Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

High quality original Doom sfx - updated 01-08-10

Kyka said:

Is it just me, or is the grunt from the Cyberdemon death sequence the same sound as an alert sound for the zombiemen/sergeant?

The Cyberdemon death sound is made from the rocket exploding and zombie death, so it sounds a little similar.

MasterOFDeath said:

The Cyberdemon death sound is made from the rocket exploding and zombie death, so it sounds a little similar.

It's a death sound?

ooops. So much for my hearing.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

The Cyberdaemon death sound is a Possessed Human sound mixed with a slightly different version of the explosion.

And it's pretty obviously DSPOSIT2.

Frequency analysis of DSPLASMA (looped 6 times):

Yes, the Cyberdaemon death is a shorter DSPOSIT2 mixed with a slightly different explosion - as per the original. The Spider Mastermind death sequence contains an even shorter DSPOSIT2.

As close as I can figure, the Plasma rifle sound is made up of three sounds:
1. The pistol/chaingun fire sound
2. A low pitch electric spark
3. The "slide up" synth sound - which sound similar to the sound when someone shrinks in Duke Nukem 3D.

It might be possible to recreate the synth sound, I haven't gotten around to try it yet. The electric spark should be easily found.

YMB:
Thanks for contacting Bobby Prince, hopefully he can shed some lights on the remaining sounds.

This is really good! Thanks for the time you've spent searching through sound files, you've obviously done a really good job.

On a light-hearted note, have you considered trying to reproduce the Commander Keen sound effects? :-)

Bloodshedder said:

Frequency analysis of DSPLASMA (looped 6 times):

picture of frequency analysis

What program did you use for that, Bloodshedder?

And perkristian, you're a master sound editor. You've surprised me on how well you do your job. I've never seen somebody put so much effort into creating sounds for this community, and it's nice of us to help solve the mysteries on how the sounds of Doom were created.

fraggle said:

On a light-hearted note, have you considered trying to reproduce the Commander Keen sound effects? :-)

I'll probably take a crack at it. They're made by a basic sound wave, so that'll be easy.

Dgon92,
Thanks you for the comment, I love to edit sounds and have done a lot of it!

About the Commander Keen sounds :-)
They are not on the top of my list of sounds to get, although I've tried DOSbox but the pain and death sounds were not the same. I've disabled the pc-speaker on my pc, maybe they sound the same when using it? The Commander Keen sounds have a certain "recorded with mic" quality, and that's maybe how they're made.

perkristian said:

The Commander Keen sounds have a certain "recorded with mic" quality, and that's maybe how they're made.

I didn't check, but maybe the native PC speaker sounds in doom2.wad itself would sound like intended on an actual PC speaker.
Of course, one could record the sounds with a mic, though since every PC speaker sounds different, it would be hard to find the intended sound.
The other thing, isn't the point of this to get a clean sound rather than those old style low-fi? Thus, capturing the PC speaker sound off an emulator sounds reasonable to me.
On the other hand, since they seem to did record it with a mic, it is probably supposed to sound ancient, just not with a limited frequency response and quantisation noise.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Commander Keen sounds should be reproducible in DOSBox running Commander Keen.

NO. DOSBox has issues with Keen's sound effects. It's best to dig out a vintage machine, and record that

wtf are high quality Commander Keen soundfx? What about the Supercharge sound? Isn't that just a gong?

Originally posted by Romero on Friday, January 23, 2009
It's 2008

Sure.

I really like the MAP03 rerecording since the strings give a strong atmosphere over the original use of pizzicato strings.

Personally, I think E1M7 would sound better if using the sawtooth like on the MIDI file and the SNES Doom version.

Where exactly did Romero say a word about the owner (or lack thereof) of the original sounds?

Click on the image in the post.

Romero:
It's 2008

Glad to see Romero showing love for the classics.

Reaper978 said:

Click on the image in the post.

I see. I didn't notice you could do that. "next room", that was a good one.

Csonicgo said:

UPDATE: Looks like John Romero doesn't have them.

http://rome.ro/2009/01/random-im-friday.html

I guess we're on our own then. Haven't found any new sounds lately, although I've tried to replicate a couple:
dsboscub.wav
dsmandth.wav
The sloppy part (also used as a door sound in DN3D) of the mancubi death is correct but not the rest. Originally the falling down thump is the same as on pinky, but slowed down, the moan is probably BP.

For those who want it, here's the plasma gun sound I use:
dsplasma.wav

An update for the sound pack could be the 16-bit version of the sounds, but then using the pack would be different for each port I think.

perkristian said:

but then using the pack would be different for each port I think.

not necessarily

yeah I thought a 'high quality' sound pack being 8-bit and 32000hz was kind of odd. Dunno what you were aiming for there :O

I find the pack a bit too bassy and the shotgun has way too much 'explosion' mixed in there.

leileilol said:

not necessarily

Not all sourceports support 16-bit sounds. Personally, I appreciate that they're 8-bit. They sound good enough to me, in any case.

I love it, however like leileilol said, the barrel sound is way too easy to detect in the shotgun, I didn't notice it as much in the original IWAD sounds.

OK, I’ll have another go at the shotgun sound. Got to make it from scratch again though…

The switch sound and Revenant punch may be a little too oomphy, but I feel the rest of the sounds are fine. I deliberately added more punch to the BFG explosion as the original is quite puny – after all; it is a B-F-G :-)

What’s high-quality or not is of course not for me to decide, but lies in the ears of the beholder. I chose 32 kHz / 8-bit because of a couple of reasons:

The audible difference between 44.1 kHz and 32 kHz is next to none, unless one has a super high-end speaker system and very good ears. 44.1 kHz / 16-bit look good on paper, but don’t necessarily need to be better.
Many Doom sounds are played at half the original CD sampling rate. Take for instance the monster and possessed human pain sounds – they’re slowed down from 44.1 to 22 kHz. I also have a strange feeling of that re-sampling a sound from 44.1 to 32 kHz after lot of tweaking smooth out the sound.
To make the sounds compatible with most Doom ports, 8-bit is the way to go. I’ve tried to minimize the 8-bit noise as much as possible, although a little hissing on some sounds cannot be avoided.

Are you going to get around to the music once you get as much of the sound effects done? I look forward to it if you saw my comments earlier.

The sound pack is now updated with a new shotgun sound and some minor tweaks on a few other sounds:
http://www.perkristian.net/sounds/pk_doom_sfx_20090326.wad

Thanks for addressing the issue about the shotgun, it's closer to the original now.

Mr. Chris:
The thing is that e1m7 is sort of final. I haven't got the separate audio tracks as I recorded it in one shot. I could try to record only the sawtooth sound and layer it on top of it, maybe only on the second part of the track - to add some change.

perkristian said:

Thanks for addressing the issue about the shotgun, it's closer to the original now.

you could probably ramp the explosion bit down a bit earlier before the cocking to get an even closer effect. I know i'm nitpicking, but it's sounding promising.

leileilol said:

you could probably ramp the explosion bit down a bit earlier before the cocking to get an even closer effect. I know i'm nitpicking, but it's sounding promising.

Not nitpicking at all, just perfection :-) The Shotgun sound is one of the most important sounds in Doom, the sound pack is yet again updated.

i always play doom with this wad file now. It is great! You should download it if you haven't already.

Wohoo, DSMETAL is now found! It should also be possible to do the baby spider walk sound. The sound pack is updated.

Many many thanks to Zack for making me aware of the source for this sound.