds in a while now, so it's time to release the sound pack at its current state.

The sound pack is now available here:
http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml

It's just a small 2.10 MB download, but it makes a big difference!

Enjoy!

Could you upload a version that is not contained inside a wad?

Creaphis said:
"Would this work in vanilla?" I wonder.

Yes, these are 8-bit sounds in the Doom format.

This adds a whole new dimension to Doom. The sounds are so crisp and meaty. I did like the plasma sound you made but it gave it a differant feel. I love the rocket fwoosh and the bfg, you nailed them. And the lift sound. And the monster sounds. I don't know how you did it but they're excellent.

I don't mean to use all your bandwidth but I downloaded and listened to all of your music too :D

Congrats. This is a really nice pack. Makes DOOM sound alive to me once again.

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of repacking this into a ZIP, in addition I've added a simple Info file for use with the Doomsday Engine frontend, get it here: http://files.dengine.net

DaniJ, thanks for repacking it properly!

SonicIce, just go ahead and download anything you want, don't think the server will brake. It wouldn't be my problem anyway.

Nice to know the sounds are appreciated :-)

I like the pack a lot, though I wish the high quality plasma sound was still available optionally, I liked the way it sounded.
You did a really good job, and though it's already been mentioned a bunch, your music is really good too.

I was using the sound pack in ZDoom with the HRTF filter enabled and it sounded really good, I made a recording of me playing Doom: Lost Episode (E5M1) in case anyone was wondering what it sounds like. Also, for those that are curious, my midi driver for ZDoom is set to use the Yamaha XG softsynth, that's not an mp3/ogg, just midi.

It is so good to see this project getting the attention and the support it thoroughly deserves.

*downloads

Just listening to the pre-release sound fx/music files while I was editing was awesome enough! Now to actually play some Doom with them. Woohoo!!!

speaking of the shotgun sound, I couldn't help but detect the rocket explosion sound everytime it fired. During the first few plays with it I thought I was being hunted by revenants.

Perkristian, I've noticed that you don't have the item pickup sound in your sound pack. Well, no need to worry, I've just created it! Right here! I'll email the sound to you soon.

Heh! Thanks to your SFX pack, I just realized the Pain Elemental see sound is the same as the Spiderdemon's, only slightly altered. After 15 years of DOOM, I still manage to learn new stuff about it :D

I just sent out an email to Bobby Prince, seeing if we can recruit him to help out on this quest for sounds. I'll edit this when (if?) he responds.

Is it just me, or is the grunt from the Cyberdemon death sequence the same sound as an alert sound for the zombiemen/sergeant?

Perkristian. I was listening really closely to the plasma gun sound, and for each 'round' fired the sound rises in pitch, and seems to phase through several frequencies as well. The sound sounds kinda 'musical' as in it goes through distinct pitches, rather than being a purely 'percussive' sound. Have you tried doubling the sound, so that it is slightly out of phase with itself, or tried scrolling through a series of frequencies for each round of plasma fired?

You are probably way ahead of me, and have tried lots of things already, but what the hell, I'll throw my thoughts in.

Amazing job on the sounds by the way. The best I have heard. :)